First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
In the past few months I have been experiencing a situation where the key-fob remote start fails to work. Lights up green but the truck makes an audible whine and then nothing happens. Annoying but I figured it was an issue with the Key Fob and didn't care to investigate further.

Today I try starting with the key fob. Fails. Twice. I go outside to start the truck manually and it fails to start three times in a row. Then I take out my phone and record the video below. Fails to start one more time, then finally starts up on what is the 5th time.

any ideas? Can't really afford to have my truck not start

Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It sounds as if your starter isn’t extending to engage with the flywheel… but it’s simply a shot in the dark. I’d double check the grounds, battery terminals, and fuse box nuts to be sure about those

Reactions: Jdc

MistaGavin

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 F-150 & '68 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Sounds like the starter is spinning but the solenoid/Bendix isn’t engaging. Loose connections or bad starter imo.

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
In the past few months I have been experiencing a situation where the key-fob remote start fails to work. Lights up green but the truck makes an audible whine and then nothing happens. Annoying but I figured it was an issue with the Key Fob and didn't care to investigate further.

Today I try starting with the key fob. Fails. Twice. I go outside to start the truck manually and it fails to start three times in a row. Then I take out my phone and record the video below. Fails to start one more time, then finally starts up on what is the 5th time.

any ideas? Can't really afford to have my truck not start

Hello, John! Send us a private message with your VIN and the name and location of your local Ford dealer. I’d be happy to see what I can do to assist with this concern. Thanks!

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'll agree with the others. It sounded like the starter was spinning but wasn't engaging the flywheel. The gear on the starter is supposed to move out and engage the flywheel while cranking so something inhibiting that unless somehow you are missing teeth on the flywheel (I doubt).

Sponsored
OP
OP

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Thanks all - it has not occurred again today. And I have turned the truck on and off probably 20 times (lots of errands)

My concern is that I bring it to ford, they tell me they can't replicate it, keep my truck for a week and do nothing/

saban

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
get under it and check wires to starter for damaged wire insulation or loose connection to the starter terminals

OP
OP

John94

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Black Diamond Sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
update: dealership replaced the starter.

Too bad no one will fix my vibrations..

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Keep all videos of not starting. If ford can't replicate, you have videos of the starter failing to engage.
Sponsored