Sponsored

Driving 80+ mph on highway with new Bronco?

John B+9

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 F-150, '13 Golf TDI, '21 GX460
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Probably -- NO!
Gotta agree. Several features fighting against high-speed highway comfort:
- Large frontal area, including those big old mirrors (wind noise)
- All-terrain tires (road noise)
- Removable roof and doors (not optimum for sound insulation)

That said, I gotta get me one. I CAN drive . . . 55 (or be happily deaf) ?
Sponsored

Zeno

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Defender Trophy Edition, 20 Ranger, 911SC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just for comparison. I have a 2020 Ranger 4x4 with a 3" Ready Lift Leveling Kit And Grappler Tires 285/70/17 and I have no problem doing 90 mph in complete comfort. Given that the Bronco was built on the same platform and the ranger has the 2.3 eco boost, I think that you would be fine unless your set up is for hard core off road. My Raptor has no issues at all on the highway.

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Gotta agree. Several features fighting against high-speed highway comfort:
- Large frontal area, including those big old mirrors (wind noise)
- All-terrain tires (road noise)
- Removable roof and doors (not optimum for sound insulation)

That said, I gotta get me one. I CAN drive . . . 55 (or be happily deaf) ?
HA!!! Me too.

DonsBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
this is why I want a Wildtrak with 33's in my area if you're not doing 80 you will get run over

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I'd say that we have to wait until we know the actual ratios in the 10 speed and/or the 7 speed as well as the drag coefficients and eleventy other factors...But think it'll probably be fine.
We do have the overdrive ratios. Engine speed with auto and Sasquatch at 80mph should be about 2400 rpm.

as for drag coefficient and cabin noise, that we will have to wait and find out.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drive the i95 Long Island to N. Carolina 4or5 times a year. Do you think this vehicle will be reasonably comfortable At 75-80 mph.
It better be, that's how fast I'd drive it every day. And probably 60+ on a bumpy gravel road.

If a 3/4 ton truck with solid axles can do it, this ought to be able to.

stik0401

Big Bend
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Mustang and new Bronco ordered
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
IT should be like driving a Ranger fx4, from what ive read. As others have said, the hard top with sound deadening will help too. Tires will play the biggest role towards a quiet smooth ride and decent MPG. Big tires look cool, but kill gas mileage, acceleration and braking. Unless you off-road and need bigger or more aggressive terrain specific tires, you highway goal should be achievable with on-road tires. MY FX4 F150 rides great and is quiet, to me at least. One of my buddies has the same truck with off-road tires and it is for sure noisier on the freeway.

Last edited:

NY Bronco II

Badlands
First Name
Barney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco II, 2008 Ridgeline
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But if you start from Long Island at midnight you can do between 75-80 mph :LOL:
We are Upstate- My cousin always leaves at midnight-he's used to it considering he works the night shift, and way less traffic...oh, he cruises at 80mph in a wrangler sahara

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm sure it'll be fine, better in a 4dr than a 2dr, though it'll be smoother than a Jeep

norwal42

Wildtrak
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I think about this question as well, here are some of my thoughts by way of comparing power to weight ratios, in case helpful. ::)

One of my top annoyances occurs at the upper range of highway speeds - 75mph+ - having to downshift/rev annoyingly high to hold speed up a long hill, to accelerate slightly to make a pass, or to make moves to get into or out of traffic flows.

Ford Bronco Driving 80+ mph on highway with new Bronco? DSC06818

Stats on my V8 4Runner:
- curb weight 4505 lb
- GVWR 6005 lb
- 4.7L V8 - 260hp, 306lb-ft
- hp:GVWR ratio: 0.043
- lb-ft:GVWR ratio: 0.051
- 5 speed automatic
- In stock form, with 31" road tires and stock everything it held its own really nicely in the highway scenarios described above, even accelerating uphill without downshifting, or holding top gear up to 90mph+ loaded with 4 people + hunting/camping gear.
- Now with 2 steel bumpers, added roof rack, 32.5" tires, and 2.5" lift, (and often carrying roof boxes), it loses steam in those same scenarios, having to downshift immediately, and annoyingly having to downshift another gear if I keep pressing.
- It'll still run 90mph comfortably enough in a flat without headwind, but not "handily" like I would've described it in stock form.

Projected stats on new Bronc, let's use the 4-door with 2.7L V6 (pulling average of projected curb range from quick search/guessing on comparable overage on GVWR)
- curb weight 5000 lb
- GVWR 6500 lb
- 2.7L V6 - 310hp, 400lb-ft
- hp:GVWR ratio - 0.048 (+12%)
- lb-ft:GVWR ratio - 0.062 (+20%)
- 10 speed automatic
- With better ratios, significantly better on torque, and 10 speed vs 5 speed, I can't imagine this wouldn't substantially outperform my 4Runner in the highway scenario.
- Especially in stock form, I'd say pretty safe bet the Bronc drivetrain will push 80mph "handily". (Ride, handling, etc TBD, separate issue)
- I'd say even after mods, loaded up, it'll substantially win it in this comparison. I still thoroughly enjoy my 4Runner, running 80mph+ in camp/trail configuration is a luxury, so I won't complain too much about a downshift here and there... but I'd also welcome that 310hp and 400 lb-ft in every scenario!

Bronco w/2.3L Ecoboost note
- in 4 cylinder config, the Bronc looks projected to run closer to same GVWR as my 4Runner, and with similar output (270hp/310 lb-ft, +10/+4) I'd still expect a significantly better than stock v8 4Runner highway power experience considering the 10 speed.
- Considering my 4Runner with comparable power to weight ran 80+ handily in stock form, I'd expect just as good or better even from a stock form 2.3L Bronco.

Last edited:

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I used to sometimes drive 80mph in my old CJ7 back in the day. It was only a few years old, had stock suspension no lift, and BFG AT 31" tires with good road manners. Often when people complain about bad road manners, it involves lifts, outward offset wheels and big tires ... and in particular singing squirrely mud tires. In a modern Bronco with good mannered road tires, I think 80mph is doable. Not car like but reasonable. Although personally if driving 80mph a lot I'd get a car for that usage.

RubyRuin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I drove a JL Rubicon from Atlanta to Nashville and back in the same day. I was ready to jump off a cliff by the time I got home. Noise wasnt bad but the ride and drift were horrible.
This is pretty much the reason why I have the Bronco higher on my list than the Wrangler -- pretty much your complaints here is related to the shortcomings of a solid front axle.

qnet

Big Bend
First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2, Jeep Wrangler JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I drove my JK 2DR. Wrangler at 80 on the HWY. It wasn't like driving my bimmer but not that bad. I've even drove with the top opened up (sun rider portion).

The 2DR Bronco with the hardtop I suspect will be even better.
Sponsored