William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 RAM Sport Quad Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I guess I am just not understanding electric vehicles in this environment (off roading). You break down or run out of battery your done. Sitting in the woods, just you and the squirrels.

In complete agreement here. Seems common sense, but people love to overpay for techy trash...
Who in their right mind wants a dead battery, 80k, tin can at 2am in East Podunk on Bear Maul Trail?
Sponsored

Last edited:

JMV123

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford F350/2015 Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That new Hummer will start around $110,000. That is insane and I could buy my own oil field for that kind of price.

BroncoTodd

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model X 100D
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If Broncos hold their values as much as Jeeps do, I would just get your ICE Bronco now, and then get in line for the hybrid to come out in a few years. Sell off the 2021 Bronco and trade up when you are ready. You'll get good use out of your ride for now and still end up with the one you want, and not have to take that much hit on depreciation.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Dlerojo

Badlands
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outback
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ICE vehicles arent going anywhere.

Both have pros and cons. You have to determine what fits best into your lifestyle.

Sponsored

Broncocito

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD PRO Manual
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
While Ford has a joint partnership with VW on several projects, I have not seen an announcement or any details on a rebadged Bronco. The above rendering is from an illustrator that works for the magazine. Can you provide your other sources so we can investigate further?

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/volkswagen/id-ruggedzz/
I will have to search it up. I saw it in some EV website; unfortunately I do not remember which one.

You are right about Ford and VW ventures like on their Ford Ranger or Atlas based pickup.

Last edited:

Velociraptor

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Lexus RX450h, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Right and probably not the best comparison. General production EVs do work well and have a growing infrastructure here to support them. I do find it hilarious that so many are afraid of them. LIke I said, I have had one for 10 years and it's still a daily driver. Yes its a Chevy Volt that has a backup engine (i.e.like a generator that recharges the battery) but we only use that on long distance trips. To be honest, the Volt should have been the one vehicle that took off since it basically combined an electrical car with a hybrid vehicle, so you have the best of both technologies (electric and gas). Sadly, many people didn't understand that and GM did a horrible job at marketing it.
Oh I totally agree that electric vehicles are great if the infrastructure is there, and for most driving on paved roads in many countries including the USA it works great. After the Bronco our next car will be electric. I am actually pretty excited about that. I guess my point was that electric vehicles are not ideal for long challenging trips off road with no charging available. So I am fine with the Bronco being a gas engine. If I was just driving the Bronco around on paved roads then electric would work fine.

Stimpy

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Tesla CyberTruck... Man that thing is bi-polar. It has the analytical side of my brain saying “from a structural engineering and manufacturing efficiency perspective, that thing is genius!” And it has the other half of my brain saying “...not sure if it’s ugly or stupid or just really ugly.” The other reality of the design is Tesla designed a truck to drive on Mars, that could be robotically manufactured on Mars. Yes, really. And how better to make it feasible to do so? Mass produce them here on earth and sell them to everyone.
I have a Tesla MS and I love it as a commuter/daily driver. I had an F-150 FX4 that I planned on keeping for some camping\light towing, but decided to sell and wait for an upgrade (this worked out really well as I sold it just as the market was tanking and made a ton when it rebounded). I initially was sold on the Cybertruck, but after a year driving an EV the practicality of taking it out into the wilderness seems less appealing to me. I do have a reservation on a CT, but I'm likely getting a Bronco which is probably a better all around vehicle for what I need right now.

I've been up and down the East Coast and there aren't any Super Chargers set up for tow vehicles. I occasionally find a stall in the corner of a parking lot that I can pull forward into, but that's pretty rare. I don't plan on towing anything heavy, so the Bronco will mostly suite my needs and be much easier to refuel. Charging on road trips has never been a problem, but I'm not looking to unhitch a trailer to charge.

The other thing is that there is a lot of pretty amazing engineering that goes into stretching the range of these EVs and all that pretty much goes out the window when you're pulling a trailer. The Tri-motor CT would probably be fine with the larger battery, but I'm hesitant to take a trailer up the coast if I'm going to be stopping every 150 miles.

All that being said, if you are looking for a DD\off road vehicle and don't plan on towing anything, then an EV Bronco would be great. However, I'm used to the EV performance of late model Tesla, so I'm not interested in what Ford or GM currently has in the works as they don't match up. That might change in a few years and at that time I might be interested in a Bronco EV, but for now an ICE off-road vehicle where I'm at and I'm not interested in waiting for something that may never exist.

EVs are amazing tech; I just looked today and over the last year I used about 2000 KWh driving and my roof solar system produced about 10000 KWh. It's nice to know that my car was 100% powered/offset by solar energy. As awesome as that is, I'm still planning on getting a gas powered Bronco and I'm going to be happy to get off the grid with as little tech as possible.

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I guess I am just not understanding electric vehicles in this environment (off roading). You break down or run out of battery your done. Sitting in the woods, just you and the squirrels. Yes, that can happen with a gas but someone could happen by with fuel or maybe the repair you need to make can be done yourself in the field and limp it home. I live in northern California and projects involving EVs come through my office (Civil Eng for the State Gov.) that are in my area. We just now finished installing chargers in our rest areas in rural California to get people from Oregon to Sacramento. If its a mall crawling 4x4 in the city then fine, it will be great. Or maybe in an OHV park with a lot of people around and charging stations in the parking lot. Up where I live where most 4x4 work can be done there is nothing and no one to help.

What’s wrong with squirrels?

Ford Bronco I love ford 2C76EB28-D12F-4875-94BB-6488CC92FF32

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What’s wrong with squirrels?

2C76EB28-D12F-4875-94BB-6488CC92FF32.gif
Did you realize one of those suckers can run up your leg and chew off half your ear before you could do anything about it? Then you have that story to tell the rest of your life.:p

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you realize one of those suckers can run up your leg and chew off half your ear before you could do anything about it? Then you have that story to tell the rest of your life.:p
Damn tree rats.....

BroncoBuckaroo

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017GT350-SOLD, 2013 Ford Edge, 1969 Torino Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love bronco 6g

How can you delete a thread lol!
Plug in Electric...no thanks..even Japan isn't going that route..they are going full blown hydrogen..setting up stations throughout the country. I don't have the discipline to charge for a night or even 45 min at supercharger. Where the hell do these electric Folks get there extra time from?

If it takes longer than 5 min to fuel up I'm out.

In addition, plug in electric will only increase home utility rates, which by the way the vast vast majority of plants are fossil fuels. But hey if you are ok with child labor digging out rare earth elements in Africa for these batteries..more power to ya..no pun intended.

Plug in electric cars are almost to 1% of the vehicles in the USA ...it would take a charging area equal to an average Walmart super center to fuel the same amount of electric cars a 10 pump gas station can.

The technology is not there yet, and I like the internal combustion engine..they sound so good

Panzer948

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1981 CJ5, 2015 BMW M4, 2019 Jeep G.C. Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Plug in Electric...no thanks..even Japan isn't going that route..they are going full blown hydrogen..setting up stations throughout the country. I don't have the discipline to charge for a night or even 45 min at supercharger. Where the hell do these electric Folks get there extra time from?

If it takes longer than 5 min to fuel up I'm out.

In addition, plug in electric will only increase home utility rates, which by the way the vast vast majority of plants are fossil fuels. But hey if you are ok with child labor digging out rare earth elements in Africa for these batteries..more power to ya..no pun intended.

Plug in electric cars are almost to 1% of the vehicles in the USA ...it would take a charging area equal to an average Walmart super center to fuel the same amount of electric cars a 10 pump gas station can.

The technology is not there yet, and I like the internal combustion engine..they sound so good
Actually the technology is there you just chose not to use it. But hey, that's why we live in a free country. But really, it is not any more of a pain to charge an EV as it is going to a gas station. Actually a lot lot less of a pain as a daily driver. Here me out. We have had Chevy Volt for 10 years and use it as a DD on electric (wife is a nurse and drives it to work). The distance between our home and her work is well within the RT range of the battery. Each night when she gets home it's got maybe a third of the range left. The charge cord is mounted beside where we park it and it literally takes her an extra few seconds to pick it up and plug it in as she leaves the vehicle. It really becomes second nature. She does that instead of going to the gas station once a week and pump gas for 5 or so minutes and dealing with those aggravating prepay pumps. Seems pretty painless to spend a few secs at home each day to recharge it.

Now you may ask, hmm well I wouldn't want that as my only car. Well yes and no. I do have 3 other ICE cars that I love but if I had to pick one EV it would be the Volt due to the fact it is two cars in one; EV first and a hybrid second. Thus if the battery was fully depleted it switches to its ICE (generator) mode and operates similar to the Prius. You can blame GM for failing to market the vehicle as such. Sure it doesn't have the range of a Tesla but I can drive halfway across the country and back and never stop at a charging station. Which I have done twice in this vehicle. So best of both worlds.

Believe me, I never bought into electric cars being that much better for the environment (science says they are somewhat but energy isn't fully free no matter the source). It has always been more about the tech to me. These vehicles will become the future out necessity as sources for petroleum get less economical over time. It's a good thing we have this technology and the early adopters that are using it so the rest of the masses will be ready when it is truly needed.

Last edited:

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Plug in hybrid Bronco I might go for, all electric for an off road vehicle; no. Theres a recent test of the Rivian truck off road, I guess it did good, but there was a shipping container sized back up thing to keep it charged up. IIRC the off road range of the truck was around 120 miles. Sorry if that was already noted on this forum.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I love bronco 6g

How can you delete a thread lol!
Anyone else imagine this when reading the title and opening line?
Ford Bronco I love ford ce95bef30f0fe1b77135991cac5dfb3c402688c5d18f0cfa90d467ab901ca9c2
Sponsored