Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I made a video that details the process, including the very important step of putting the Bronco in to 'Brake Maintenance Mode' before you start. I hope this post can save others from frustration in the future. If you skip that step you can hurt yourself or cause your Bronco to throw error codes, especially if you have the 2.7L with electric brake boost system.

If you don't want to watch the video, here are some key takeaways:

How to turn on Maintenance Mode:
1) Turn ignition ON
2) Turn parking brake OFF
3) Press and hold down accelerator, and at the same time press and hold DOWN/OFF parking brake. Keep holding until you get to step 5...
4) Turn ignition OFF, pause for a second, and then back ON
5) Turn ignition OFF and release parking brake and accelerator, the screen should now indicate Maintenance Mode
**DO NOT try to drive with this mode on, your brakes won't work well!

How to re-engage normal brake service:
1) Turn ignition ON
2) Press and hold down accelerator, and at the same time pull and hold UP/ON parking brake. Keep holding until you get to step 5...
3) Press and hold down brake pedal for 2 seconds and then release
4) Turn ignition OFF, pause for a second, and then back ON
5) Release parking brake and accelerator, the brake warning lights and check engine lights should go off, you may need to start the engine to clear everything out

Also, torque specs for brake replacement are:
48 Ft-lbs for caliper guide pins
111 Ft-lbs for caliper mounting bracket

Thanks for forum members @Rednek and @philjmatt for the input
@Administrator perhaps consider this for a sticky thread

Let me know if any questions!
Sponsored

TXNavy

Badlands
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Yukon XLT 1500 4x4, Jeep Liberty Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

And my mom saying knowing the Capcom code A, A, B, B, UP, DOWN, UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, START+SELECT would have no use in my adult life...

Last edited:
OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good god... So did they expect everyone to one have their brakes done by a ford dealer?
Feels that way for sure. Including replacement of all the fasteners, I'm guessing replacement of front brake pads at the dealer is probably a $300 job.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do not yet own a Bronco, so bear with me please. Would disconnecting the battery prevent any brake work codes from appearing ,as well as, rendering the electronic emergency brake harmless? If codes are thrown can’t they simply be reset by a scanner? Thanks.

Sponsored

Imissmy1996bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Feels that way for sure. Including replacement of all the fasteners, I'm guessing replacement of front brake pads at the dealer is probably a $300 job.
If it's anything like my f150, probably closer to $400. I had my rear brake pads and rotors done by a dealer and it was almost a grand (a fact which they decided to leave out until I was there to pick up my truck and pay)

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Do not yet own a Bronco, so bear with me please. Would disconnecting the battery prevent any brake work codes from appearing ,as well as, rendering the electronic emergency brake harmless? If codes are thrown can’t they simply be reset by a scanner? Thanks.
Disconnecting the battery 'might' work, and those codes 'probably' can be reset with a good scanner. But in my opinion, why risk it? Using maintenance mode is easy, and we know for certain it works.

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If it's anything like my f150, probably closer to $400. I had my rear brake pads and rotors done by a dealer and it was almost a grand (a fact which they decided to leave out until I was there to pick up my truck and pay)
I think replacing brakes on your own is the #1 best way to save money on vehicle maintenance. Waaay more than oil changes, by the time you buy the oil and also dispose of the used oil (which is pretty expensive here in PA) you only save maybe $10-20. But brakes you can easily save hundreds.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think replacing brakes on your own is the #1 best way to save money on vehicle maintenance. Waaay more than oil changes, by the time you buy the oil and also dispose of the used oil (which is pretty expensive here in PA) you only save maybe $10-20. But brakes you can easily save hundreds.
Fortunately, the county where I reside takes used oil for free. I can get a great deal on oil Motorcraft synthetic blend and filters at Walmart. I have a nicely set up garage soil changes are cheap. My family members take advantage of this lol. Brakes as well.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Learning to do my own brake job was one of the first things I ever learned how to repair on a car. I was 16 And when they told me what it would cost to have my brakes done (per axle mind you) I was like F that... How hard can it be? The trick was to never take apart both sides at the same time (this was before digital cameras)

Been doing my own breaks ever since.. But it sounds like Ford is trying to change that.

Sponsored

Hopeless Diamond

Badlands
First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350/2dr Rubicon/'96 4R/'75 Intl D150/'22 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This mode probably releases the electric parking brake actuator so you can actually change the rear pads. Maybe even retracts all the calipers, or at least relieves the pressure on the electric brake booster so you don't have to fight the calipers.

GT500

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Doing my own oil changes gives me a chance to touch up the inevitable rust spots and keep the e-brake clean, and other things that might show up. Plus I know what oil is actually going into the engine, I have trust issues.

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Was this just a how-to or did you actually need to service/upgrade them? I thought you might be upgrading while you were in there but looks like stock parts went back on.

lrtexasman

Black Diamond
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 BL traded for 23 Tundra waiting on BD Order
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This mode probably releases the electric parking brake actuator so you can actually change the rear pads. Maybe even retracts all the calipers, or at least relieves the pressure on the electric brake booster so you don't have to fight the calipers.
i hope so. Always hate using old brake pad and c clamp to retract pistons. Just feels strange, lol

OP
OP
BudgetBronco

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You are definitely correct on the parking brake, you can hear them disengaging/engaging when maintenance mode is turned on/off. The calipers part, not sure, but more likely just relieves pressure and turns off leak detection so that you can manually compress the calipers without issue.
Sponsored