Sponsored

Flat tow equipment needed to flat tow the 2021 Bronco?

lni

Badlands
First Name
Lni
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2Dr Badsquatch, Porsche GT4, BMW M3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Me too. I have about 6000 flat tow miles on mine, using the factory modular bumper recovery points.

I also believe it is some overzealous Ford attorney backtracking to reduce any potential future liability/litigation.
Sponsored

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

First time setting up a flat tow system. I have a brake buddy supplemental braking system that I need to power, and I'm looking at what my options are. Has anyone used forscan to change the center console 12v to always hot? I've also read that a power station like a jackery might be an option. If not I'll just run a direct to battery 12v, or possibly off a always on fuse. thanks

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

First time setting up a flat tow system. I have a brake buddy supplemental braking system that I need to power, and I'm looking at what my options are. Has anyone used forscan to change the center console 12v to always hot? I've also read that a power station like a jackery might be an option. If not I'll just run a direct to battery 12v, or possibly off a always on fuse. thanks
I ran a dedicated line from the battery. I didn't trust myself to be able to identify an always on circuit with all the delays, door open sensors and what not.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've been flat towing my Bronco for over a year now, all good. I currently use a set of strap on lights which I built and work fine, but I'd like a cleaner set up. I have a Curt hitch and trailer wiring, which after modification works fine too.

I'm considering adding the Curt towed wiring. Does anyone know if this can be daisy chained with the Curt trailer tow harness? Will there be room behind the taillight for all the connectors (it's been awhile I can't remember)? I assume I would plug it in farthest upstream, between the Curt trailer wiring and the factory harness, correct?

rsmag9

Base
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford's
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I've been flat towing my Bronco for over a year now, all good. I currently use a set of strap on lights which I built and work fine, but I'd like a cleaner set up. I have a Curt hitch and trailer wiring, which after modification works fine too.

I'm considering adding the Curt towed wiring. Does anyone know if this can be daisy chained with the Curt trailer tow harness? Will there be room behind the taillight for all the connectors (it's been awhile I can't remember)? I assume I would plug it in farthest upstream, between the Curt trailer wiring and the factory harness, correct?
Here’s a video of a guy who did both.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Here’s a video of a guy who did both.
Thanks, this video covers trailer wiring, the next covers towed. He hasn't finished yet and ends with "hopefully this works" but looks right.

Gargantua

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M1083A1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

i have both trailer wiring and Flat tow wiring with the curt connectors. It’s very tight with both of them. It pushes in the panel some so there is a little gap.

I wired the flat tow resister first, then the tow lights, then the brake light.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

i have both trailer wiring and Flat tow wiring with the curt connectors. It’s very tight with both of them. It pushes in the panel some so there is a little gap.

I wired the flat tow resister first, then the tow lights, then the brake light.
Thanks. I went ahead and ordered, I'll give it a try.

CO Sooner

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I normally wouldn't disagree with Grant, he being Bronco flat tow royalty and all (seriously, not being sarcastic) but I wouldn't think you'd need towed battery charge. I have a 2.3 with vacuum assist, but the end result should be the same. I use an RVI brake with a compressor that cycles every third brake use or so and have never had a battery issue with the Bronco or previous Jeep. If you're using a 6 or 7 wire plug I'd say go ahead and do it, but if 4 wire (like me) just for lights, don't bother.

Note: I said every third brake use, I mean every third time the RVI brake engages which is seldom in a normal stop. It only engages when I am vigorously braking.
Apologies for bumping a relatively old post but I also have an RVI brake and I am trying to figure out the best calibration before my RV season kicks into high gear, including a long trip up to Montana.

I feel pretty confident that I have the update as I get all of the ABS warnings that I never got before. Because of that and from reading all of these posts it sounds that I should be getting no help from the Bronco.

The RVI brake has 2 settings (Active/Vacuum), with “active” pressing less hard due to the assumption that electronic braking is providing an assist which it sounds like the Bronco is not. Therefore I believe I should be using “vacuum” to get more force from the RVI brake. This jives (I believe) with others blocking exhaust ports on other similar systems.

Do I seem to be on the right track? Thanks in advance - this thread has been super helpful in starting to understand this issue instead of blindly pulling fuses like I was last summer.

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Apologies for bumping a relatively old post but I also have an RVI brake and I am trying to figure out the best calibration before my RV season kicks into high gear, including a long trip up to Montana.

I feel pretty confident that I have the update as I get all of the ABS warnings that I never got before. Because of that and from reading all of these posts it sounds that I should be getting no help from the Bronco.

The RVI brake has 2 settings (Active/Vacuum), with “active” pressing less hard due to the assumption that electronic braking is providing an assist which it sounds like the Bronco is not. Therefore I believe I should be using “vacuum” to get more force from the RVI brake. This jives (I believe) with others blocking exhaust ports on other similar systems.

Do I seem to be on the right track? Thanks in advance - this thread has been super helpful in starting to understand this issue instead of blindly pulling fuses like I was last summer.
A V-6 guy should reply, but with the updates and no electric assist when in neutral tow, I believe you are correct.

BTW as far as settings, I use Small SUV, Medium Sensitivity. Does not engage on gentle stops but does right on quicker stops.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Which RVI braking system do you have?

CO Sooner

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which RVI braking system do you have?
Appreciate your input! I have the RVi Brake 3 which I got from Hitch Corner in Denver when they installed my tow bar, etc.

Btw if you ever need support on it RVi is super responsive. I lost my manual which has the QR code needed to pair the RVi brake with the tablet. I sent them an email with my serial number and they sent me a QR code via email within 10 minutes. I’m seriously considering adding their Tire pressure monitor for at least the RV (maybe Bronco too) now based on my experience.

grtharris

Outer Banks
First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 4dr, 2008 Mustang GT CS (Wife's), MH
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Appreciate your input! I have the RVi Brake 3 which I got from Hitch Corner in Denver when they installed my tow bar, etc.

Btw if you ever need support on it RVi is super responsive. I lost my manual which has the QR code needed to pair the RVi brake with the tablet. I sent them an email with my serial number and they sent me a QR code via email within 10 minutes. I’m seriously considering adding their Tire pressure monitor for at least the RV (maybe Bronco too) now based on my experience.
Just wanted to know which RVI you had before I made a comment. You are definitely on the right track, enjoy and safe travels!!

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I daisy chained Curt towed/tow lights, everything fits, barely, and works.

NOTE TO THOSE PLAANNING TO USE CURT TOWED AND CURT TOW WIRING: the towed harness now comes with an auxiliary plug to hook up tow lights. So, you can get towed kit 58996 and tow 58920 and not have to fit 4 plugs behind the taillights..
Sponsored