Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi Kyle,

What do you think of tuning the Bronco with the 10r60 transmission?
Welcome!

Have you had a chance to poke around the Bronco much yet? If so, what would you look to do as a new owner from a mechanical perspective? There has been a lot of consternation on the forum over things like the drain plug, plastic oil pan, whether or not a catch can is needed ...

Given your knowledge, what would you look to do to your Bronco in the first 6 months to either address concerns or improve reliability? Or, would you just leave everything as it came from the factory?
Everyone is always worried about the plastic drain plugs and pans. To be honest, I have personally not seen any problems with them or have had any customers come in with broken ones. It saying maybe some skid plates may not be a bad idea, but the plastic is not as bad as it may seem.

What are your thoughts on catch can or best preventive upgrade we can do to prolong the life of the vechile?
Catch cans are always a good option for turbo charged vehicles. I do Super Charger installs on Mustangs and F150 and 9/10 times the customer ops for the catch can. It’s a nice little added insurance and definitely helps with prolonging engine wear and tear.
Hi Kyle,

What do you think of tuning the Bronco with the 10r60 transmission?

What are your thoughts on catch can or best preventive upgrade we can do to prolong the life of the vechile?
I have not come across any tuned 10R60. Most common problem I have seen is a unseated snap ring which causes a harsh 7-6 downshift. Other than that they have been pretty reliable. A catch can is always a good add on for any forces indiction vehicle. It helps with prolonging engine and turbo wear and tear. They too need to be maintained and regularly drained to keep everything running smoothly.
Sponsored

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
welcome aboard I am sure you are going to get pounded with questions any moment now lol good luck!
Yes, they have already started lol. I will try to get to everyone’s questions as quickly as I can.

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
What’s up with the new FL-2062A? Equal to the old filter design and good enough by your standards or a downgrade?
I have to say Ford, at least in my opinion has always had very good oil filters and in my 15+ years have never seen a failure of one. If there is one thing Ford can do, it’s make a good oil filter. Thank

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi Kyle, great name!

So what is the deal with the break in period what are the real do's and don'ts?

- Kyle
Hello Kyle,
My best advice that I give is really just keep the rpms under 3500 for the first 500 miles. Not a bad idea to get an oil change done around 1000 miles just to clean out any residual metal from manufacturing that may have got caught inside. After that I recommend oil changes every 5k miles and no more than that. I see too many vehicles come in that go 10k. because that’s what the book say last and end up going 12-15k and the oil that comes out is not good.

Sponsored

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you feel that a powertrain / comprehensive extended service contract would be a good idea for a regular person?

What is your choice of oil and why? How often would you change it compared to its rating?

Do you think that a shade tree mechanic could take a salvaged sway bar disconnect from a Badlands and get it to work in another trim, separate from the computer / rest of truck and by using perhaps an auxiliary switch?

Thank you for offering to answer our questions!

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hi Kyle,

Any idea on when replacement parts typically become available to order for new models?

There’s some OEM cosmetic pieces I’d like to order for the Bronco
I don’t deal too much in the parts side of things but replacement parts should be available as soon as the vehicle comes on the market which it has. Now with that being said, COVID has thrown a wrench into a lot of the parts availability and typically we see a 3 week back log on most parts.

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Hey Kyle, welcome aboard and good luck.
I'll start off with a simple question, maybe you have the answer.

Tow hitch (Ford) installed after delivery. Will it be plug and play or will I be running wires all over the place?

And....

Signature lights and standard use same plugs? In other words, would I be able to install Signature lights on my Base Bronco?

Thanks in advance.
Great questions,

I would actually have to do a little research on both of your questions. Typically a dealer installed trailer hitch needs to be wired up to some extent. Some have a pigtail harness that needs to be wired in and some need to run wires front to back. Also I would need to look into your lighting question. It’s very possible there are different wiring harnesses due to the difference in the lights but I am not 100% sure at the moment.

Sponsored

mootruck98

Badlands
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello Kyle,
My best advice that I give is really just keep the rpms under 3500 for the first 500 miles. Not a bad idea to get an oil change done around 1000 miles just to clean out any residual metal from manufacturing that may have got caught inside. After that I recommend oil changes every 5k miles and no more than that. I see too many vehicles come in that go 10k. because that’s what the book say last and end up going 12-15k and the oil that comes out is not good.
Thanks Kyle, pretty sure oil changes at 3k are ingrained in me, so I'll be twitching just making it to 5k.

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Do you feel that a powertrain / comprehensive extended service contract would be a good idea for a regular person?

What is your choice of oil and why? How often would you change it compared to its rating?

Do you think that a shade tree mechanic could take a salvaged sway bar disconnect from a Badlands and get it to work in another trim, separate from the computer / rest of truck and by using perhaps an auxiliary switch?

Thank you for offering to answer our questions!
I do believe getting a extended warranty is a wise idea for anyone who owns any brand vehicle. Vehicles now a days have so many moving parts and electronics even the simplest of fixes could cost over $500. I recommend getting an extended contract right before the original warranty is about to expire.

I will be honest, Fords oil and Filters are some of the best on the market. In my 15+ years I have never seen a failed filter. Of you want to go aftermarket. AMS oil is the way to go. I recommend to all my customers 5k-7.5k max on oil change intervals. Oil changes are the cheapest insurance you can buy.

I do not believe swapping a sway bar disconnect will be an easy task. Wiring harnesses and modules will need replacing along with some programming.

OP
OP
AllFordTech

AllFordTech

Base
First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has your bronco been delivered yet? If so what did you order?
I have not received mine yet. I went with a Base Model just for the fact that I know the aftermarket is going to go crazy over these things so why spend the extra money and have something everyone else has when I can make it my own.