First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC yukon denali
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’m a very amateur (aka no experience, but we all start off somewhere right) off roader and I plan to get into overlanding when I get my bronco. I ordered a 2.3 manual 2dr base and I was wondering if I really missed out on anything because I don’t have the sway bar disconnect and lockers. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of those features and will I need them?
Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

In order of importance to take you off-road
  1. Good running vehicle
  2. Tires
  3. Some version of 4wd or AWD
  4. Low range transfer case
  5. Locking rear axle
  6. Locking front axle
Disconnecting the sway bar is important for additional articulation, which may allow the vehicle to get the traction it needs to keep momentum. It can be done manually, on some vehicles, Jeep Rubicon, and now the Badlands, there is an option for electronic disconnect. Most people will never be in a situation to take advantage of it, does no good in slippery conditions on the road.

also to note; prior to doing any serious off-road exploration learn about the capabilities of your vehicle, know the conditions of the trail, try to go with other vehicles and make sure you have supplies and equipment for self recovery. Lots of YouTube videos with good info.

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Can I drive on road and highway with swaybar disconnected?

Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
sure, as Hopeless stated, however the BL hydraulic one will reconnect if you decided to spin the speedometer over 20 MPH...

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If it's a manual disconnect, from the aftermarket, it's on you, you will sway around corners however. If it's the Badlands SBD with its hydraulic unit, it automatically reconnects at 20 mph.

@kylearmani another benefit to the SBD is it will give you a more comfortable ride over rough roads and trails, it's not just for rock crawling. The reality is, if your just starting out on a budget and cannot afford a higher trim model, don't worry about it, buy it, learn and enjoy, if you get stuck, read about self recovery and low cost gear you do need to buy, such as this link.

Budget recovery tools

Last edited:

xcxv

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
There are many people who permanently remove the sway bar altogether, it’s definitely not “needed.”
That's good to know!

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There are many people who permanently remove the sway bar altogether, it’s definitely not “needed.”
Your insurance company may beg to differ as your driving down the freeway at 70mph

Bituman

Wildtrak
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S-Works Roubaix, Vassago Mooseknuckle, Turner Czar
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Not sure when Ford started putting anti-sway bars on Broncos. They must be somewhat of a modern convenience thing because my 89 had one but my 74 did not. In fact, some of the EB parts houses offer front and rear anti-sway bars for those old rigs although in my experience that is not a very common bolt-on. . https://www.wildhorses4x4.com/category/antiswaybar

Point being, @Corsair is right, anti-sway bar is not absolutely needed as evidenced by all the old rigs that didn’t even have one. But given that most miles are on road, they are highly desirable from a safety and handling standpoint.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I’m a very amateur (aka no experience, but we all start off somewhere right) off roader and I plan to get into overlanding when I get my bronco. I ordered a 2.3 manual 2dr base and I was wondering if I really missed out on anything because I don’t have the sway bar disconnect and lockers. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of those features and will I need them?
At a minimum you want the rear locking differential and the advanced 4x4 transfer case in the Bronco, otherwise, you are buying a mall crawler. The sway bar disconnect is of minor importance, as a 2 door bronco without the SBD can achieve about 90% of the articulation of a 4 door bronco with the SBD. I found the RTI numbers the other day and did the calculations. You will be able to achieve 77% of the max articulation of the 2 door with the SBD.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

At a minimum you want the rear locking differential and the advanced 4x4 transfer case in the Bronco, otherwise, you are buying a mall crawler. The sway bar disconnect is of minor importance, as a 2 door bronco without the SBD can achieve about 90% of the articulation of a 4 door bronco with the SBD. I found the RTI numbers the other day and did the calculations. You will be able to achieve 77% of the max articulation of the 2 door with the SBD.
How inportant is that really to someone new just getting onto overlanding? When your budget is unlimited thats one thing but it is another for someone who just wants a base to learn and thats all they can afford. A come along winch and ground anchor will get them unstuck if needed. Lockers are nice but most will not venture where they are needed nor have the skill level or desire to take that obstacle.

Chances are most will never care or need that much articulation, lets encourage all trim levels to join the Bronco family and have fun, if someone finds they really need and can afford more later, that can be planned for their next trade in.
Sponsored