First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I’ll be camping and running trails with a 75 pound dog In my 2 door Badlands. What ideas are out there for safety and comfort for my buddy?
Does he prefer to drive or just sleep in the back? ;)

Okay, so on the serious side, do you mean like harnesses or slings?

OP
OP
CraigB

CraigB

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1976 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Too big for a dog car seat but you could def do a harness and seatbelt tie down. I forget all the physics per second per second crap but 75lbs going 60 mph turns into a projectile.
It looks like there are two tie downs in the back.

Sponsored

mds5917

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Badlands, '21 Toyota RAV4 Prime
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, exactly.
(when he drives, he chases the mail man)
LOL! As @BEM-S4 said, big dogs are big projectiles, so a good harness and a tether that latches into the seatbelt (with appropriate weight ratings) would be important. I have 2 dogs - one about 70 lbs and the other almost 60 lbs and we do this, but you definitely need to adjust the length of the tether otherwise they'll get plastered on the back of your seat when some idiot pulls out on you unexpectedly...but better than flying by you into the windshield.

Hjhof

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Also wondering this, especially if we take the doors off on the beach, have an 90 pound dog and a puppy that probably will be about 50 fully grown. We strap the puppy in pretty good right now but would want to prevent as much bouncing as possible. Tube doors might be a thing down the like for me

Bronco Finder

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F150 , Broncos 76, 75, 72, 72, 68, 67, 66
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Well a 4 door would be the safest , thats what I'm getting for my 2 German Shepherds and put them in crates. :p

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Probably not what you are asking but I'll be building my pal a ramp that I can extend out the back onto the ground for him to climb up. He'll be almost 11 when I take delivery and he's been with me on every single outdoor adventure I've had in the last decade. We've climbed icy mountains, canoed through states, and been on backpacking adventures. He would be a mess if he ever found me packing my gear and he didn't get to go. I'm happy to oblige. Last year at 8pm every night he would go stand by the back of my SUV (when dispersed camping) until I lift him in. He gets out every hour to check on me and every hour I have to hoist him back in. Hopefully he can get the hang of a ramp.

BEM-S4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs & Porsches
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
LOL! As @BEM-S4 said, big dogs are big projectiles, so a good harness and a tether that latches into the seatbelt (with appropriate weight ratings) would be important. I have 2 dogs - one about 70 lbs and the other almost 60 lbs and we do this, but you definitely need to adjust the length of the tether otherwise they'll get plastered on the back of your seat when some idiot pulls out on you unexpectedly...but better than flying by you into the windshield.
I was in a bad accident in my Touareg... codeveloped with Porsche so the car was well engineered. I was doing 30-ish in lower Manhattan when a cab ran a stop sign, going about the same speed, hit me headlamp to headlamp bent my frame and everything. $31K in damage. Dog (15lbs so not as bad) was in his lookout seat but more importantly harness and tether. He was a little scared but not a scratch on him. Back seat helped too since he didn't take an airbag in the face.

When harness shopping get the widest straps, most padded you can. Spreads the impact out across the sternum and rib cage vs. single point of damage. This one is a good example...

https://ruffwear.com/collections/dog-harnesses/products/load-up-dog-car-harness

Whatever you do, never ever tie a dog down in a car using a collar. Better off leaving the dog loose and having it thrown clear of the vehicle if you don't have a harness for whatever reason.

Sponsored

RunninRiot

Badlands
First Name
Brock
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs