Sponsored

Hardtop Roof Rack: if you were buying today?

jofer

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Bronco Sport, '23 2dr Bronco Badlands+Sasquatc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Another vote for trailrax from me. I know you're not looking for a half rack, but I think they're by far the best for folks who are. There are other options that seem to be good for a full rack, especially for 4-door. In my case (2dr, really wanted a half rack to keep the top panels fully open), they're the only really good choice. They're also local, in my case, which was a very big plus.

One note for anyone looking at the 2dr half rack with the side packs (I can't remember the proper name for those right now): The optional grab handles for the side of the top rack won't quite work as-is for the 2dr half rack with the side packs. You'll need to use some spacers or stacked washers to move them out to clear the top mounts for the side carriers. No big deal, but it makes them weaker, as there's more leverage being put on the side of the rack.
Sponsored

RallyGorgo

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thereā€™s a sale going on right now, Presidentā€™s Day sale? Check their site.

OP
OP
MaximuNashville

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thereā€™s a sale going on right now, Presidentā€™s Day sale? Check their site.
You got me all excited! lol. I checked and it looks like none of the 4 door racks qualify bc they arenā€™t in stock.

OP
OP
MaximuNashville

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Sponsored

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@TrailRax - is there a ā€˜kitā€™ that would allow someone to upgrade to the full rack from the Pax Rax stand alone kit?

Also, why canā€™t I preorder this one and get a discount? šŸ¤£šŸ˜­ doesnā€™t actually look like it can be ordered at all.

https://trailrax.com/collections/fo...it-for-the-ford-bronco?variant=43583515525287
We do not offer the Pak Rax stand alone kit because we are still in testing and finding ways to save on cost. To be entirely transparent, a half rack with pak rax is not far from just the stand alone pak rax in price.

OP
OP
MaximuNashville

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
We do not offer the Pak Rax stand alone kit because we are still in testing and finding ways to save on cost. To be entirely transparent, a half rack with pak rax is not far from just the stand alone pak rax in price.
makes sense! Appreciate the transparency. If Iā€™m ever wanting to go full rack does it make the most sense to wait until Iā€™m completely ready? Thinking there no way to upgrade the half rack and that itā€™s a full replacement to go full length?

EasternSierra

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Transit Connect van
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about the racks from Raket Designs?

FootPain

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco BB 17 Explorer 04 Mach 1 98 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I have an RCI rack and besides some poor powder coating in some me areas it's done a great job and I think it looks the best

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
makes sense! Appreciate the transparency. If Iā€™m ever wanting to go full rack does it make the most sense to wait until Iā€™m completely ready? Thinking there no way to upgrade the half rack and that itā€™s a full replacement to go full length?
Adding more transparency here, Many brands offer that multi piece design of a rack to switch between the two but during our R&D of our TRMR Rack, we broke every single multi piece rack version that we made, it basically requires tons of material to be stacked there to keep the weak spot from breaking off.

If you see that you would run a full length rack for some trips, it is worth it to save till you can get the full length. The full length offers so many more benefits over the half rack. Also, you can still remove the front and middle panels off with the rack on! If you decide a half rack, we will absolutely help you getting the "kit" to upgrade to the full length when you see the need for it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
MaximuNashville

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Adding more transparency here, Many brands offer that multi piece design of a rack to switch between the two but during our R&D of our TRMR Rack, we broke every single multi piece rack version that we made, it basically requires tons of material to be stacked there to keep the weak spot from breaking off.

If you see that you would run a full length rack for some trips, it is worth it to save till you can get the full length. The full length offers so many more benefits over the half rack. Also, you can still remove the front and middle panels off with the rack on! If you decide a half rack, we will absolutely help you getting the "kit" to upgrade to the full length when you see the need for it.
Refreshing to have a company be so willing to be honest! Now to start saving and watch for a sale on the full rack with pak rax.

OP
OP
MaximuNashville

MaximuNashville

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about the racks from Raket Designs?
I have an RCI rack and besides some poor powder coating in some me areas it's done a great job and I think it looks the best
Thank you both! I will check those out for sure. Really leaning toward trailrax but willing to keep an open mind for sure.

TrailRax

Badlands
Lux Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
TrailRax
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trailrax.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Refreshing to have a company be so willing to be honest! Now to start saving and watch for a sale on the full rack with pak rax.
We will have big sales at our shows we are attending this year and major holidays just as a hint hint!

CalvinT

Badlands
First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon, 2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I originally ordered the factory rack. Then while waiting I started researching racks. I cancelled the factory rack. I couldn't find anything for it other than the Ford accessories catalog.

I went with TrailRax. First the t-bars are pretty generic. That means I'm more likely to find something that will bolt to it. They seemed to put the most thought into their design. Pax Rax is a good example. They add another 70 pounds capacity on each side. Their support is excellent, both on here and phone.

As others have mentioned, they often go on sale. I got a discount when I bought mine at Overland Expo.

It's a several hour project for two guys to install the rack, but the instructions were clear. Also there were no fitment problems.

I only made one change. The Pax Rax come with stainless hex bolts which clash with the all black finish of the TrailRax. I found stainless black oxide screws and washers on McMaster-Carr that matched the other hardware.

IMG_3017.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited: