First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4 Door Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
As this is supposed to be a direct competitor with Jeep I think it is a realistic expectation that the top should be at least as good as a Jeep. My JKU and JLU had hardtops and they were neither cheap or thin. I don't know why some folks here jump all over anyone that has some concerns or complaints about their Broncos as they arrive. This launch has been fraught with missed deadlines, (not all Covid related) poor communication from Ford and dealers ending up with sale units that allow someone to just walk into a dealer and buy one while the person waiting over a year still doesn't have a clue when they get theirs. I think a few complaints are justified without being jumped on by the Fan Boys. Ford doesn't need to be defended by them, they deserve their lumps. This was FAR from a good execution.
Facts!!!

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As this is supposed to be a direct competitor with Jeep I think it is a realistic expectation that the top should be at least as good as a Jeep. My JKU and JLU had hardtops and they were neither cheap or thin. I don't know why some folks here jump all over anyone that has some concerns or complaints about their Broncos as they arrive. This launch has been fraught with missed deadlines, (not all Covid related) poor communication from Ford and dealers ending up with
I know I will compare the hardtop to my 09 Jeep’s and I expect the same if not better quality. However, has anyone on B6G done that already?
I will compare mine to my YJ top. I hope this one is lighter.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As this is supposed to be a direct competitor with Jeep I think it is a realistic expectation that the top should be at least as good as a Jeep. My JKU and JLU had hardtops and they were neither cheap or thin. I don't know why some folks here jump all over anyone that has some concerns or complaints about their Broncos as they arrive. This launch has been fraught with missed deadlines, (not all Covid related) poor communication from Ford and dealers ending up with sale units that allow someone to just walk into a dealer and buy one while the person waiting over a year still doesn't have a clue when they get theirs. I think a few complaints are justified without being jumped on by the Fan Boys. Ford doesn't need to be defended by them, they deserve their lumps. This was FAR from a good execution.
As a previous (multiple) Jeep owner I'd say Jeep hard tops are the definition of cheap and thin. They serve their purpose, and do it well, which is what I expect of the Bronco. The current issues with Bronco tops are inexcusable. But as far as what the top is like, people need to manage their expectations. By "what the top is like" I mean with quality, reliable manufacturing. Which we don't have yet, unfortunately. I don't think I qualify as a Ford fanboy as I've never in my life owned a Ford. The Bronco will be my first.

I will compare mine to my YJ top. I hope this one is lighter.
It's definitely lighter than a YJ top. That thing was a handful! I'd leave it off at least 9 months out of the year just so I didn't have to deal with it.

AP_2004

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E46 M3, IS250
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not referring to the top being shoddily made. I edited my post to clarify before you replied. I'm just saying an easily removable top is going to be "cheap and thin" by nature. The defects are unacceptable.
The front two freedom panels on a Wrangler JL are easily removable and I wouldn’t call them thin, $1,495 on the B&P so cheap depends on who you ask. Can’t speak for previous Wrangler models. Just wonder why Ford didn’t choose to go with a similar design.

Sponsored

Wolfie272

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 Jeep Wrangler, 19 Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As a previous (multiple) Jeep owner I'd say Jeep hard tops are the definition of cheap and thin. They serve their purpose, and do it well, which is what I expect of the Bronco. The current issues with Bronco tops are inexcusable. But as far as what the top is like, people need to manage their expectations. By "what the top is like" I mean with quality, reliable manufacturing. Which we don't have yet, unfortunately. I don't think I qualify as a Ford fanboy as I've never in my life owned a Ford. The Bronco will be my first.

It's definitely lighter than a YJ top. That thing was a handful! I'd leave it off at least 9 months out of the year just so I didn't have to deal with it.
Lol yep. I also don’t qualify as a “Ford fanboy”, never owned one. I guess it is all about expectations. I do not expect a removable top to be paneled, multi layered, sound deadened (thanks Ford for the free upgrade, didn’t order it) I expect it to keep water out in the unfortunate event it has to be on. If I go on extended vacation, I would be thrilled if it is light enough to pop off at will on the good days.

BroncoKong Jr.

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The front two freedom panels on a Wrangler JL are easily removable and I wouldn’t call them thin, $1,495 on the B&P so cheap depends on who you ask. Can’t speak for previous Wrangler models. Just wonder why Ford didn’t choose to go with a similar design.
Presumably they wanted to make a better top. But at this point I'd have to say they failed.

dcmdon

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not the Bronco you want now or the Bronco you want later. Two options. You made the decision.

Can't blame Ford if you're disappointed because the roof you didn't even want turns out to be, get this, not the roof you want.
Wow. Starting to sound like a Jeep forum with the fanboys defending every defect.

WyoBronc

Wildtrak
First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2021 Bronco BB, 2006 Saturn Vue
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I don’t believe anyone is defending defects. I think most, if not all, said that defects are unacceptable.

Even the OP didn’t claim his top was defective …….only, thin and cheap. It appears he wanted the Painted Modular top but had to settle for the MIC top. Some may have assumed he was saying the top was defective when in actuality he was simply disappointed he couldn’t get the top he wanted.

if he ever takes his top off, he will come to appreciate the light, cheap plastic nature of his MiC top…..as long as it doesn’t fail like numerous others.

Everyone seems to be in agreement, just a bit of a misunderstanding.

Sponsored

Bronco cat

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Explorer ST, ‘19 GT350, ‘21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

One thing I think you are missing especially when comparing to a jeep top is the cost. The jeep hard top coat over twice as much. I would expect it to be better and to be honest it is only marginally better. I think for what the bronco gives you especially compared to the jeep it’s a home run. I agree with other posters it’s an off-road vehicle and that is what you are paying for. My bronco cost as much as my ST explorer and the explorer os substantially better in every category than the bronco except I can’t really take it off-road I can’t take the doors and the roof off……. Just saying

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Wonder if the air speeds up if turning in either direction, or just in one!?!? Wonder if there’s some sort of power feedback from the steering or braking... or if it’s like the OP seems to be thinking that it could be the weight of the blend door. If the fan speed actually increases it would seem to be a feedback though. Gotta love electricity

NotApplicable

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BEVs
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Also took delivery of a FE today and also think the top is a dumpster fire. But mine at least seems functional so far. I can wait until there’s a TSB or something.

Time will tell if what appears to be wildly inconsistent construction/QA actually become “functional” issues, but it’s my opinion that the quality is poor enough that it should qualify for some sort of campaign without having to have a major leak or something.

From the outside, at 2+ feet away, it looks great! And the rest of the vehicle is 👌

Last edited:

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you sure it's not just the auto climate control adjusting itself?
I second this. My Ford is notorious for (seemingly) putting the AC in auto and having this affect you’re describing. And I just click the auto button off.
Sponsored