Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 Explorer ST, ā€˜19 GT350, ā€˜21 Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I wanted The hard top in the beginning but opted for a soft top to get it faster living in a very snowy state it was really no big deal it is noisier and the windows do scratch very very easily but it is pretty fun to just take it up and down and it I really liked it a lot more than I thought I would.
The soft top noise level is less that 1db higher than the hardtop.
Sponsored

Oday

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
1db must Be a lot because it is louder than the hardtop. Especially the crap vinyl windows the sound comes right through in the back we took the top off completely all summer so I havenā€™t had to deal with it but I do not like it when the windows get dirty in the winter with salt and grime and crap theyā€™re nearly impossible to clean and even if you do it as carefully as possible the windows get trashed and scratched

Laurensimms7

Outer Banks
First Name
Lauren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Went hardtop majorly because itll be a daily driver, and also liked the looks of it best. Another deciding factor was that paying 600ish bucks for a hard top was WAY cheaper than getting one aftermarket for over 5k. If we want a soft top in the future, we can get one aftermarket for MUCH less than 5k. So it was a no brainer in that sense.

BroncoSarge

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 AMB Bronco, 2021 CO Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I understand the wavy windows, chuck wagon dips and thatā€™s the hard top looks better. The ease and versatility of the soft top is huge. I only have the back windows in during the winter. Donā€™t have the wavy issue. My top is half back minimum almost every time I drive it. No tools, not lifts and no headaches. 2 seconds and Iā€™m topless. Rain coming? Leave the top down until I feel drops. Toss it up and continue the drive. Not having to check the weather before I leave is a nice thing.

Ford Bronco Hardtop vs Soft Top 38CC163B-5E93-4C58-B16B-EEC90455E806

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The soft top was noticably quieter than my hard top. Especially at speeds over 65mph. Also the hard top buffers when you remove panels and keep the back hatch on.

I prefer the soft top for mild weather but the hard top is a huge benefit in the 100f+ weather. Bronco is definitely cooler inside, I actually can turn the A/C down while cruising around.

Sponsored

Ricky_gibbs

Base
First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini countryman
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is not true. Maybe in your mind but crime is opportunisticā€¦. Open window,open door etc. Crooks normally are not going to slice your top apart. They can get in just as easily using a glass punch and not making any noise.
So I think that depends on area, I have buddies who are die hard jeep guys and they have had their jeeps tops cut open often enough where they made the choice of just leaving their jeep unlocked. I think a hardtop just adds a little higher level of deterrent. Also not sure if anyone mentioned it, but where I'm at there is a heavy stray cat problem. It is not uncommon for cats to sharpen their claws on a soft top

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've noticed here and in the marketplace a strong general preference for hard tops over soft tops. Trying to figure out why - from my point of view, I'd rather have a soft top that I can take completely off, but yet still have all of the components to put it back on right in the back of the truck. Taking off the hard top seems like a major commitment and if you get caught in the rain, you're stuck. I don't have my Bronco yet so wondering for thos who want thard top - what am I missing? Is it a noise factor? Is it just plain looks? What else?
Some things to consider, you decide how important they are to you:

#1 - The soft top side rear windows are saggy on every factory top Iā€™ve seen.

#2 - The rear of the soft top doesnā€™t open, only lift up several inches to gain limited access.

DriveAllNight

Wildtrak
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One Very Cool Ride
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It's kind of an obvious answer - not everyone is the same.
People live in very different locations.
People have different needs for their vehicles.
And looks.

Dingbat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars, bikes, canoes, sailboatsā€¦
Your Bronco Model
Base
I wanted both hard top and soft top. Figured a soft top would be easier and less expensive to pick up aftermarket so I ordered mine with the hard top.
From what Iā€™m seeing so far, that was the right choice.

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Soft but Trek Top. Sold factory soft top.

Ford Bronco Hardtop vs Soft Top 38CC163B-5E93-4C58-B16B-EEC90455E806
That's the one... I've got hardtop coming, but will also get a soft top, because, why not both? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Sponsored

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is not true. Maybe in your mind but crime is opportunisticā€¦. Open window,open door etc. Crooks normally are not going to slice your top apart. They can get in just as easily using a glass punch and not making any noise.
I have to admit, I ordered the hardtop but Iā€™m very happy with the soft top. It has its negatives, but to pull over and adjust to a full convertible in a few minutes is way too convenient. Having a hardtop in my old jeep was such a pain.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I knew I wanted the hard top from day one, being a daily driver in Alaska I knew it would see 6 months of snow and nasty road grime. Snow load, insulation factor, rear wiper, defroster and flip up rear window were must haves for me. I've found the hard top super useful, easily put on/off in minutes. Very happy with my decision. There is no right or wrong top, it's whatever works best for you based on climate, usage..ect

Ford Bronco Hardtop vs Soft Top 20220214_170607
Ford Bronco Hardtop vs Soft Top 20220519_173437

DD214

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Pilot, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a soft top. Wanted a hard top. May buy a hard top after the winter.
I have a 2018 JLU with both that I bought for my son. A hard top lift in the garage is easy to put up .

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

As stated, the 2 door doesn't come with a soft top and being a 2 door, I'm planning on adding a roof rack. Plus I like the look of the hard top and the future sales value; especially if I end up with an aftermarket soft top too.

Buying a soft top aftermarket will have way more choices and cheaper than a hard top aftermarket too. Especially since the 2 door came with the hard top for less than a 4 door soft top base unit, And, we couldn't get a manual soft top base trim 4 door if you wanted.

I don't get the idea that taking off the front panels is so hard? I've owned T-tops and used them all the time, yes the releases were faster than the panels, but not that difficult?

If I get Bronco on time I'm going on a trip to Death Valley and I'm planning on taking the clam shell off the back when I get to there (when friends can help) and wrap in a trap and cable lock it to a trailer; then after running for 4 days with top off and we'll put it back on. It should only take a couple of people about 5 minutes to take off.

I'll have a waterproof cover from day one too. I'll be covering my Bronco all the time to keep lookie loos away while keeping it clean too; lot's of messy trees where I live.

Last edited:

JoeSpeed

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr 2.3 Manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I first wanted dual top figuring winter here in Chicago. When the hard tops went to crap and held up production, I opted for the soft only. Sooooooooo happy! Lots of softtops winter here, lol, and the convenience of dropping it as you want? I see hard tops now and wonder, what is wrong with you?
Ford Bronco Hardtop vs Soft Top 1662318627791
Sponsored