Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco FE, 2015 F350 2010 Focus 1995 F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I think our expectation of a removable hard top should be that it:

A). Keeps out rain (min requirement for a “top” / “roof”)
B). Is light weight and easily removable (see “removable”)
C). Can be easily reinstalled and maintain features A & B

Everything else is up for grabs. Hell, Ford even offered the MIC less headliner originally.

I think a lot of folks fell for the Bronco’s rugged good looks but expect luxury for the price. The price reflects the technology in the Bronco. If you want off road tech + luxury be prepared to shell out $80K to $100K….. on a Land Rover.

remember what the Gen 1 Bronco was…. Hell, what it still is. You can’t touch one for less than $80K and it has a steel dash and “seatbelts“ are a luxury.
I think a lot of people haven't bought a new vehicle in awhile and don't realize the going prices I keep seeing people put " a 50k vehicle" like that is a lot of money for a vehicle at this point. The estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,768 in April 2021.
Sponsored

TRMFAM

First Edition
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 & 73 Bronco, 21 MDX A-Spec, 20 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Wonder if the air speeds up if turning in either direction, or just in one!?!? Wonder if there’s some sort of power feedback from the steering or braking... or if it’s like the OP seems to be thinking that it could be the weight of the blend door. If the fan speed actually increases it would seem to be a feedback though. Gotta love electricity
This is my question also. Does it only do it when turning left or right? Coasting?

U725Bronco

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Also took delivery of a FE today and also think the top is a dumpster fire. But mine at least seems functional so far. I can wait until there’s a TSB or something.

Time will tell if what appears to be wildly inconsistent construction/QA actually become “functional” issues, but it’s my opinion that the quality is poor enough that it should qualify for some sort of campaign without having to have a major leak or something.

From the outside, at 2+ feet away, it looks great! And the rest of the vehicle is 👌
Can you post up some photos of what you don't like with your MIC top? Thanks and enjoy your new FE!

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think a lot of people haven't bought a new vehicle in awhile and don't realize the going prices I keep seeing people put " a 50k vehicle" like that is a lot of money for a vehicle at this point. The estimated average transaction price for a light vehicle in the United States was $40,768 in April 2021.
Also people should keep in mind that the MIC top you're getting is the same make as the one on the $30k bare-bones base. I'm not going to tell anyone how they should or shouldn't feel, but I will say people should be realistic in their expectations.

A fair comparison for the quality of the top or other modular features is a similarly priced Jeep. Don't compare it to the Lexus you're coming from.

Sponsored

Lazerus

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL. Land Rover Discovery Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm just saying an easily removable top is going to be "cheap and thin" by nature
I'v got to throw a flag on that one.
The back cap on the 2 door JL weighs about the same as the 2 door MIC cap (~80ish lbs). It's the 'base' hard top and feels neither 'cheep or thin'.
$50 bucks for a pair of kayak hoists will set up a manual system that easily pulls it off.
For the price we're paying for both of these vehicles nothing on them should feel cheap or thin. I'm not expecting a super lux interior - that's not what anyone in this market segment expects - but everything should feel rugged, substantial and solidly built

Ford Bronco First Edition delivery with MIC top disappointing 20210514_171030

Last edited:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Yeah I'm shocked at what people are paying for new cars. I bought a new car beginning of 2020 for 14k. But expensive vehicles seem a social norm these days. If I ever get a Bronco, it will likely be the 30k base (with a set of aftermarket wheels and 33" tires).

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
A fair comparison for the quality of the top or other modular features is a similarly priced Jeep
The hard top on my 19 JLU was miles ahead of my MIC in terms of build quality. But it wasn’t a whole new top & top construction

Sascrotch

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jetpack
Your Bronco Model
Base
The hard top on my 19 JLU was miles ahead of my MIC in terms of build quality. But it wasn’t a whole new top & top construction
That's too bad. Yeah I guess it makes sense that a brand new construction won't be as good as something tried and true. Do you find yours to be good enough at least? Or are you thinking of looking for an aftermarket solution?

Edit: Just saw your earlier post answering my questions lol

Tunagates

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

We got our first Edition last week and really like how it drives and handles but the top
is a real disappointment it looks very cheap and thin. Also, we have already had problems
with the air conditioning blend door when turning curves a lot more air comes through
the vents. All in all it is still a very good vehicle.

Ford Bronco First Edition delivery with MIC top disappointing 20210514_171030
Got my FE two weeks ago - Theres a very slight concave bend on the driver side edge of the hood… i noticed it immediately but didnt think much of it… also, theres a glob of paint in the inside of the door (passenger rear size, size of a dime).. anything i can do about them now? Got the FE two weeks ago.

Sponsored

Pitpup

Black Diamond
First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Mustang GT, 2008 Ford Ranger Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
if he ever takes his top off, he will come to appreciate the light, cheap plastic nature of his MiC top…..as long as it doesn’t fail like numerous others.

Everyone seems to be in agreement, just a bit of a misunderstanding.
Preach, Brother Kerry!

AP_2004

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, IS250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Also people should keep in mind that the MIC top you're getting is the same make as the one on the $30k bare-bones base. I'm not going to tell anyone how they should or shouldn't feel, but I will say people should be realistic in their expectations.

A fair comparison for the quality of the top or other modular features is a similarly priced Jeep. Don't compare it to the Lexus you're coming from.
At this point Jeep isn’t even a fair comparison b/c their cheapest hard top is $1,495 and it’s nothing like the two FE owners on this thread are describing imo. Ford was trying to come in at a much lower price point but maybe they missed the mark, hopefully they can get the issues fixed and deliver on the low cost MIC option.
Sponsored