Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bronco forum, lots of enthusiasm and probably more than the fair share of people rationalizing daily driver use of a fairy specialized vehicle, so you will only get agreement and recommendations. I'll add to it, great! Go ahead, enjoy! Just adding something for you to consider though; I saw zero mention of off-roading in your post, just a vague 'adventure' someday maybe. Not a big deal, the OBX will be a fine on pavement cruiser. Enjoy! There are likely lots of better options with less trade offs out there though. The 'someday' adventure could involve renting a Bronco in the future without the commitment. Be the chicken instead of the pig on the bacon and eggs breakfast.
This is exactly why I posted! I can’t say what the future holds, but I will say the ability to take it on trails is appealing. I have more of a history of taking cars to a race track or gone for street cars, but as I’ve aged and had a family, that desire has lessened. The ability to take my kids out on trails has some appeal for the possibility of a new pass time that is more family friendly. (No rock crawling here though, lol). But I cant say for sure, as that is new territory for me! I do feel there are a few sacrifices that would be made, though it seems most vehicles I am looking at sacrifice somewhere and it’s usually the engine - and for a gear head, that sucks. Ill sacrifice cup holders and a little space for a better engine and more enjoyable/versatile vehicle, haha.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you only need two rows, a 4-door Bronco is a great family vehicle. As far as safety, I don’t know, and I doubt it’s as safe as other choices.

I cannot speak highly enough of the Kia Telluride as a family vehicle, though. My wife has one (2WD) and it will get up and go. Three rows. Extremely nice.
Telluride has been high on my list for awhile (the Wolf Gray/Nightfall edition), especially with how nice our Stinger is - but the engine kills me. I wish they would offer the TT V6 that we have in the Stinger. I do not think it is enough power for a vehicle that large for me to be satisfied.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well, same but different .... I'm getting a two door for my daily driver for the same basic reasons you posted..... tired of driving that boring Outback.

I like those Stingers, we JUST sold Subaru's older version of that, 2010 Legacy GT , 2.5 Turbo , 6spd manual (WRX drivetrain). Fun car to have!

Mini vans, never had one, but they seem to be a love/hate thing. Everybody loves how much utility they have, but they hate being seen in one.

On a daily driver point of view, the 4 door Bronco will be just fine, but I think if you plan a trip and bring the dog along, you'll run out of space quickly. My thoughts towards that have been getting a small utility trailer to haul our camping gear in and I can use it for work around the house, hauling mulch etc. Your roof top carrier would be a fine solution also if it has worked fine for you in the past.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What are your thoughts on the 4door Bronco as a primary family vehicle? (2 adults/2 children & dogs). How versatile do you think this platform can be long term for regular driving included in the mix, and not just sport utility. I am specifically considering the Outer Banks with the 2.7.

My husband and I are car-nuts, have spent most of our adult life working on/modifying cars. Normally I have a compact sport/“fun” car and a boring family cruiser. I sold my fun car and am looking to combine the purposes.

I am specifically looking for something fun/enjoyable and I need it to have some get up and go. Doesn’t have to be fast, but something where you can feel the torque and have an enjoyable drive. I don’t need fuel efficiency - I average about 7k miles a year. I like the idea of roof/doors removed and off-road capability as I think we could enjoy some family adventures at some point, even if we don’t utilize the Bronco consistently the same way a lot of people will. I’m also in no rush - as I have a perfectly acceptable, albeit boring, vehicle (a van) while I wait. I have realized the sacrifice in fun is not worth the 3rd row/extra space I rarely use. As long as I have room for some luggage for the occasional trip & my Doberman, in the back of an SUV I will be happy space wise.

So I guess I’m posting since you all know the platform better than I do at this point (I started considering it only about a week ago after gaining interest in a Wrangler - but some questionable safety, particularly for rear sear occupants aka my children steered me towards the Bronco instead. Also - the engine. The Stinger has me hooked on another twin turbo V6 power-plant, so I am loving that option). Just want to make sure we are not crazy for considering this as our “primary” family vehicle. We do also own a Stinger GT which is a 4 door sedan, so it’s not as if we don’t have any other useful vehicle. I feel the Bronco has so much more potential than your average car and seems to meet the points I’m looking for. Fun, utility and safety given the results on the Bronco Sport I feel the Big Bronco should have good results as well. Seems to hold a lot of possibilities.. so we are considering putting in a reservation and potentially an order quite soon, pending our dealers don’t have incredible markup over MSRP to begin the process.

Thanks in advance! I apologize if this has been covered to any degree, I did search and didn’t see anything.
I don't think it's a good choice. You can make anything work, but for me and our family, it is too small. I'm buying the Bronco as a toy, and that's what it is best at. I wouldn't buy it as the primary vehicle. Even a trip to hockey tournamentsd with both kids would overwhelm it iwth a coupld of hockey bags plus luggage.

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Telluride has been high on my list for awhile (the Wolf Gray/Nightfall edition), especially with how nice our Stinger is - but the engine kills me. I wish they would offer the TT V6 that we have in the Stinger. I do not think it is enough power for a vehicle that large for me to be satisfied.
Have you driven one? I haven’t driven a Stinger, but I am impressed with the V6 in the Telluride. MUCH more pickup than a 4Runner I had. Ours is front-wheel drive and it will get up and go. I didn’t drive one before I bought my wife this one. I just assumed (correctly) any V6 was fine for her daily and for us to take on trips. But now I love when I drive it. I have to watch myself to make sure I’m not going 90.

I have one daughter who will be driving in two years and another two years after that. I’ve been so impressed with this Kia that I plan to look at used Kias in lower models a couple years old closer to time. Or a used Bronco Sport.

Older one wants a 4-door Jeep, and I told her they just aren’t safe enough in collisions for me to put her in that to start her driving experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If this had to be my primary family vehicle there is no way it would work for me. We have a 14 year old, a 2 year old and one on the way. There is no way it would work. I wouldn't make my oldest sit between two car seats in that vehicle. The biggest reason I am able to consider it is because the wife drives an Explorer with the 3rd row. If none of your kids are in car seats, you could swing it. I would only worry if you travel with your dogs a lot. Not a ton of space in the back for them unless you add storage on the roof on longer trips.
Only 2 kids and no chance of a 3rd - and I rarely travel with my dogs (most trips with them are day trips or short trips where there isn’t enough luggage to be of much concern). I usually drop them off to be boarded before loading up the car and hitting the road.. so I have found I have literally never needed all the space in my van. I really just wanted the 3rd row when my son was an infant so I could sit with him in the back when I was out and about and have the privacy glass & space to feed him, etc. Now the 3rd row is used about once a year for the rare time I have company and we go out to eat (could easily just take 2 cars) so is a waste of space realistically. Since I have a roof top storage case, and could add the bars to the Bronco… Im a little less concerned for the once every few years long road trip where we have a lot of luggage & I do take my dogs.

Have you drive me one? I haven’t driven a Stinger, but I am impressed with the V6 in the Telluride. MUCH more pickup than a 4Runner I had. Ours is front-wheel drive and it will get up and go. I didn’t drive one before I bought my wife this one. I just assumed (correctly) any V6 was fine for her daily and for us to take on trips. But now I love when I drive it. I have to watch myself to make sure I’m not going 90z
I haven’t, just from looking at the numbers.. but the high 7 Second 0-60 leaves me craving more. I mean our Stinger has about 100 hp/torque more and is a much smaller vehicle (mid 4 second 0-60 real world). I have heard they feel/drive good - and my goal isn’t a sports car. But I need something that scratches the itch for something fun.

Last edited:

HBTFD

Black Diamond
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Cup holder problem solved circa 1980…..

Ford Bronco Ford Bronco as primary family vehicle? 1624284992063

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I do appreciate all of your input, you are all giving me some more things to think about! It helps talking it out and getting a wider view of opinions especially with the knowledge of the platform & other vehicle experience.

Cup holder problem solved circa 1980…..
Totally had these in my old pickup :ROFLMAO:

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
He just need’s room in the cargo area, I don’t have the dogs in the front on the upholstery.
I saw you addressed this in a later post, but wanted to come back to it - any of what you said seems quite doable, other than a trip with the kids, any significant amount of luggage AND the dog.

Lots of people with two kids make 4-door Wranglers their family rides. Tons of people (us included) have made Wranglers every-day drivers with big dogs. But combining them all and adding luggage would prove challenging!

The nice thing about being late to the game like this is you can put your reservation in now, and still have lots of time to go out and see/ride/drive them as they start being delivered. Your $100 is fully refundable, and you'll have until September before you even need to think about an actual order and 2022 before you need to think about actually committing (depending on your dealer you may have an additional deposit when you order).

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I saw you addressed this in a later post, but wanted to come back to it - any of what you said seems quite doable, other than a trip with the kids, any significant amount of luggage AND the dog.

Lots of people with two kids make 4-door Wranglers their family rides. Tons of people (us included) have made Wranglers every-day drivers with big dogs. But combining them all and adding luggage would prove challenging!

The nice thing about being late to the game like this is you can put your reservation in now, and still have lots of time to go out and see/ride/drive them as they start being delivered. Your $100 is fully refundable, and you'll have until September before you even need to think about an actual order and 2022 before you need to think about actually committing (depending on your dealer you may have an additional deposit when you order).
Exactly! Most other vehicles I am looking at are crossovers/2 row SUVs so the space situation is not unique to the Bronco. The Bronco is just way more versatile, has a better engine & aftermarket capabilities, so more possibilities in the same general pricing bracket. We have always had modified cars, and I like that I could still scratch that itch in this class of vehicle. While I have mostly kept sport/street cars - I had a truck with a moderate lift and some nicely sized A/T tires many years ago, and I’ve admittedly always sort of missed it.

Sponsored

Lord Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Lord
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My mom drove this when I was a kid (ours was a 1984; this is a 1987 pic but same color, only my mom didn’t have punk-ass running boards).

D459026B-BF93-4337-8AC2-0C110BA86B62.jpeg

Maineah

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Edge
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have struggled with this as well. Same situation as you, 2 kids and two good sized dogs. Kids are in car seats and will take up almost all of back seats and dogs will take up almost all of cargo area. The roof rack will only allow 110 lbs. so when you account for weight of enclosed box you're looking at roughly 90 lbs of capacity. As with anything, we'll just have to make it work but plan on looking for creative aftermarket interior storage options, using roof rack and a hitch mounted carrier if the spare isn't too much in the way. Will we have enough space? No. Will we make it work? Yes.

OP
OP
Jazer

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have struggled with this as well. Same situation as you, 2 kids and two good sized dogs. Kids are in car seats and will take up almost all of back seats and dogs will take up almost all of cargo area. The roof rack will only allow 110 lbs. so when you account for weight of enclosed box you're looking at roughly 90 lbs of capacity. As with anything, we'll just have to make it work but plan on looking for creative aftermarket interior storage options, using roof rack and a hitch mounted carrier if the spare isn't too much in the way. Will we have enough space? No. Will we make it work? Yes.
I feel like there is going to be some small sacrifice no matter what, so I might aleast have fun with it right? Lol