Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

3-5k or at least once a year. LOF is too cheap to do. Anyone doing the full synthetic thing….I have no issues with full syn. Ford has explicitly said the use of full syn does not relieve you from following their oil intervals. Don’t shoot the messenger here and I’m not going to debate or defend their position. Just putting it out there for consideration.
Any inside as to why the manual says use semi synthetic (aka blend)?

I can't imagine why they would wants to put any organic in there.
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Any inside as to why the manual says use semi synthetic (aka blend)?

I can't imagine why they would wants to put any organic in there.
I don't know. We've had the Motorcraft blend for years now both in bulk and bottle. Probably still a bunch of conventional out there for small engines and such. If you aren't going to us a/the dealer for service, just make sure you keep all of your maintenance receipts just in case.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was wondering why some were suggesting to change it so soon if the factory oil has such important components. I’ve never owned a brand new vehicle before.
I know that in some manufacturers, they do add extra additives to the factory oil to help with engine break in. So when people run out and dump the factory oil in the first 500 mi, they're actually hurting themselves.

Personally, and this is just my opinion, this is a train of thought that has outlived its usefulness. If you were to rebuild an engine, then doing a quick oil change helps get out any metal shavings and such that may have been left during the rebuild.

For example, this is a professional claim that is posted out there (not from a forum).

....On freshly built engines, you’ll need to change your oil and filter much more frequently. After using a break-in oil, you should change your oil at 50 miles, 500 miles, and 1,500 miles. Again, at 4,000 miles or so, it’s fine to switch to a synthetic oil if you choose.....

Really? You have to be kidding. Now then here is another professional post out there..

... Break In oil is specifically formulated to seal the piston rings against the cylinder wall for maximum engine compression and power. Break-in oils use conventional base oils without friction-modifier additives to allow controlled wear between the rings and cylinder wall. They also contain zinc and phosphorus additives to protect the camshaft and other components during break in...

now with Break In oil, that would be a "quick oil change"

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Going for first oil change at 2500 (a tad over) on Thursday. I’ll be doing a Blackstone Labs test - so, I’ll report back on that.

I figured there were parties that were adamant about 1000 miles and others that insisted 5000 was totally fine. So, if I went smack dab in the middle and had something to report - we can all gain from it.

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Service manager insisted that the factory no longer uses a break-in oil and that I should/could wait until 5k. I insisted and will be sending out an analysis to Blackstone. If anything I hope that the community can learn from it. I'll bring it back at 7500 and do the same.

Sponsored

Bronco 09

Badlands
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f350 KR dully
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We are going to change it 500 synthetic blend then 1,000 full synthetic then 2,000 then 5,000 and 5k after that with full synthetic.

BroncocnorB

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Cobra,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know. We've had the Motorcraft blend for years now both in bulk and bottle. Probably still a bunch of conventional out there for small engines and such. If you aren't going to us a/the dealer for service, just make sure you keep all of your maintenance receipts just in case.
I use high zinc conventional racing oil in my old cobra

BulldogBear

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Badlands, 2000 Mercedes-Benz G500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Question for all the synthetic folks: what brand are you using?

In my wife's vehicle, I use the mfg recommended Mobil 1

In my G-Wagen, I've used Red Line for over 12 years with no complaints other than it's a little pricey.

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I am an old timer, we always did oil changes at 3k, and I will stick to that. Cheap insurance on your motor.

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First oil change at 1000 miles, next at 5000 miles.then every 5000 miles thereafter.
I asked my dealer about break-in oil change and they said to wait till 5k miles

Sponsored

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

In my G-Wagen, I've used Red Line for over 12 years with no complaints other than it's a little pricey.
Amsoil Signature Series

Tonka Bronka

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, V60 Polestar, 900SS, K1300S, RnineT Racer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Service manager insisted that the factory no longer uses a break-in oil and that I should/could wait until 5k. I insisted and will be sending out an analysis to Blackstone. If anything I hope that the community can learn from it. I'll bring it back at 7500 and do the same.
While it is true that an actual “break in” oil is not used from the factory, that does not mean that the engine is not “breaking in”, meaning the parts are getting to know one another and wear materials will be generated.

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

FlyingScot

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I've used Castrol Edge when it had the BMW LL cert and stuck with it after dollars changed hands and it magically lost the cert with no formulation change, will probably use it in the Bronc since its easy to get from Walmart at a reasonable price, it's well regarded on the BITOG forums, and Blackstone oil reports have been very favorable so far.

I do love Redline and gladly shell out for their products in longer interval change items like diffs and transmissions, but not sure I see the value in using their motor oil.

Tentatively planning a fluid changing party around the 1500 mi mark.
Sponsored