Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Audi Allroad, Lowered on KW Coilovers
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I rented a Gladiator this week for work. Figured it would be fun to drive and an opportunity to compare it to my Bronco after 3 months of ownership and 4,500 miles.

This isn't meant to trigger the Jeep folks, because the Jeep brand deserves a ton of credit for continuously offering the Wrangler and its variants as an interesting alternative to boring vehicles for decades.

With that said, I'm not joking when I say I would have returned this thing and grabbed a different vehicle if I had the time. The driving characteristics of a Gladiator vs. a Bronco are literally night and day, and being in the Gladiator gave me a whole new level of appreciation for the Bronco's road manners.

Gladiator steering at 75MPH is like giving vague suggestions as to what direction the truck should go. As a driver who represents the majority of buyers (someone who uses the vehicle as a daily driver and goes off road occasionally), I can confidently say I would have sold a Gladiator almost immediately. I'm glad they exist and think they look great, just surprised at the wildly unrefined on-road characteristics!

Ford Bronco I Rented a Gladiator...My thoughts vs Bronco IMG_20230216_092137
Sponsored

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

My mom has a Gladiator with the upgraded Fox suspension and 37” tires.

I agree fully with your post.

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You're spot on with the driving at highway speed diagnosis. My wife has 21 Wrangler Sahara and I absolutely hate driving it on the highway. It makes me sad because I'd love to replace my work truck in a couple years with a Gladiator, but I don't think I could stand it on a daily basis.

dan79

Big Bend
First Name
dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 f250
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know I am not the only one(even if its a small group) that would love to see a bronco with a bed seeing how many gladiators I see out. I am still hoping for bronco with a bed one day

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My mom has a Gladiator with the upgraded Fox suspension and 37” tires.

I agree fully with your post.
I smile at the image of a boomer mom riding on Trail Grappler 37s and with the stick figure family on the back window.

Sponsored

Blackcat

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 FORD BRONCO BASE 2 DOOR M/T
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I know I am not the only one(even if its a small group) that would love to see a bronco with a bed seeing how many gladiators I see out. I am still hoping for bronco with a bed one day
I'd absolutely love that as well, fingers crossed it happens some day....

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I rented a Gladiator this week for work. Figured it would be fun to drive and an opportunity to compare it to my Bronco after 3 months of ownership and 4,500 miles.

This isn't meant to trigger the Jeep folks, because the Jeep brand deserves a ton of credit for continuously offering the Wrangler and its variants as an interesting alternative to boring vehicles for decades.

With that said, I'm not joking when I say I would have returned this thing and grabbed a different vehicle if I had the time. The driving characteristics of a Gladiator vs. a Bronco are literally night and day, and being in the Gladiator gave me a whole new level of appreciation for the Bronco's road manners.

Gladiator steering at 75MPH is like giving vague suggestions as to what direction the truck should go. As a driver who represents the majority of buyers (someone who uses the vehicle as a daily driver and goes off road occasionally), I can confidently say I would have sold a Gladiator almost immediately. I'm glad they exist and think they look great, just surprised at the wildly unrefined on-road characteristics!

Ford Bronco I Rented a Gladiator...My thoughts vs Bronco IMG_20230216_092137
I haven't driven the Gladiator, but was a passenger in and drove a friend's JKU 4-door Rubicon from Chicago to Chattanooga and back. 85mph some stretches. It was no car in terms of pavement quality, but it was not a handful to drive either.

Bronco should be better with IFS, but it's still a hopped up ladder frame vehicle, with relatively high unsprung weight and squirmy tire diameter. That's not the ticket to pavement performance either. When I test drove the Bronco on pavement, it was ok, but nothing to write home about.

T Copp

Raptor
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mercedes GLB
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I smile at the image of a boomer mom riding on Trail Grappler 37s and with the stick figure family on the back window.
Haha, she’s 57.

She has done all the typical Wrangler appearance mods, against my judgement. :LOL:

Sponsored

Tacoman

Raptor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Code Orange Braptor, 2022 Black Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I haven't driven the Gladiator, but was a passenger in and drove a friend's JKU 4-door Rubicon from Chicago to Chattanooga and back. 85mph some stretches. It was no car in terms of pavement quality, but it was not a handful to drive either.

Bronco should be better with IFS, but it's still a hopped up ladder frame vehicle, with relatively high unsprung weight and squirmy tire diameter. That's not the ticket to pavement performance either. When I test drove the Bronco on pavement, it was ok, but nothing to write home about.
I agree! I've had a Gladiator and am on my 7th Wrangler! I have no issues with the drive in either the Gladiator or the Wranglers....guess I am used to it.

Haelous

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, 2023 Bronco Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I've driven a Wrangler and Bronco back to back. It is night and day in terms of handling/suspension.

The 2.0T Wrangler and 2.3T Bronco feel the same in terms of straight line performance.

Bronco is like driving a car compared to the Wrangler. I agree with them wandering at higher speeds, it's very obvious on the highway.

It's a shame because the Wrangler is really cool. It just feels like it was built for off-road first while on-road use was a total after thought.

The vast majority I see are just daily drivers that never see dirt. I know multiple women over 50 with them at work, they are very popular. @T Copp 's mom isn't an outlier.

Inlinejohn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

E50D0173-0E73-4608-9EA6-3E015E633AFE.jpeg

20F04750-02FD-474D-8E5F-63A6555EFB06.jpeg

2D73626F-3F01-462E-B103-477BE9FA2D9C.jpeg

Dral97

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Wrangler YJ and 392, BMW 4 series
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have a 392 and it drives pretty well both around town and on the highway. However, I also drive around a 95 YJ (including on the highway), so my idea of good road manners is skewed.

I definitely would pick my Bronco for daily driver, and in fact that's what I do. The interior doesn't seem as cramped on the Bronco as well.

Nothing beats that fun factor of a 392, but Bronco is definitely more refined both in interior and road handling.
Sponsored