Sponsored

First (Actual) 2021 Bronco U725 Prototype SPIED!!

Jake_zx2

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
3.25 tires apart, center of hub to center of hub.

Wheelbase is 104 inches.

About the same as a Grand Cherokee, shorter than a Wrangler Unlimited by a foot.
Ouch, way shorter than I was hoping for. Thanks for the bad news lol
Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
Some guys on the jeep forum pointed out that Ford took a little hint from the wrangler and put the backup camera in the spare tire mount.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Some guys on the jeep forum pointed out that Ford took a little hint from the wrangler and put the backup camera in the spare tire mount.
I saw that as well.

It's a good place for it

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Definitely a staged photoshoot. IIRC the baby had a shoot in the same spot accompanied by articles talking about its special polkadots.

As, expected, loads of cladding:
  • Practically a mattress worth of foam or whatever on the roof.
  • Front grill is buried several inches behind a sheet of cardboard or w/e.
  • Even the hood and fenders appear to have an inch of foam on them hiding the lines. As well as a strip hanging down from the mirror covering the door hinges.

Rear door:
  • Spare tire seems to be attached directly to the door with no room for additional mechanism, so it is the load bearing tire carrier.
  • The spare tire mount has the third light on it, so the roof is probably fully removable. I'd bet there's a wiper hidden back there too, and probably a retractable window if they're going out of their way to minimize technical components and weight into the roof.
Glass:
  • Nicely upright windshield with a slight curve to it, worth plenty of NVH points.
  • I'm happy to see the belt line relatively low, making for a large upright greenhouse with a good view. Hopefully this carries over well into the rear windows too.
Build:
  • The wheel wells don't match front to back. I think the front one has a lot of extra camo -- prob tied into the fake bumper hiding the approach.
  • Looks like an XLT trim which is what the all season/terrain tires would suggest too
  • IF those are 18" rims it would make those 30-31" tires (makes sense for standard trims), and it puts the wheelbase at 112" which lines up with previous predictions
  • Lots of room around those brakes for a smaller rim and taller side wall
  • I'm pleased to see the ride height where it is, don't care much for the blah trim side step
  • Glimpses of the interior suggest a very upright dash/panel

I was worried at first, it looks a lot like the baby from a distance / on a phone. With a proper screen it looks pretty good proportion wise. Still waiting to see more.

Jimmy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fronty/ FiST/ Z
Your Bronco Model
Base
Appears as though overall length is about 5.66 32" tires or 182 inches long...

The rear door looks to be more a traditional square than the sharply angled version of the Wrangler, in my opinion as well.

Sponsored

Nickp

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 WRANGLER THAT GEICO SPENT $14K FIXING
Your Bronco Model
Base
I don't think this is correct, 104'' is barely bigger than an LJ wrangler. This is the 112'' we had assumed, I think they are 18'' rims which is what I based this off of.

NoBigDeal

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Someone did so good Road&Track are using the same images with their watermark on them.

As for the pics, color me excited.

U725

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Roadster, R53 MC40 Mini Cooper S
Someone did so good Road&Track are using the same images with their watermark on them.

As for the pics, color me excited.
Most of the articles I've read have that particular site's watermark on em.

Msnglinc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 5.0 Explorer, 2003 F150 King Ranch, 99 F250 Superduty 7.3
Nobody is cross shopping a Bronco and a Telluride.
Actually you're wrong. The wife and I have been looking at several vehicles as a prelude to the Bronco release and the Telluride is at the top of that list if the Bronco is not what we are hoping for. We even went to a Kia dealer and told the salesman that we weren't there to buy and the Bronco release was what we were waiting for. I was very impressed with the Telluride. Obviously it is two very different vehicles and wouldnt be purchased necessarily for the same reasons but we are doing exactly what you say isnt happening. And yes I've ridden trails including Moab twice and a trip into the Colorado Rockies backcountry. I bleed Ford blue with seven Fords in the driveway now. It's a tuff pill to swallow but Ford has nothing we like in that segment. We drove a JL for two weeks on vacation and while I liked it the wife wasnt crazy about it. We did that just to prove we wanted to wait on the Bronco. She's willing to wait on the Bronco but its gotta be true to its roots and appealing to us or it's a no go.

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only things I'm cross-shopping is the 4Runner and some pickups. MAYBE the Defender.

Sponsored

ztobro

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2.0T
Definitely a staged photoshoot. IIRC the baby had a shoot in the same spot accompanied by articles talking about its special polkadots.

As, expected, loads of cladding:
  • Practically a mattress worth of foam or whatever on the roof.
  • Front grill is buried several inches behind a sheet of cardboard or w/e.
  • Even the hood and fenders appear to have an inch of foam on them hiding the lines. As well as a strip hanging down from the mirror covering the door hinges.

Rear door:
  • Spare tire seems to be attached directly to the door with no room for additional mechanism, so it is the load bearing tire carrier.
  • The spare tire mount has the third light on it, so the roof is probably fully removable. I'd bet there's a wiper hidden back there too, and probably a retractable window if they're going out of their way to minimize technical components and weight into the roof.
Glass:
  • Nicely upright windshield with a slight curve to it, worth plenty of NVH points.
  • I'm happy to see the belt line relatively low, making for a large upright greenhouse with a good view. Hopefully this carries over well into the rear windows too.
Build:
  • The wheel wells don't match front to back. I think the front one has a lot of extra camo -- prob tied into the fake bumper hiding the approach.
  • Looks like an XLT trim which is what the all season/terrain tires would suggest too
  • IF those are 18" rims it would make those 30-31" tires (makes sense for standard trims), and it puts the wheelbase at 112" which lines up with previous predictions
  • Lots of room around those brakes for a smaller rim and taller side wall
  • I'm pleased to see the ride height where it is, don't care much for the blah trim side step
  • Glimpses of the interior suggest a very upright dash/panel

I was worried at first, it looks a lot like the baby from a distance / on a phone. With a proper screen it looks pretty good proportion wise. Still waiting to see more.
Solid analysis! As a Jeep guy at heart, I’m happy to see what Ford has put out so far. Real competition will hopefully get FCA’s head out of their ass and continue the Wrangler’s progression and improve their customer service or else loyal fans may bounce.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Only things I'm cross-shopping is the 4Runner and some pickups. MAYBE the Defender.
I'm either between cheap rwd tuners, this or a JL if theres no stick option

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Solid analysis! As a Jeep guy at heart, I’m happy to see what Ford has put out so far. Real competition will hopefully get FCA’s head out of their ass and continue the Wrangler’s progression and improve their customer service or else loyal fans may bounce.
You want manual? The Pentastar with high compression, thus until they work on a compression kit, you'll blow your engine if you go forced induction

2.0t is solid, no manual so you're paying twice for the auto and engine (3.5k I believe total)

3.0d is another 4k for the engine and 2 for the trans

Yeah, they definitely need to take their head out of their ass

U725

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Roadster, R53 MC40 Mini Cooper S
Actually you're wrong. The wife and I have been looking at several vehicles as a prelude to the Bronco release and the Telluride is at the top of that list if the Bronco is not what we are hoping for. We even went to a Kia dealer and told the salesman that we weren't there to buy and the Bronco release was what we were waiting for. I was very impressed with the Telluride. Obviously it is two very different vehicles and wouldnt be purchased necessarily for the same reasons but we are doing exactly what you say isnt happening. And yes I've ridden trails including Moab twice and a trip into the Colorado Rockies backcountry. I bleed Ford blue with seven Fords in the driveway now. It's a tuff pill to swallow but Ford has nothing we like in that segment. We drove a JL for two weeks on vacation and while I liked it the wife wasnt crazy about it. We did that just to prove we wanted to wait on the Bronco. She's willing to wait on the Bronco but its gotta be true to its roots and appealing to us or it's a no go.

In essence, what I was meaning was: People wanting a Bronco for its offroad potential are not looking at a Telluride for the same reason. The same can be said going the other way.

Last edited:

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Defender doesn't interest me with the mandatory mild hybrid setup
Sponsored