Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler JKR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
My 2020 Subaru STI has three drive modes. It defaults to Sport. If I twist the knob clockwise it goes to Sport# (more torque down low). If I hold the button down it goes to intelligent mode (less torque everywhere). I tried intelligent mode once to see how horrible it was. Never going to try it again.

I don't want ECO on a Bronco. If it came with a manual, I could do it all "manually." :D My 2015 Wrangler will tell me on the instrument cluster if I'm in ECO territory. It also has a green bar on the tachometer to tell me where to stay to keep it in ECO. That's fine. I don't want any more torque management, emissions helping, warranty saving, throttle by wire and wastegate actuation on turbo cars to make them more gutless.

My STI gets about 25mpg highway when I'm doing 70mph at about 5 inches of vacuum in the intake manifold. Normally it gets 20mpg combined and less when driving aggressively. It's a 15+ year old design with an 8.5:1 static compression. It's even got hydraulic power steering and no auto start/stop.
Sponsored

Straight 6

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
On the Mustang (manual) the modes make the throttle twitchier, so less travel to get more gas. So I’d assume Eco mode just makes it so you have to floor it to get any kind of acceleration.
You got it exactly

Eco just gives changes the throttle curve, so if you ask for 30% it gives you 20%..... But if you need to get up to speed you will just push the throttle further and basically negate what eco mode does

Eco mode does nothing to boost steady state efficiency

Do you guys really think there could be a special button that magically gives more mpg? C'mon guys...... There's no free lunch.

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eco mode, don't need it, I have that when I park it every night

Corsair

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Has anyone who is blasting Eco mode ever driven a car with drive modes?!

Bronco most likely will start in Eco mode for emissions and we’ll have to toggle to Normal or Sport at start up. You’ll get used to it.

I don’t normally use the Eco mode in my previous or current vehicles, but I’m glad it’s there when i do!
If normal is not the default mode, it can not rightfully by labeled as such. ??‍♂

Sponsored

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No eco mode.
I can see the Sport having an eco mode but not this bad boy. It just clashes with its free-roaming wild and carefree character.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
On the Mustang (manual) the modes make the throttle twitchier, so less travel to get more gas. So I’d assume Eco mode just makes it so you have to floor it to get any kind of acceleration.
I always thought Ford should have an Eco mode that takes out the boost in EcoBoost. As in, what if it basically shutoff the turbo? That would show some real-world MPG gains and it would be worth doing in some scenarios like city streets and heavy traffic, where the turbo does nothing helpful. Anybody who wanted to play red-light racer could leave it in "normal" mode.

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I don't mind having it, but I probably won't really use it, and likely wouldn't miss it if I didn't have it.

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You got it exactly

Eco just gives changes the throttle curve, so if you ask for 30% it gives you 20%..... But if you need to get up to speed you will just push the throttle further and basically negate what eco mode does

Eco mode does nothing to boost steady state efficiency

Do you guys really think there could be a special button that magically gives more mpg? C'mon guys...... There's no free lunch.
Your argument presumes that anytime you speed up in eco mode you will get annoyed and mash the gas petal. I don't think that applies to everyone, particular those who would be inclined to activate an eco button.

If eco mode reduced throttle by 10% and you otherwise did not change your driving style, you'd just be accelerating more slowly and would absolutely get better mpg. There's no way you couldn't.

Weld3z

Outer Banks
First Name
Ahmed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To be honest well love any free extra stuff except auto start !!

Sponsored

GotGOAT

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I love that it has ECO mode!!!
This is a mode that I will never use but, if including it allows Ford to meet their corporate EPA mandate, I’m all for it.
I would rather have a mode I’ll never use, then only the Bronco Sport being available.
Trade offs like this are what makes my dream of owning my favorite “truck” from my youth (with modern performance and convenience) possible.
Look at the positives...we are getting OUR Bronco back!

Lee Woiteshek

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Toyota Matrix
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The First Edition is essentially a Badlands with Sasquatch and a few other options, so it makes sense that if the Badlands doesn't have Sport, neither would FE.

You may be right that Ford planned to only offer a max of 7 modes, but the real question is why. If it's just a software thing, then it's essentially arbitrary, as it seems like writing software to support 8 modes wouldn't be any more challenging than 7. In that case it was probably a marketing decision to not offer ALL modes on any trim.

It would make more sense if it was due to Sport not being supported with certain gearing, since the Badlands defaults to larger tires and suspension. But that raises the question of if Sport is available in other trims if they have Sasquatch.
I would guess the sport mode will be offered on the Raptor/Warthog Bronco giving you the 8 modes with a 3.5... Otherwise why purchase?

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I have it in my F150 3.5, makes a big difference on MPG if i am just tooling around town. other then that Sport mode for racing the Hondas :)

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I drive 700 miles to work and back once a month. I will be using it on those trips.
Sponsored