airforceteacher

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW sedan, Eruption Green OBX on order
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Just watch a couple videos on how to do it. And you'd rather have a spare and not need it than...

Worse case if you run into trouble installing the spare parts is there's a good chance you'd run across someone who could help. But without the parts it gets difficult.
Thanks. Many of the threads on tie rods mention trail repairs, so I assumed it was a little bit of wrench work, but you know what happens when you assume. Having them is better than not, unless you are incapable of using them.
Sponsored

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. Many of the threads on tie rods mention trail repairs, so I assumed it was a little bit of wrench work, but you know what happens when you assume. Having them is better than not, unless you are incapable of using them.
Not sure if you read my whole post, even if you are incapable of using them it's still better to have them with you because it's easier to find someone who can put them on than trying to find the parts and THEN trying to find someone to put them on.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

i mean do you really think a tie rod broke cuz a guy was turning around in his driveway?

Is the constant stress that causes them to eventually give out. So even though yours didn't break now, you no doubt burned a bit more of that fuse.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have beat the living hell out of my front end in my 2021 BadSquatch w/ Hoss 2.0. Zero issues yet. A lot of unfounded fear.
Check out at 14:55

That didn't break a tie rod but turning around in a driveway did...

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have beat the living hell out of my front end in my 2021 BadSquatch w/ Hoss 2.0. Zero issues yet. A lot of unfounded fear.
Check out at 14:55
Meh, you weren't beating on it that ba......(gets to 15:25) 😲. That's some good stuff right there.

Gotta love spotters who are used to SFA rigs telling you to power through it. Front tire spin (especially combined with bouncing) is often the death of IFS.

Sponsored

Sewie

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bronco, 22 Bronco BL Sas 4D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That didn't break a tie rod but turning around in a driveway did...
I don't buy that story - at least they way they portrayed it. Based on the pics showing spin marks on the grass, I think he/she was in 4WD or the TCS kicked in then the driver side tire caught the pavement. The instant shock of traction is what causes the snap. Same with the video from Hollister in the log/frame twister obstacle.

MastroBronco

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Meh, you weren't beating on it that ba......(gets to 15:25) 😲. That's some good stuff right there.

Gotta love spotters who are used to SFA rigs telling you to power through it. Front tire spin (especially combined with bouncing) is often the death of IFS.
One of many times… the IFS is holding up and kicking ass.

MastroBronco

Badlands
First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i mean do you really think a tie rod broke cuz a guy was turning around in his driveway?

Is the constant stress that causes them to eventually give out. So even though yours didn't break now, you no doubt burned a bit more of that fuse.
Nah… they’re fine.

AMTRV

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Badlands 4dr, 22 6.7L Tremor, 1940 Ford Cpe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep…absolutely no need for all of this freak out over tie rod ends.
Anything can be abused to the point of failure.
This freak out has created a whole new industry/market with plenty of paranoid consumers.
There will be many “upgraded” tie rod ends sold that will never see off-road situations.
In the end, it’s your rig and your money. Hammer-on!
Just know that all metal will fatigue and then break at the most inopportune time.

Last edited:

DREWR13

Badlands
First Name
DREW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Miata....
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

IMO its only an issue when lifted and on some bigger tires. I wheeled mine pretty hard stock sasquatch and was fine. Snapped a tie rod on my second trip once I was on the icons and 37's.

The climb I was doing was wet and muddy so I had to bump it up over the last ledge. Tie rod said NOPE not today lol. Prob should have turned the locker off or just winched. Had my spare on in about an hour though and kept wheelin.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.