Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I looked at portals and they look awesome for rock crawling. IMO though they still leave some to be desired because you don’t gain wheel articulation. For what I do, I would much prefer to have a super dialed in ride quality off road and be able to push things at speed more. And when I get in to the rocks, I won’t be lifting tires because of the articulation. Granted I won’t have the same clearance, but that’s a worthy trade off to me.
I like your decision..... Absolutely agree with every conclusion you have come to. I ended up going the other way because my trail riding is slower and demands more clearance. There is no way I could come close to that at speed through the whoops.... That is awesome articulation. I am impressed with APG!

I also see that if you remove the fender flares you will have more clearance than what appears in the photos. It does appear though that the front King air bump stop is extended all the way down currently. It looks like the rear has more room to move down (or up). Am I correct? Maybe that front could come down a little further?... NOT saying it needs to...

This is what I am saying about building these things... It is all about where you wheel and matching those needs! I LOVE your choices!

BroncoMTB

Raptor
First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

It’s beautiful work… and at over $20k in suspension parts alone it should be!!

I’d be concerned about flex in the chassis at the speeds this is now capable of off-road. The Bronco Raptor has additional bracing for a reason… Litebrite had to reinforce their Step-Child for similar reasons and they mainly appear to do low-speed rock crawling.

Overall, killer build.

Sponsored

GRIFFINCONWAY

Badlands
First Name
Griffin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s beautiful work… and at over $20k in suspension parts alone it should be!!

I’d be concerned about flex in the chassis at the speeds this is now capable of off-road. The Bronco Raptor has additional bracing for a reason… Litebrite had to reinforce their Step-Child for similar reasons and they mainly appear to do low-speed rock crawling.

Overall, killer build.
The chassis has two thick steel braces that go inside the hard top and ties in to 8 locations on the roll cage on each side đź’Ş I'm pretty sure my chassis is significantly stronger than the Raptor is now. Granted, I only did this because of what I put on top of my vehicle though!

Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 11.09.42 AM.jpg

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
@APG please make a track bar drop down bracket that works with the stock travel suspension!

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The chassis has two thick steel braces that go inside the hard top and ties in to 8 locations on the roll cage on each side đź’Ş I'm pretty sure my chassis is significantly stronger than the Raptor is now. Granted, I only did this because of what I put on top of my vehicle though!

Ford Bronco Front and Rear Long Travel Bronco Build Screenshot 2024-01-11 at 11.09.42 AM
wtf.gif

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
How do the front CV’s withstand that much articulation? Aftermarket high angle axles?

Sponsored

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do the front CV’s withstand that much articulation? Aftermarket high angle axles?
Longer front control arms allow for more articulation with similar driveline angles. It obvioulsy needs new front axles but uses the stock CV cups, but longer arms give more travel at the same angles.

Heckler

Wildtrak
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Oh ok I see makes sense. Thanks

Longer front control arms allow for more articulation with similar driveline angles. It obvioulsy needs new front axles but uses the stock CV cups, but longer arms give more travel at the same angles.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We are excited to showcase this customer build featuring our Bolt On Long Travel Front Suspension, and our Bolt on/Weld On Rear Suspension. This customer had our MidRunner King suspension system and was looking to push his Bronco a bit more. Our long travel system was the perfect upgrade.

Front Long Travel: https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/bronco-front-long-travel-suspension-bolt-on/
Rear Long Travel: https://automotiveperformancegroup.com/product/bronco-rear-long-travel-suspension/

Check our video for the full details and let us know any questions you have!
I'll never need this extreme of a setup, but I am completely impressed with the thoroughness of your design and engineering. I love all the thought you put into designing parts to be used for more than one setup. Seeing that you put that much effort in those areas tells us you left no compromises. (y) (y) (y) (y) (y)

TruckCamper

Base
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250 on 37s. 2021 Tacoma (manual)
Your Bronco Model
Base
@APG - Any interest designing rear 4 link suspension (high clearance) for rock crawling? I want nothing hanging below the axle tubes (coilover mount / control arm). Clearance is key for big rocks. Ideally get 4-5" suspension lift with proper geometry with increased axle clearance.

I've debated building custom front bracket drop coilover lift combination for getting the belly height up. I've found 18-20" belly height is ideal for Sierra Nevada rock crawling. It seems achievable with Portal axles but the extra weight and ongoing maintenance seems less than ideal.

I'm surprised that the aftermarket has not addressed the horrible axle clearance. My wife's 2021 Tacoma on 30.5" tires has better axle clearance than my 2023 Bronco on 37s. Dragging the rig through obstacles is not my idea of a fun time.
Sponsored