First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Phone is a dumb argument. Could be completely dead, but 99% of the places I go (or while I'm going), I can charge it. Not so with the thing that is charging your phone.

As for plugging/unplugging.

1. Since I have almost 5 acres and park in more than one spot, that's a lot of outlets or dragging out decently heavy cords for upwards of 200 feet. So much for 8 seconds plugging in.

2. Same cords will get trashed if frozen to driveway and then I have to plow.

3. That means EVERY time I come home I plug in. Many times end up going out for "some" errand. Right now I only have to re-fuel once a week. I NEVER have to think about it, even slightly. ZERO planning........

4. Even if you have only 2 electrics parked side by side, you are going to be running over cords, or having to get out and move them. May sound sexist, but many woman are not going to give a crap their cord in is your way to park. Now if you have 5 cars all @ the end of the driveway, like my next door neighbor (3 driving age kids, and they NEVER leave home these days, apparently). What a friggin nightmare that is going to be with cords all over. I guess you can drive over them and eventually ruin them.

5. And the worst thing will be cheap relatives/friends who come over and hit you up for a cord. "hey, mind if a plug in for a bit". Of course, especially with relatives, hard to say no. But I'll be the nice guy that gives out 1000% more free electric, than I get back.

Valid on having more charging accessibility for your phone than your car.

Do you think your situation is the norm or the exception.

It sounds like you are claiming you are incapable of planning to keep one of your many spots on your 5 acres for a specific vehicle?

It also sounds like you would often forget to lock your car or your house when you leave, or roll up your windows when you get home, all about the same level of effort is grabbing a cord when you come home.

Or can't think of anyway to manage your electrical cords, I fell like i have seen a few mechanics shops figure this out
Ford Bronco Here’s why you won’t see an electric Bronco 1613520344617

re #4 if you are suggesting every car is an EV for that many cars...we are thinking FAR into the future and who knows what charing that may hold. But thats about your only valid point in 1-5, manuevering around 4 cars in a single drive/garage would be a pain and i wouldn't recommend.

#5. I am assuming this is a joke, but similar to #4 implies Mass adoption which isn't the near term, and would suggest far better infrastructure or efficiencies where having to pick up a charge will either be the exception, or so cheap you really would care. but seriously. What about the golden rule. what kind a friend are you? :p

Let's be honest none of those are great excuses about why an EV wouldn't work for someone.

Tell me there isn't a charger within 10-15 miles of you and you travel 300 miles a day...maybe.
But those supposed "inconveniences" aren't really inconveniences as much as a slight change in behavior.
Sponsored

Billm0066

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Can't think of one that ever made it where I couldn't drive my gas powered vehicle. In my area people were without power because of a massive ice storm in 2007. Could pull right up to the gas station pay with cash and their gas powered backup generators powered the gas pumps without a problem ..sorry EV owners that just is not possible. "Plug in" EV's have to be the dumbest idea ever invented.
One time in 14 years? I guess I couldn’t use a generator at my house to charge my Tesla……

I’ve had my Tesla for 15 months and absolutely love the car. My biggest thing I might regret about getting a fe is having to get gas again.

This is a big issue with the internet. Hard headed people with no experience in something giving their opinion. it’s like getting exercise advise from a baker. Or advise on guns from a liberal. Makes no sense.
Zero to 60 does nothing for me. Going around a road track for 10-30 min a whole lot more fun.

Saying that my cousin buys and sells used Tesla's on the side.. he has his own, he loves them. He lives in Chicago and is a pilot for Southwest. He said they are a pain the ass to keep charged, and my numbers are spot on because he gave them to me...lol..he said the best super charger to get an 80% charge is 45 min...sorry that is just a wacky use of time. I don't plan out for fuel..when I get low I fuel up, I have no worries..

Sorry Plug In EV is about as interesting as Steam Power. Actually I think Jay Leno proved he can get his Stanley Steamer up and powered faster than a Tesla 😅😅😅
I’ve owned mine for 15 months. Maybe your cousin is a bit slow? Hard to keep charged? He’s not able to insert at a charger when he gets home? It does involve tapping a button and inserting a charger, seems tough I guess….

Your numbers are off.
At home charging on a 60 amp circuit charges at 45mph. 300 mile capacity, do the math. Full charge at night regardless of how low it is.

level 2 super chargers charge around 500mph.

level 3 is around 1,000mph.

regardless it’s slower than pumping gas. They start at top speed and slow as it gets more charged. The software is designed so you know how much charge you need to get to your next destination with enough battery in reserve. It’s impossible to run on battery unless you are a moron. Just like running out of gas.

With that being said I’ve used super chargers a whopping 3 times in 15 months. It gets plugged in at the end of the day and it’s full in the morning. Pretty simple stuff.

It goes around a track very quickly ;) handles like an m3 and even faster than one. 50/50 weight distribution and 100% torque at all times.

im far from a Tesla fanboy. Their build quality is subpar compared to many brands. My previous Audi’s had much better interior quality. Tesla has pros and cons like everyone else. Mostly pros though.

also your numbers are wrong. Just in case that wasn’t clear. Go on a Tesla forum and confirm what I posted.

Billm0066

First Edition
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Phone is a dumb argument. Could be completely dead, but 99% of the places I go (or while I'm going), I can charge it. Not so with the thing that is charging your phone.

1. Since I have almost 5 acres and park in more than one spot, that's a lot of outlets or dragging out decently heavy cords for upwards of 200 feet. So much for 8 seconds plugging in.

3. That means EVERY time I come home I plug in. Many times end up going out for "some" errand. Right now I only have to re-fuel once a week. I NEVER have to think about it, even slightly. ZERO planning........

4. Even if you have only 2 electrics parked side by side, you are going to be running over cords, or having to get out and move them. May sound sexist, but many woman are not going to give a crap their cord in is your way to park. Now if you have 5 cars all @ the end of the driveway, like my next door neighbor (3 driving age kids, and they NEVER leave home these days, apparently). What a friggin nightmare that is going to be with cords all over. I guess you can drive over them and eventually ruin them.

5. And the worst thing will be cheap relatives/friends who come over and hit you up for a cord. "hey, mind if a plug in for a bit". Of course, especially with relatives, hard to say no. But I'll be the nice guy that gives out 1000% more free electric, than I get back.

Sounds like an electric car isn’t for you. It’s not for everyone. Your situation is unique. I have a garage like most people. I pull my car inside and plug it in. Easier than getting gas.

not sure you run over cords. They get hung up. Do you drive over gas pumps?

Sponsored
OP
OP

MacHudson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Edge
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I am sure they would love to, if they could afford to fit them in the space in the small city. I don't disagree. But it doesn't change the fact that they can't or they would. and there wouldn't be laundromats
stackable washer and dryer- standard issue in the modern condo buildings ...

https://www.pcrichard.com/Whirlpool...acked-Washer-Dryer-Combo-White/WET4027HW.pcrp

we all get dishwashers now, too. Only in old, crappy buildings can you get away with forcing people to do laundromats. The new ones come with personal laundry inside the apartment, and a proper dishwasher.

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most of the outage was caused by non-renewable energy going off-line:

"The wind is not solely to blame," explained Wade Schauer, a research director at energy research consultancy Wood Mackenzie to Bloomberg News. Of the 34 gigawattsgeneration capacity forced offline, Schauer estimates that about 27 gigawatts of coal, nuclear, and gas capacity is unavailable in part because the cold has driven up demand for natural gas for heating. "That's the bigger problem," he told Bloomberg News. The pipeline system is not able to deliver enough natural gas to supply both higher demand for home heating and power generation.

In fact, similar state-wide power outages previously occurred in February 2011 when wind and solar power constituted less than 4 percent of Texas' generation capacity. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's report on the 2011 weather event noted that 193 generating units failed, resulting in rolling power outages that affected 3.2 million customers. Most of the outages in 2011 occurred as a result of frozen sensors and valves and natural gas shortages. The same problems with insufficiently winterized equipment appear to be happening now.

But, it sure is easy to blame renewable energy, rather than look at the root cause, right?

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base

1. 99.3% of people don't have 5 acre compounds requiring massive extension cords.

2. Why would you have the cords outside? Do you not have power tools or appliances in your 5 acres? Are they all outside?

3. In my 6 years of driving Volts, I forgot to plug in TWICE. I forgot to close the garage door or turn off the stove more often, as a comparison.

4. Fact: Women are more organized than men. And 96.7% of households don't have 5 cars.

5. I had a Fixed rate plan: $43/month, unlimited charging. Do you worry about people taking your Internet too?

5. (the second 5): I don't argue with those who think the Sun goes around the Earth. That being stated, I predict that almost all of us will be driving an EV within 10 years. My Bronco is likely to be my last ICE vehicle.

wvmtneer

Banned
First Edition
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Most of the outage was caused by non-renewable energy going off-line:

"The wind is not solely to blame," explained Wade Schauer, a research director at energy research consultancy Wood Mackenzie to Bloomberg News. Of the 34 gigawattsgeneration capacity forced offline, Schauer estimates that about 27 gigawatts of coal, nuclear, and gas capacity is unavailable in part because the cold has driven up demand for natural gas for heating. "That's the bigger problem," he told Bloomberg News. The pipeline system is not able to deliver enough natural gas to supply both higher demand for home heating and power generation.

In fact, similar state-wide power outages previously occurred in February 2011 when wind and solar power constituted less than 4 percent of Texas' generation capacity. The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission's report on the 2011 weather event noted that 193 generating units failed, resulting in rolling power outages that affected 3.2 million customers. Most of the outages in 2011 occurred as a result of frozen sensors and valves and natural gas shortages. The same problems with insufficiently winterized equipment appear to be happening now.

But, it sure is easy to blame renewable energy, rather than look at the root cause, right?
Ford Bronco Here’s why you won’t see an electric Bronco 1613525003925

When you ignore that more power was lost to fossil fuel failure than renewables
It’s hard to blame renewables when turbine blades don’t rotate and the sun is hibernating.

Sponsored

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
@wvmtneer

@boxwood is right:

I looked it up:
Fact: 88% of Texas electricity is supplied by natural gas or coal power plants.

Texas is having trouble, mostly because they opted out of the National Grid system.
Good for them (they thought) to bypass Federal regulations.
Bad for them NOW however.

It was their choice to do this, and it has nothing directly to do with frozen wind turbines.

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

stackable washer and dryer- standard issue in the modern condo buildings ...

https://www.pcrichard.com/Whirlpool...acked-Washer-Dryer-Combo-White/WET4027HW.pcrp

we all get dishwashers now, too. Only in old, crappy buildings can you get away with forcing people to do laundromats. The new ones come with personal laundry inside the apartment, and a proper dishwasher.
Fine, people can put washers and dryers in city apartments more than they used to. But laundromats do still exist don't they. Saying people wish they could have their own doesn't change the fact it may not make practical sense in certain situations budgetary or otherwise. I am lazy, how many loads of laundry is it for $1400? If you are single and maybe do laundry very little

Regardless. A washer and dryer is also still far cry from a 40k vehicle used once or twice a month. or no?

boxwood

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EV
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

It’s hard to blame renewables when turbine blades don’t rotate and the sun is hibernating.
I'd love to see data that suggest something contrary to what I and others have posted with regards to renewables not being any major contributing factor to the issue in texas.

You know, something useful, instead of a meme based in an alternate reality. The memes aren't doing much for you cause. whatever cause that may be. Unless it is just to stir things up.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
Fine, people can put washers and dryers in city apartments more than they used to. But laundromats do still exist don't they. Saying people wish they could have their own doesn't change the fact it may not make practical sense in certain situations budgetary or otherwise. I am lazy, how many loads of laundry is it for $1400? If you are single and maybe do laundry very little

Regardless. A washer and dryer is also still far cry from a 40k vehicle used once or twice a month. or no?
+ @MacHudson

Laundry is a significant issue for BOTH landlords and tenants.

You typically need a vent out which means significant (in the several thousands) in install costs if you are upgrading to adding a washer/dryer.

Also Landlords do not want to give up coin laundry revenue AND they don't want to upkeep one of the most broken appliances in EVERY unit.

Tenants want Washer/Dryers, but the issue is much more complex because Landlords want to increase revenue and decrease hassle/costs.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd love to see data that suggest something contrary to what I and others have posted with regards to renewables not being any major contributing factor to the issue in texas.

You know, something useful, instead of a meme based in an alternate reality. The memes aren't doing much for you cause. whatever cause that may be. Unless it is just to stir things up.
+ @wvmtneer

Wind turbines are all over Western Michigan and Northern Indiana. Those states have snow like Texas just got at least 3-4 times per year (including yesterday), every year. So much for that theory.
Sponsored