Sponsored

GPS/NAV now connected / monthly subscription to use only?

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Assuming everyone is familiar with Connected vs Built in NAV on our Broncos, where Connected must have a paid subscription to use but Built In can be used without a subscription, it looks like Ford might have dropped the Built In, forcing everyone that wants to use the native GPS to pay a monthly fee.

I noticed this because I was curious as to how much my build would sticker today, and in the current MY24 builder, the High/Lux package does not say "Built in navigation". :(
Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Isn't the built in also only valid for 3 years? I don't recall the verbiage on the build and price screen.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I assume Connected means "I'm paying for map updates".

OP
OP

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Isn't the built in also only valid for 3 years? I don't recall the verbiage on the build and price screen.
Better not be, but wouldn't surprise me. Doesn't matter that much to me, I use google maps anyway, and didn't get the lux for the nav, but it's still a pretty crappy thing to do.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alrighty then...

Connected Navigation
  • 2021-2023MY: Included with the Mid or High package. 90 day trial included.
  • 2024MY: Included with the Mid and High/Lux package. 1 year trial included.
Navigation, traffic data, map updates works using the cellular data connection, and works similarly to a smartphone. In America it is connected to AT&T's network.

Built-In Connected Navigation
  • 2021-2023MY: Included with the Lux package. 3 year trial is included.
  • 2024MY: N/A
Navigation is handled similarly to the old school Garmin and Tomtom GPS units using a built-in database and it continues to work even after the trial (or subscription) expires. Traffic, weather, and map updates use the same cellular data connection I mention before and is dependent on an active trial/subscription.

Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wish auto makers would chill a bit on forcing everyone to apple/android connectivity for maps. Not everywhere has a cell signal, heck my area I live in still uses a barely 4 mb DSL connection at home with zero cell signal from home for most.

I cross the eastern part of the state and unless on the interstate there are tons of pockets with zero cell coverage and built in mapsā€¦.like in my cheap Mazda, work great. For a $59k vehicle one should get offline maps included.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I wish auto makers would chill a bit on forcing everyone to apple/android connectivity for maps. Not everywhere has a cell signal, heck my area I live in still uses a barely 4 mb DSL connection at home with zero cell signal from home for most.

I cross the eastern part of the state and unless on the interstate there are tons of pockets with zero cell coverage and built in mapsā€¦.like in my cheap Mazda, work great. For a $59k vehicle one should get offline maps included.
Oh I 100% agree with this, drives me nuts.

BUT CarPlay and Android Auto capability is the #2 most important non-safety related feature that people look for in a vehicle. Which means the trend away from offline maps will continue.

And... honestly... can't really blame Ford, doesn't makes sense to sign a gigantic contract with one of the navigation providers to offer a feature that most buyers don't care about because they're simply rather use their phones instead. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ā€˜94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Oh I 100% agree with this, drives me nuts.

BUT CarPlay and Android Auto capability is the #2 most important non-safety related feature that people look for in a vehicle. Which means the trend away from offline maps will continue.

And... honestly... can't really blame Ford, doesn't makes sense to sign a gigantic contract with one of the navigation providers to offer a feature that most buyers don't care about because they're simply rather use their phones instead. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
I agree, if I was to step back and look at it honestly, I canā€™t blame Ford for that either. Phone connectivity is a huge deal these so like you said, why spend $$$ licensing maps.

Iā€™m old and my phone isnā€™t an extension of my body, but I get itā€¦.the same sort of need for me was demanding a cassette deck in my ride back in the day. šŸ¤Ŗ

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree, if I was to step back and look at it honestly, I canā€™t blame Ford for that either. Phone connectivity is a huge deal these so like you said, why spend $$$ licensing maps.

Iā€™m old and my phone isnā€™t an extension of my body, but I get itā€¦.the same sort of need for me was demanding a cassette deck in my ride back in the day. šŸ¤Ŗ
I'll admit that I held onto my cassette deck and my cassette adapter longer than I should have.

You could use it to play just about anything... CD, cassettes (obviously), iPods, Minidiscs, etc. and it was FAR easier to use than the early versions of bluetooth.

Ford Bronco GPS/NAV now connected / monthly subscription to use only? 1699575245207

Also... get off my lawn! šŸ§“

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wish auto makers would chill a bit on forcing everyone to apple/android connectivity for maps. Not everywhere has a cell signal, ...
Not an excuse for this being a thing because it is crappy -- but just letting you know, you can download offline maps in both Google and Apple so they still work when you aren't in cell coverage. A life saver in the mountains. Makes it a bit bearable.

I just use Carplay for anything on my Bronco, that said, I have the dumb-as-rocks edition and if I didn't use Carplay I'd just have AM/FM.

Sponsored

Oldhippie

Big Bend
First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X1, ā€˜1928 model A, ā€œ23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
After spending over a week on the Oregon Coast with very little signal I am thinking of just getting a Garmin Tread to cover everything...Loved my old Garmin gps, easier to use and never lost signal...

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I specifically added on the Built in Nav on my order. Love it. So far, when I have lost signal, it just kept on working, but with an Offline warning which I believe just prevents it from looking stuff up like "find me a Starbucks"
Sponsored