First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It is the single-most important feature of the Bronco. Without the disconnect, you're just buying a 4Runner with front locker.
Sponsored

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
You will miss the lockers.
Adding a locker to the front differential on my pickup cost $3k but it makes a world of difference on hard trails.
The Sasquatch is really a great deal compared to what I have spent doing upgrades in the aftermarket.

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m a very amateur (aka no experience, but we all start off somewhere right) off roader and I plan to get into overlanding when I get my bronco. I ordered a 2.3 manual 2dr base and I was wondering if I really missed out on anything because I don’t have the sway bar disconnect and lockers. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of those features and will I need them?
Not necessary for your needs. For overlanding you have to consider other things more IMO. Vehicle weight (what can you tow and how much you can store on the roof and in the vehicle). Vehicle space (short trips 2dr, long trips 4dr). Ground clearance (32" or 33" tires).

I think the 4dr BD 2.3 MID is the perfect trim for overlanding. But a 2dr BD 2.3 with the roof rack and rooftop tent would be legit 😂

ssolypop

Badlands
First Name
Solomon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Avenger
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m a very amateur (aka no experience, but we all start off somewhere right) off roader and I plan to get into overlanding when I get my bronco. I ordered a 2.3 manual 2dr base and I was wondering if I really missed out on anything because I don’t have the sway bar disconnect and lockers. Forgive my ignorance, but what is the significance of those features and will I need them?
@rgwinn has a great answer for this. I will say that you didn't really describe how you would be overlanding. For some people, that just means carrying a bunch of camping/survival stuff on dirt roads that may be ungraded, rutted, etc. For others, it involves some serious kind of rock crawling.

If your use leans more toward the former, the swaybar disconnect would just give you a more compliant ride when going fast enough that you aren't dipping into and out of every rut or hole.

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been an off-roader in various Jeeps for 20 years ... from moderate to extreme in several states, including Moab, Colorado, etc. The first and most basic mod for off-roading Jeeps is front swaybar disconnect. IMO it's important if you will off-road of any significant level. But maybe not if you only plan to do mud or the mild stuff.

SillySpider

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Rubicon / 2017 JK Recon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have used sway bar disconnect for rock crawling, but I tend to use it more often on heavily rutted roads -and I use it even when I don't need it for climbing. It makes everything much smoother sailing and helps stabilize the vehicle on off-camber obstacles. Even though I haven't seen examples of a, well... Jeep Wrangler level of articulation from it, it makes up for it -in my case- by making it accessible mid-obstacle. Turning it on or off is a bit of a pain in the butt in the Wrangler, but I still like to use it when I think it improves the circumstances. I think it's a nice icing on the cake, and I had to be sure I got it.

Last edited:

AZshot

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vintage Motorcycles, F-150, various other
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

In 30 years of living in New Mexico, Arizona, and going from Copper Canyon in Mexico to Moab and Colorado, I never knew you COULD disconnect a sway bar (evidently I never needed to either). I think the scale of "off roading" goes from what I experience, to extreme boulder field crawling and glacier exploring. But few people are really doing that, maybe 2%. So only 2% need the disconnect.

I don't know, maybe there were no sway bars to worry about in the old days. They added them for highway speeds that went from 55 MPH to 75.

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yeah, driving in stop and go traffic, or at a stop sign on a hill is not easy with no experience on a manual either. Come to think of it, making a meat loaf is not easy with no experience.
I'm guessing you don't do any of the cooking in your house. :) It's almost impossible to screw up meatloaf. 😄 Maybe if you had said Beef Wellington. :)

Brianstrange

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The sway bar disconnect is a handy gadget, but a manual disconnect will be available. Lockers are a bigger factor on vehicles without traction control. With traction control it will no be so bad, unless you are crawling thru challenging terrain.

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

In 30 years of living in New Mexico, Arizona, and going from Copper Canyon in Mexico to Moab and Colorado, I never knew you COULD disconnect a sway bar (evidently I never needed to either).......
Good point that maybe there were no swaybar on many trucks in the old days. My primary experience has been heavy rock crawling in newer Jeeps (95/97/98) ... e.g., Moab Rim and Pritchett Canyon (Moab), Holy Cross and Iron Chest (Colorado), Poteau Mountain (Oklahoma), Tellico (NC) to name a few. Although lockers and armor are almost mandatory, every mechanical advantage helps to avoid damage. But I'm sure that me and the 4x4 club I was in were in the minority of off-roaders overall.

Last edited:

Thane

Badlands
First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10 FJ Cruiser, 21 JLURXR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If maximum safety is your thing, definitely don't:
Air down tires​
Bomb down dirt roads​
overload with gear​
install unauthorized parts​
drift corners...​
All those things are fun and a massive part of the hobby. Entirely removing the front swaybar is common in IFS rigs, usually combined with a suspension upgrade to mitigate roll. Your autocross times will suffer, but corrugated roads will be much better. 3rd party, less stiff bars are common as well (RockJock Antirock).

Don't let the FunPolice set up your rig, find your own path and crew.

Me, like most åssholes who love oversteer, in 2WD high with rear lockers engaged, throttle steering through a wash trail... nirvana.

CoachMP3

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota Tundra / 2016 Toyota SR5 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you are just starting, first thing I'd do is switch out tires to at least a decent set of AT's probably sized 255/75/17, if also want to change the wheels. If not, then go with 265/75/16 AT's. You can get lots of places with open diffs with 4WD. Just don't go crazy. Don't go out alone either...take a buddy with a vehicle so you can help each other. After tires, I'd look into recovery gear (maybe even before tires) a simple come along and rope and a decent first aid kit and gloves.
Sponsored