Sponsored

Got my windshield recall notice today, should I do it?

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base
I just got my windshield recall notice! I'm on the fence on this one, as it's best to leave something alone if it isn't broke in my opinion. I had my rear window on a pickup replaced one time, and they ended up breaking the glass. I was finding broken glass for years in the cab! My windshield has no leak or wind issues. I don't just take what the government says at face value, not anymore! Even if the windshield came out during a crash, what's going to happen? You are not going to be ejected through the windshield if your seatbelts are on and/or the airbags deploy. Seems like the risk is infinitesimal small if at all. That said, If I have it done do they reuse the existing windshield or put in a new one? Anyone have this done yet?
Sponsored

shoelessjoe

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Chevy Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just got my windshield recall notice! I'm on the fence on this one, as it's best to leave something alone if it isn't broke in my opinion. I had my rear window on a pickup replaced one time, and they ended up breaking the glass. I was finding broken glass for years in the cab! My windshield has no leak or wind issues. I don't just take what the government says at face value, not anymore! Even if the windshield came out during a crash, what's going to happen? You are not going to be ejected through the windshield if your seatbelts are on and/or the airbags deploy. Seems like the risk is infinitesimal small if at all. That said, If I have it done do they reuse the existing windshield or put in a new one? Anyone have this done yet?
They remove the windshield and replace the adhesive and re-install the windshield.

XmasLightsBronco

Badlands
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I work for another OEM and we're having a similar issue with regards to windshields.

I believe the recall is with the adhesive used. The dealer will most likely try to remove the window without breaking it and reseal the window using the correct process. In some cases, removing the windshield will break it and they will give you a new windshield. For stuff like this, most OEMs subcontract out the repair to companies like Safelite.

It's a safety issue, so I'd be afraid that if the dealer didn't have parts available, the dealer could keep the vehicle. (Not sure on that though.)

adamruiz2001

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford SVT Lightning
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would schedule the recall repair, but only take it in if they have a windshield available if it breaks.

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I personally would get it done but drag my feet a while to see if turn around time starts getting better...kind of like my plan for my airbag cover.

Derbystud

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 F250 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The problem isn't about holding you in in a accident. The windshield is a support for the airbags when they go off. If it blows it out then it has no support to do its job.

Sponsored

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They will hound you until the recall is completed and their records indicate such. I received my notice as well.

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seems the initial recall was a broader time frame than the actual issue. Got the letter in the mail earlier this week (or late last week, it all runs together) and I checked Ford website tonight and I'm in the clear.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wish mine were recalled. It would save me $250 getting this fixed. The result of a rock getting flipped up on the highway and bouncing off of my windshield. 😫
RCJJwOm.jpg

Patriotic

Wildtrak
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Wildtrak; ‘23 Porsche 992T; ‘20 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Seems the initial recall was a broader time frame than the actual issue. Got the letter in the mail earlier this week (or late last week, it all runs together) and I checked Ford website tonight and I'm in the clear.
What website did you check?
Sponsored