First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My question then becomes is if you had to "clear up errors" after words. Then could that happen with a pre-programmed one. In other words did Peugeot "get lucky" and not have error codes???
We are talking about 2 different things. The errors I was talking about were caused by programing a WT vin into my 2.3/MT BL in order to get TO the point of programming the rack. Once fixed, there are no errors. I solved most by simply unplugging my PCM and AWD module...the rest didn't seem to care. Essentially all you need is a BodyCM and a rack...the rest of the vehicle can be unplugged...the order of steps matter tho. Soon as the PCM sees that WT vin it freaks the eff out. You could unplug ABS too I spoze, but I didn't. I'm gonna install my next 3.0 rack in my 2nd MT BL. Maybe what I can do is program it on my original one, then install it in the "new" one? I'm pretty sure Mark has already done that tho!
Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

We are talking about 2 different things. The errors I was talking about were caused by programing a WT vin into my 2.3/MT BL in order to get TO the point of programming the rack. Once fixed, there are no errors. I solved most by simply unplugging my PCM and AWD module...the rest didn't seem to care. Essentially all you need is a BodyCM and a rack...the rest of the vehicle can be unplugged...the order of steps matter tho. Soon as the PCM sees that WT vin it freaks the eff out. You could unplug ABS too I spoze, but I didn't. I'm gonna install my next 3.0 rack in my 2nd MT BL. Maybe what I can do is program it on my original one, then install it in the "new" one? I'm pretty sure Mark has already done that tho!

Ah, I see. šŸ˜

Yamapro

Wildtrak
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My question then becomes is if you had to "clear up errors" after words. Then could that happen with a pre-programmed one. In other words did Peugeot "get lucky" and not have error codes???

I have a BaseSquatch 2.7 so I'm "close" I was just asking for future reference. šŸ™ƒ
Then I have gotten lucky several times... LOL. I have programmed serveral different trims, but not one installed in a Badlands (not yet at least). I have not had any issues yet.

That said, YMMV. I do stand by my work though.

Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There should be little shock to the rack, since the tie rod breaks only after it bends first. The tie rod bends far enough to cause a crack in the threads of the inner tie rod next to the jam nut, so pressure is already absorbed by the collapse/bending of the tie rod before it actually breaks. I would be much more concerned about the increased angle of the tie rod pushing against the rack from a lift than I would be about a tie rod breaking. Still, I don't want to deal with a tie rod breaking, so have the sleeves, and when a larger tie rod setup is actually available I'll strongly consider getting it. Mine is not lifted, and has no lift, so at this point I'm not concerned about the rack. After the warranty is up, and there is much more experience available, maybe get the bigger rack.
I think @Bmadda was able to run the hoss 3.0 inner and outer tie rods on his standard rack before finally getting the heavy duty rack installed. I'm considering giving that a try but I'm still getting caught up on this thread.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think @Bmadda was able to run the hoss 3.0 inner and outer tie rods on his standard rack before finally getting the heavy duty rack installed. I'm considering giving that a try but I'm still getting caught up on this thread.
I was able to do exactly that. I did that for our Labor day weekend wheeling trip and it worked just fine. couldn't say whether the 3.0 tie rods are more rigid or less rigid than just adding braces...and not going to speculate. They fit, and are 2mm larger in diameter. It was nearly 2 months later when we finally got software for the Hoss 3.0 rack, and I had them installed the whole time. No other mods to my stock rack, as I was planning to replace it anyway. The original bellows will stretch over them, but to remove I needed to cut them on the small end cause they were so tight...just something to keep in mind. A heat gun or something mighta made it possible to remove the bellows, but I didn't care cause I was installing the other ones w/the 3.0 rack.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was able to do exactly that. I did that for our Labor day weekend wheeling trip and it worked just fine. couldn't say whether the 3.0 tie rods are more rigid or less rigid than just adding braces...and not going to speculate. They fit, and are 2mm larger in diameter. It was nearly 2 months later when we finally got software for the Hoss 3.0 rack, and I had them installed the whole time. No other mods to my stock rack, as I was planning to replace it anyway. The original bellows will stretch over them, but to remove I needed to cut them on the small end cause they were so tight...just something to keep in mind. A heat gun or something mighta made it possible to remove the bellows, but I didn't care cause I was installing the other ones w/the 3.0 rack.
Thanks for the quick reply with the info! I'm still working through the thread, but do you happen to know if Ford is now selling the 3.0 racks with the software programmed or are people still flashing it on their own at home?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks for the quick reply with the info! I'm still working through the thread, but do you happen to know if Ford is now selling the 3.0 racks with the software programmed or are people still flashing it on their own at home?
all Ford racks ship blank AFAIK. I have another one on order which was supposed to come off backorder on the 19th...but we know how that goes. Will update this thread when I get it!

Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

all Ford racks ship blank AFAIK. I have another one on order which was supposed to come off backorder on the 19th...but we know how that goes. Will update this thread when I get it!
Cool, looking forward to seeing how you make out. Thanks!

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Jezz, this is one hell of a deep dive into some serious mechanics; you guys are amazing with what youā€™ve figured out, tested, and gotten to work. To say impressed is an under sell.

I want the beefed up rack for my Badlands, but canā€™t right now. This one or the 74 Weld which looks to be even more promising, but also programming mess show there are still some things to work out.

Iā€™m stock on my Squatch, but the tie rods scare me. I donā€™t want stronger rods due to what happens if that doesnā€™t break, but think I may just order spare inner and outer for my trail tool bag.

This was an educational read and Iā€™m glad I did and referenced the thread for future peek ins.

By the way, did the update happen on 5/19 to make this programming more straightforward?

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jezz, this is one hell of a deep dive into some serious mechanics; you guys are amazing with what youā€™ve figured out, tested, and gotten to work. To say impressed is an under sell.

I want the beefed up rack for my Badlands, but canā€™t right now. This one or the 74 Weld which looks to be even more promising, but also programming mess show there are still some things to work out.

Iā€™m stock on my Squatch, but the tie rods scare me. I donā€™t want stronger rods due to what happens if that doesnā€™t break, but think I may just order spare inner and outer for my trail tool bag.

This was an educational read and Iā€™m glad I did and referenced the thread for future peek ins.

By the way, did the update happen on 5/19 to make this programming more straightforward?
Alot of what we are doing here, and in other threads involving steering upgrades is "future proofing". Not so much about "do I need xyz mod, to do xyz type wheeling on xyz tire size and xyz type trails" more like "what is the next step I could take to upgrade, and where does that get me" type stuff...don't feel pressured to do these mods cause we are doing them...to a certain degree we are doing some of this purely for the knowledge...and trying to bring that knowledge back to the community!

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Recieved my 2nd (3rd actually) rack today! Looks like the embargo is finally over! Not sure when I will get to install, but I will try to make time before that one goes in for the trans (next Tuesday is when they got me down). I also reached out to 74Weld about possibly becoming an installer for thier housings...would be a good job for me I think, just not sure how many I would get. We are a LONG way from Moab and Rubicon, but there are more and more 6gens hitting the streets here, so who knows?

20230530_103548.jpg
Sponsored