First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What’s the point of swapping a solid axle.
Unlimited amount of lift and strength. Sky's the limit now. Whoever you are thank you for making things fun. And to the pansy naysayers here. I'm sure this is not his only vehicle so daily drive ability road sensors bla bla is kinda a moot point. I hope you put in a V8 motor while you are at it. The only waste of a good bronco is the ones sitting on dirt mountain.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Unlimited amount of lift and strength. Sky's the limit now. Whoever you are thank you for making things fun. And to the pansy naysayers here. I'm sure this is not his only vehicle so daily drive ability road sensors bla bla is kinda a moot point. I hope you put in a V8 motor while you are at it. The only waste of a good bronco is the ones sitting on dirt mountain.
It was rhetorical. He could of just bought a wrangler.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This looks fun as hell. I think 40s is too small, once you go wild like that 44s or 46s are probably where you want to go. As for people who think its ruined or unusable. I'm sorry not everyone wants everything they own to haul groceries or do competitions. Some people just want to drive something silly because they can. And as long as they get it dirty I'm all for it. That thing would do great wherever someone took it as long as they were willing to have fun.

I personally am waiting for an Icelandic build. That will be legit fun.
grDGhdgHaFj?w=210&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&dpr=1.65&pid=1.jpg
3720316451_c01b5abafe_b.jpg
Ford Bronco First 2021 Bronco solid front axle (SFA) swap + 40's! 1630211279494

cyclopsdiver

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Man a lot of replies here are worse than the Nissan group worried about scratching their sliders.
Here is an Xterra with a solid front axle on 42's, but I'm sure some will think the engineers who designed the IFS could match this capability? Also it drove smoothly and comfortably on the highway with full hydro steering and unbalanced tires.

I personally can't wait to see the project. Plus we get to enjoy it without paying for it, so might as well be supportive!
Ford Bronco First 2021 Bronco solid front axle (SFA) swap + 40's! 15975118_10212468799461981_8992000879788136040_o

GoneMoab-2014-Nissan-4x4-1943.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think our definitions of "drives like a dream" mesh when it comes to paved roads.
You don’t think so? I’ll tell you what I think. I think you have no idea what you’re talking about.

My TJ has the Teraflex Pro LCG long arm kit, PSC hydro, swapped out front and rear axles (Dana 44 and Ford 8.8 respectively) with Yeti steering components and all Bilstein shocks. It tracks like it’s on rails and you can easily do 75mph with a single finger on the steering wheel. It drives better than any truck I’ve ever owned and rivals some of the sedans in terms of rock solid stability. My daughter learned how to drive in that beast.

In the name of sanity, PLEASE don’t opine on matters you clearly have no clue about.

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

SAS universally means solid axle swap, especially in a thread about solid axle swap. I’m just surprised you’d never heard or seen that if around rock crawlers a lot. So as you say, just sayin'.

I did not criticize your opinion not to SAS your Bronco at all. What gives you that impression? I don’t plan to do that to mine either.

As I said in another post in this thread, most of the 4wd people I know are mechanically inclined and would be interested regardless of whether they planned to do it themselves. Sometimes we do things because we can. Sometimes we like a challenge. Sometimes we get tired of the monotony of simple and boring. If you don’t get it, I can’t explain it.

Also, there is nothing practical about any of this. Your buggy is not practical. Rock crawling is not practical. Spending money on food and shelter is practical. Hobbies aren't. They are for fun.
We just hang in different worlds. What I said was from my perspective, and I said what my perspective was. My comment relates to those who have a similar frame of reference. Obviously, I'm very clearly not in the minority here. Those who wheel mud, and like the comment from the guy about Texas wheeling, ok, I get it, big tires for that kind of wheeling are a big deal. Go for it, and have fun. However, old trucks that you can put a good motor in and beef up the axles are plentiful, and a helluva lot cheaper than tearing up a new Bronco and trashing most of the things that make it great.

Since in our rack crawling world virtually nobody does straight axle swaps, no it is not a common term. That is way more hillbilly (tongue in cheek comment here) than we do around here. Anything that needs a straight axle swap is already going to make a crappy rock crawler (except the Tacoma guys, if that's what they want to do). So, guilty, I missed what SAS means on a Bronco forum.

Hey, someone was going to do this. Cool to be the first. But while some of you go on and on about how cool it is and we shouldn't criticize, keep in mind this is a SEMA build, and not a guy who's a good fabricator building it in his garage. And, it is very common knowledge how to set up a straight axle link suspension for good geometry and strength, so no big brownie points for that. And, since we haven't actually seen it yet, we don't know if the suspension and steering are set up right or if they're crap. All we know is someone stuck a straight axle and 40's under a Bronco.

What do you mean my rock buggy isn't practical? It's a very practical rock buggy. ;)😁🍻

BTW, don't want to get too far off track here, however, there are different types of wheeling. Yes, big mud and ruts. And, rock crawling, but rock crawling is becoming WAY more technical than boulder fields on a trail. Just for perspective, and some shits and giggles, here is my "not practical" rock buggy. Forgive me if this is too out of place.

Ford Bronco First 2021 Bronco solid front axle (SFA) swap + 40's! 173504134_3806431549393098_5982367258389512446_n
Ford Bronco First 2021 Bronco solid front axle (SFA) swap + 40's! 171564527_10216427394311962_4607003972828515612_n

Ford Bronco First 2021 Bronco solid front axle (SFA) swap + 40's! 172203262_10216427395191984_3920514423014699653_n
Ford Bronco First 2021 Bronco solid front axle (SFA) swap + 40's! 168832352_3780069558695964_161596543235370751_n

bdub2you

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, most certainly not. Your reply, however, is a classic example of an ad hominem attack. Please, do better.
Did you just google ad hominem? My comment was clearly about your comment, not about you. If you want an example of an ad hominem attack, just look at your own comment when you called the guy uninformed. By any objective measure a Wrangler TJ on 38 doesn't drive like a dream, so your personal attack toward the other guy was completely uncalled for, and frankly wrong.

You don’t think so? I’ll tell you what I think. I think you have no idea what you’re talking about.

My TJ has the Teraflex Pro LCG long arm kit, PSC hydro, swapped out front and rear axles (Dana 44 and Ford 8.8 respectively) with Yeti steering components and all Bilstein shocks. It tracks like it’s on rails and you can easily do 75mph with a single finger on the steering wheel. It drives better than any truck I’ve ever owned and rivals some of the sedans in terms of rock solid stability. My daughter learned how to drive in that beast.

In the name of sanity, PLEASE don’t opine on matters you clearly have no clue about.
Another example of ad hominem attacks and cognitive bias.

JeepersCreepers

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Did you just google ad hominem? My comment was clearly about your comment, not about you. If you want an example of an ad hominem attack, just look at your own comment when you called the guy uninformed. By any objective measure a Wrangler TJ on 38 doesn't drive like a dream, so your personal attack toward the other guy was completely uncalled for, and frankly wrong.
No, I learned about logical fallacies in Ethics. A course I took in college… and a course I subsequently taught.

It’s not likely worth the trouble to correct you, but here goes: accusing one of cognitive bias in the example given is akin to an attack on the presenter’s intellectuality because there are no saddressing the argument itself. Without providing any reason to justify the comment, it becomes an ad hominem attack. Look up a few examples on the web; they’re in line with what I just explained to you.

As to your last comment, how could you know? In the context of 4x4 vehicles with many custom modifications to make them both drivable and capable of performing in off-road scenarios, the possible combinations are practically infinite. You’re demonstrating expectation bias….you believe that since most Jeeps on large diameter tires don’t exhibit desirable handling and ride qualities on the pavement, that none of them do. An ass-umption sure to cost you if drove my Jeep.

NEXT!

Sponsored

Frank N

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I'd be more impressed with a blown V8....and 37's.

pfd799

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Sportage :(, Mazda CX-9
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I really don’t understand all the bloviating about how he could’ve bought a wrangler, wasted a Bronco etc. Yea he could’ve bought a Wrangler, just like most people here, myself included, could buy a CUV instead of a Bronco to meet our daily needs. Same with the vast majority of pickup truck and Wrangler owners. But life’s short so we buy what makes us happy, who gives a shit what anyone else thinks. And by the looks of it he’ll be pushing the limits of his bronco more than 95% of us so I say have at it.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

All this time I thought SEMA was for the latest and greatest technology for vehicles. Aren’t solid axles kinda old news? Isn’t it pretty simple to do a 4link suspension, especially if it is really only meant for off road stuff? I mean I’ve built them myself, so it can’t be too hard to do. Feel the same way about portals, hasn’t that been around for a while as well? Just bolting things on to a newer vehicle, or welding on a couple of brackets isn’t all that tough. It’s probably just my misconception as to what SEMA is for, it’s probably actually just another advertising venue for automotive companies.

Also, not kicking anything anyone is doing, only saying I don’t see anything truly special about the build.

HPNQ420

Black Diamond
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco, '19 GTI, '88 R100GS, HPN BMW G/S
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Tracking in a straight line is hardly all it takes to have good paved road performance.
Sponsored