Sponsored

Drop Trailer Tow Package and install aftersale?

evgenyvasenev

Badlands
First Name
Evgeny
Threads
Reaction score
Website
vasenev.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure you will be able to. Most cars and all trucks and suv's have aftermarket kits. Some are more involved an cost a little more for install but are avalable. People have already done this with the bronco.
Thanks. What is the reason to wait for this package? Is it just cheaper or there is another reason?
Sponsored

Squatchit

Badlands
First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ram 3500, 2020 R1250GS, 2006 Volvo V50 T5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. What is the reason to wait for this package? Is it just cheaper or there is another reason?
Personally I'm waiting because I don't mind. I'm saving and I want the convenience. I have read the wiring for the aftermarket is s bitch and it can cost a little more if not doing yourself.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you don't get the tow package, does the Bronco still have trailer sway control?
Yes. Sway control is part of the base safety package.

The only thing the tow package gets that you cannot get from Ford's accessory site is the 7-pin wiring harness.

NC_Pinz

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX w/ Squatch, 1975 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The only thing the tow package gets that you cannot get from Ford's accessory site is the 7-pin wiring harness.
Thanks for the clarification. I struggle with dropping the tow package. I rarely pull a 7 pin trailer. Like every 2-4 years, probably longer with the transition to a lower tow rating. I should probably bite the bullet and drop towing. My primary trailer is a M416 on a pintle hitch. Installing the 4 pin I'm good with. I did that on my FJCruiser.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

If you don't get the tow package, does the Bronco still have trailer sway control?
NO

Wrong. The software is there but it will never be activated without the factory tow package. The factory wiring recognizes a trailer is connected and activates trailer sway control, plus a whole lot more with BLIS, rear sensors etc.

If you plan on using a hitch for anything more than a bike rack or very small utility trailer, it makes no sense to not get the factory tow package constrained or not, if its an option for your trim.

Sponsored

Herbie

Badlands
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

NO

Wrong. The software is there but it will never be activated without the factory tow package. The factory wiring recognizes a trailer is connected and activates trailer sway control, plus a whole lot more with BLIS, rear sensors etc.

If you plan on using a hitch for anything more than a bike rack or very small utility trailer, it makes no sense to not get the factory tow package constrained or not, if its an option for your trim.
Unless one doesn't feel like waiting another 6 months for a vehicle.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not entirely true.

It is true that sway control is only turned on if you connect to the vehicle. But you do not need the factory tow package. You can simply buy the 4-pin wiring kit after delivery.

I also believe you can manually turn on trailer sway control via the infotainment system. I know you could with Sync 3, though admittedly never tried with Sync 4.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Not entirely true.

It is true that sway control is only turned on if you connect to the vehicle. But you do not need the factory tow package. You can simply buy the 4-pin wiring kit after delivery.

I also believe you can manually turn on trailer sway control via the infotainment system. I know you could with Sync 3, though admittedly never tried with Sync 4.
As I said, that is wrong. You will never activate trailer tow without the self sense of a trailer connected, which will only work with the factory tow option. There are needed modules that are missing without the factory option. Tapping into brake lights for a 4 pin will never get this to work.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As I said, that is wrong. You will never activate trailer tow without the self sense of a trailer connected, which will only work with the factory tow option. There are needed modules that are missing without the factory option. Tapping into brake lights for a 4 pin will never get this to work.
True, but the 4-pin trailer wiring accessory does not splice into the brake lights.

Unless the module that is included with the Bronco actually does not include sway control standard with the vehicle. In which case all of Ford's documentation is completely incorrect.

Ford Bronco Drop Trailer Tow Package and install aftersale? 1642368069574

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

True, but the 4-pin trailer wiring accessory does not splice into the brake lights.

Unless the module that is included with the Bronco actually does not include sway control standard with the vehicle. In which case all of Ford's documentation is completely incorrect.

Ford Bronco Drop Trailer Tow Package and install aftersale? 1642368069574
The documentation is correct in the fact the software is there for every Bronco. It fails to mention you cannot activate it without the factory tow option. And yes, every 4 pin added aftermarket absolutely must splice a signal from the brake and turn signals to work.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The documentation is correct in the fact the software is there for every Bronco. It fails to mention you cannot activate it without the factory tow option. And yes, every 4 pin added aftermarket absolutely must splice a signal from the brake and turn signals to work.
I'm skeptical, but admittedly I have not fully vetted this whole thing myself simply because I am trusting Ford's documentation and basing most of what I know on how it operates with the Ranger and the F-150.

If it is true, that is extremely deceitful by Ford to say that trailer sway control is a standard safety but have no way to activate it without the factory trailer tow package.

One of my dealer's mannequin units is a Big Bend without the trailer tow package, if I get time this upcoming week I'll stop by and investigate further.

clarkT

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Even the factory tow package requires you to then buy a wireless controller to plug in. This is not a vehicle with any special tow capabilities. So the idea of “sway control” is probably along the lines of traction control sensing drifting or something. It CANT use BLiS because you can have tow package without BLiS.

I’d imagine once you plug in any compatible controller up front, you have whatever limited benefit and sensing from “sway control” on a vehicle only rated for 3500 lbs.

In another thread on here a guy made 7 pin work aftermarket. It was a pain but doable. And used the same controller Ford sells you.

you’ll be fine and safe doing this aftermarket.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not entirely true.

Does anyone have a Bronco and can check to see if you can turn on the Trailer Mode from Sync 4?

Cliff B

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979Bronco Ranger XLT, 2017 4Runnner Limited 4x4,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So it could have been the MIC also holding you up.
Yes, I'm sure that was part of the equation, which is why I mentioned it in my post. It's a crap shoot either way but removing both definitely got our build date moved up, still glad we switched to soft top.

DreamFolise

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1983 Jeep Scrambler, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealer called and recommended I drop the trailer tow to see if my order is picked up quicker (relative term, I know). I know I have heard the same on here before.

my novice questions include how much for ford to install after ? Or should I be looking aftermarket? Is wiring a big deal after ?
I did exactly that and got a build date 5 days later. I’ll install aftermarket, don’t need 7 pin.
Sponsored