Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It makes a low pressure behind every suv type truck when it going down the road ,thats why its always dirty on the back of any chopped of truck,tahoe,4 runner ect aerodynamics of a brick
That low pressure / still air occurs because there is no air moving through the vehicle of the solid brick.

If you flip the rear glass up, and also have your windows open / front panels off, air will be drawn through the vehicle and out the back.

Sure, you have the reality of an open window on the back of your vehicle to contend with, but if your concern was regarding not wanting to open the window all together, I have zero beef with you.

I responded assuming you were one of the crowd here that complains the rear window of the Bronco doesnā€™t open, while ignoring that the rear window of the Bronco does open.

;)
Sponsored

Rebel Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco 7spd Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to miss on my Tundra, the full size power window in the rear. On family road trips it would be no problem for my sons to reach something in a cooler in the bed area at highway speeds.

AK SNO RIDER

First Edition
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350, '04 6.0, '76 High Boy
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to miss on my Tundra, the full size power window in the rear. On family road trips it would be no problem for my sons to reach something in a cooler in the bed area at highway speeds.
Being able to get "a cold beverage" from the bed without stopping certainly is handy.

Not really applicable to an SUV though šŸ˜…

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Huh?

You literally just close the gate with the window still up, then you drive away.

I feel like Iā€™m taking crazy pills.
I would never trust the struts to keep the glass from dropping on the spare and breaking (then having it permanently open with the wiper assembly being all sad with nothing to do.) . Especially as they age and when bouncing around (much more moment force acting on them when open). I suppose if you could mechanically clip a strut so it cannot fall..., however I would rather have it power down and deal with replacing a motor every 80K miles than realistically never having it open while driving unless going to the hassle of stopping, opening tailgate, opening window, clipping, shutting tailgate, and then going. It also limits the carrying of larger/longer items in the back as the swung up window would be in the way of stuff sticking out and up over the tailgate. It might be the worst possible configuration that they could have chosen. Did they let Missy help with the rear window design? I am also going to have to get out my safety glasses to clean the inside of the rear window so I don't get Windex dripping down in my eye.

Short version; window design essentially forces you to squirt Windex in your eyes.

Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would never trust the struts to keep the glass from dropping on the spare and breaking (then having it permanently open with the wiper assembly being all sad with nothing to do.) . Especially as they age and when bouncing around (much more moment force acting on them when open). I suppose if you could mechanically clip a strut so it cannot fall..., however I would rather have it power down and deal with replacing a motor every 80K miles than realistically never having it open while driving unless going to the hassle of stopping, opening tailgate, opening window, clipping, shutting tailgate, and then going. It also limits the carrying of larger/longer items in the back as the swung up window would be in the way of stuff sticking out and up over the tailgate. It might be the worst possible configuration that they could have chosen. Did they let Missy help with the rear window design? I am also going to have to get out my safety glasses to clean the inside of the rear window so I don't get Windex dripping down in my eye.

Short version; window design essentially forces you to squirt Windex in your eyes.
We just differ on this. Which is fine.

Based not only on my personal experience, but also that of all the wrangler owners out there, the problems people here worry about just arenā€™t a reality.

Whenever this thread comes up, posters seem to be divided into two camps. Those who have no experience with the Wrangler and are surmising how terrible the design is, and those with experience with the wrangler who say itā€™s no big deal.

I get that a remote powered slide down window would have been really handy... but honestly, based on what I know and seen, Iā€™m so thankful the Bronco is set up this way instead of the problems associated with a roll down rear window. (Weight, size, water intrusion, etc)

Ford Bronco How does the rear window work? 1613052619461

Last edited:

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

That low pressure / still air occurs because there is no air moving through the vehicle of the solid brick.

If you flip the rear glass up, and also have your windows open / front panels off, air will be drawn through the vehicle and out the back.

Sure, you have the reality of an open window on the back of your vehicle to contend with, but if your concern was regarding not wanting to open the window all together, I have zero beef with you.

I responded assuming you were one of the crowd here that complains the rear window of the Bronco doesnā€™t open, while ignoring that the rear window of the Bronco does open.

;)
Yeah i would love to have the window up,as long as the front ones are open too.
I had a toyota yaris for commuting a while back,you could leave that sucker running forever in a garage and never get sick lol. The 2.3 prob the same .
I was just pointing out a saftey hazard that could happen.šŸ‘

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You also aren't going to leave that window hanging up out there like that when off road. I mean, WTH. so your options are to remove the roof or keep the windows closed? Right now, I can just lower the window into the tail gate, I don't have to worry about it being exposed to tree limbs, or just bouncing around.

TonyWonder

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Nissan Altima
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Why is this thread still going? Just take the top off and be done with it.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My preference is that my tools are adapted to my use and convenience, not the other way around. Obviously the current set-up is acceptable to me, however 'acceptable' does not necessarily mean 'good'. If you are worried about water intrusion and weight from a frame-less rear powered window, I have some sad news about your doors...

Sponsored

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Huh?

You literally just close the gate with the window still up, then you drive away.

I feel like Iā€™m taking crazy pills.
My 84 K5 is missing the rear glass. With top on, it sucks up exhaust while driving. I have rear exit duals though. If i had side exit, i don't think it would be a problem. I smell like a gas can when I'm done.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 84 K5 is missing the rear glass. With top on, it sucks up exhaust while driving. I have rear exit duals though. If i had side exit, i don't think it would be a problem. I smell like a gas can when I'm done.
Are you keeping your front windows closed?

Also, you smell like a gas can because you're driving around in an '84 K5.

;)

abe

Wildtrak
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 F150 XLT 2.7 (sold šŸ˜„), 84 Chevy K5, 09 Chevy T
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Are you keeping your front windows closed?

Also, you smell like a gas can because you're driving around in an '84 K5.

;)
Hahaha, the k5 wasn't my first choice but when the guy says he'll take $1500 for it rather than $4k for the FSB I was also looking at, it's a no brainer.

mjcutri

Heritage
First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco HE
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

...Those who have no experience with the Wrangler and are surmising how terrible the design is, and those with experience with the wrangler who say itā€™s no big deal...
Third camp- those who have experience with both types but prefer the convenience of the roll down window vs the flip up glass.
I have dogs. I liked to roll down the rear window enough that they could get some air, but not far enough that they could jump out (which one actually did to me once when he saw a groundhog on the side of the road.)

the problems associated with a roll down rear window. (Weight, size, water intrusion, etc)
Toyota offers a roll down rear window on the 4runner, sequoia, and tundra. I don't hear about any issues with those vehicles...?
Sponsored