Sponsored

Fire extinguisher recommendations? Rear mounted options?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not trolling here but I’ve never understood the need to add a fire extinguisher. I’ve been driving for over 25 years. Never had the need for one. Is it a bling thing? I mean really what are the chances that you will need one? If my bronco catches fire I’m gonna get out, let it burn and get a new one courtesy of my comprehensive insurance. I used to have one in my cobra but that was just for show purposes.
Legitimate question. What if someone is pinned with a seatbelt and you need time to cut it off before it gets to them? So a good knife or seatbelt cutter, glass breaker, etc, you hope you don't need them.

My thing is most people have no idea how to put a fire out or suppress a fire even if they did have them (those little stick ones, if you haven't practiced you will probably fail when you need it especially). Also, as Snacktime points out, having the wrong type isn't helpful either. Also, they don't last forever and need to be replaced every few years.

Anyhow, some adventure parks require it. In light Snacktime's trail partner hitting their head, mine just rolls around in the floor behind my seat. Not the best either way.
Sponsored

Last edited:

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
People on this forum have a tendency to overpay grossly for LEDs and fire extinguishers. Both are a commodity, as long as you avoid no name Chinese stuff on Amazon you will be fine. The more important question is the carrier. After buying and returning a number of cheap poorly designed crap I got one from Warn.

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I’m not trolling here but I’ve never understood the need to add a fire extinguisher. I’ve been driving for over 25 years. Never had the need for one. Is it a bling thing? I mean really what are the chances that you will need one? If my bronco catches fire I’m gonna get out, let it burn and get a new one courtesy of my comprehensive insurance. I used to have one in my cobra but that was just for show purposes.
Some groups require it. I agree, it serves no useful purpose. Not big enough to put out a real engine fire. The chances of needing one are probably less than 1:10,000

stewart.chrisr

Wildtrak
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wildtrak 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
13 years as a fireman here. Maybe it's just odd luck for me, but I've put out at least 3-4 vehicle fires (never my own vehicle) using a 2.5lb extinguisher. None of them were when I was on duty and responding in a fire truck. A small extinguisher will absolutely work at the inception of a fire. It isn't going to work if you have a catastrophic incident where the fuel tank was ruptured and lights, or if you parked in tall grass and walked away, but they can and will work.

You also have to think not just of yourself, but of the environment you are in. Sure, your Bronco might have insurance. The same can't be said for the thousands of acres that might burn if your initially small fire turns into a forest fire because of an incident on the trails. My off-road club requires it, and I firmly believe it is a reasonable requirement.

I just got my Bronco, so I'll be perusing the options and deciding how to mount mine.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Only have one because some major offroad events require it, might move to one of those pointless Magic Disney wands if they accept them at events.

Ford Bronco Fire extinguisher recommendations? Rear mounted options? 1705111550048

Sponsored
OP
OP
Area51BS

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Low chance. But what if you could get out, but a loved one couldn’t and it started to burn?

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Low chance. But what if you could get out, but a loved one couldn’t and it started to burn?
So I guess every vehicle should have a fire extinguisher on board? Just sayin’. To me unless it’s required because of some group ride rule, there’s no reason to have one on board.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So I guess every vehicle should have a fire extinguisher on board? Just sayin’. To me unless it’s required because of some group ride rule, there’s no reason to have one on board.
Well I live out west where a catalytic converter can start grass fires.... Or drag chains sparking can start a fire..... Those fires get out of hand really quick. For me, while I acknowledge there is a slim chance of vehicle fires - there is a chance and that is not the winning lottery ticket I want.... I have seen problems on the road that other people are experiencing and if I can protect the hundreds of thousands of acres of grass lands and forest by just getting to a small fire quickly and easily.... I am going to be happy I was prepared.... Better yet if I do not ever need it.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Not all public gathering places have defibrillators available either. But I bet you'd want one ready to go if you happen to drop from a heart attack while you're out and about. I know I would...

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had a couple of rechargeable Kidde extinguishers mounted on the rear tray in my Wrangler and used them a couple of times to put out a car fire before it raged out of control.

I plan to reinstall them on the rear bars in the Bronco. Would rather have them and not need them versus the opposite.

Ford Bronco Fire extinguisher recommendations? Rear mounted options? 20210213_184431
Ford Bronco Fire extinguisher recommendations? Rear mounted options? 20210213_184445

Sponsored
OP
OP
Area51BS

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Never said every vehicle. Not suggesting mandatory either. Just a good idea to have one. Kind of like the idea of each town having a fire department. Might have helped a person or two.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Never said every vehicle. Not suggesting mandatory either. Just a good idea to have one. Kind of like the idea of each town having a fire department. Might have helped a person or two.
I think the chances of having a fire in a town is quite a bit higher than a fire in your car. Fire extinguishers in a Bronco are needless based on the odds. Chances of a fire are negligible. It’s just showmanship.

OP
OP
Area51BS

Area51BS

Badlands
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands non SAS 4dr 2.3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think the chances of having a fire in a town is quite a bit higher than a fire in your car. Fire extinguishers in a Bronco are needless based on the odds. Chances of a fire are negligible. It’s just showmanship.
Mine isn’t visible.
Sponsored