First Name
Orlando
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Oh! I ordered a JTops one, let me check to ensure I got the hard top version! Thank you for the info!
Sponsored

TheShark

Wildtrak
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 4DR Wildtrak, 2023 Maverick XLT FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Extremely happy with my JTops.

kpecks

Wildtrak
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White 2023 Wildtrak 4dr Lux
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Anyone have a Jtops 4dr hardtop they are looking to sell??

Palmermc

First Edition
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.markpalmer-design.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The Velcro on my JTop has peeled twice. The replacement kit I received was just a couple feet of Velcro (not a full length - so I had to section it in - disappointing), and some promoter. I also followed the directions.

The JTop also caused a visible gap between the hard top seals and roll cage sealing surface to open up, resulting in a ton of wind noise as well as causing my roof panels to sit unevenly at the B pillar. This is because the material thickness of the plastic parts sewn onto the top where it sits under the hard top brackets raises the hard top mounting brackets by several MM. I was told by JTop that very few people have this issue with sealing, but it’s clearly a design flaw (simple math - if you raise the roof mount brackets by X dimension you raise the roof and seals by X and lose X amount of seal compression). I was pointed to the service bulletin for adjusting the mounts at the frontmost edge of the roof panels but my issue was related to the fit at the rear of the panels where the mounting bracket is. I took the sewn-on plastic parts off the mesh top (I cut the stitches out using an exacto and in the process I discovered that it’s surprisingly brittle plastic material- it super easy to snap into pieces as shown in the video - these should have been manufactured out of a more ductile plastic like polyethylene or polypropylene sheet, but they seem to be more like an acrylic) leaving just the mesh material under the support brackets and this helped. I also added some 1/8” thick neoprene tape along the length of the mating surface on the roll cage and this helped close the minimal gap that was left. I’ve spent a ton of time fussing with my Jtop to get it to work right.

Based on my experience, I feel this product should have spent a few more months in development.

I also had the velcro peel on mine, and I also followed the instructions per the video. The spot it peeled for me is at the very rear where it follows the curve of the sport bar (this is on 2 door), I wasn't able to get good adhesion due to the bend. If I were to do it again (which I will at some point) I would cut the strip instead of trying to bend it to follow that curve. Overall great product that I'm really happy with, but just an FYI
4AD91390-7A68-4D19-8270-136A405F07C4.jpeg

360E0EB2-1068-4DBB-B50E-E5632583D500.jpeg

2F7D0CC4-63DD-40CF-BFF7-EA67C2A618AD.jpeg

BA2523C5-B8E7-4BAF-A3FB-6404E38B8E30.jpeg

F299C355-BA40-438C-B991-2733FC90C504.jpeg

Last edited:

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
@JTopsUSA - I just purchased the most recent Hard Top version. I know you mentioned there being improvements along the way. Did any of them address the concerns that @Palmermc shared?

Edit: I ran your V1 soft top and was extremely happy with it. I have it great praise whenever anyone asked. Just hoping to have a similar experience.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

Badlands
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Velcro on my JTop has peeled twice. The replacement kit I received was just a couple feet of Velcro (not a full length - so I had to section it in - disappointing), and some promoter. I also followed the directions.

The JTop also caused a visible gap between the hard top seals and roll cage sealing surface to open up, resulting in a ton of wind noise as well as causing my roof panels to sit unevenly at the B pillar. This is because the material thickness of the plastic parts sewn onto the top where it sits under the hard top brackets raises the hard top mounting brackets by several MM. I was told by JTop that very few people have this issue with sealing, but it’s clearly a design flaw (simple math - if you raise the roof mount brackets by X dimension you raise the roof and seals by X and lose X amount of seal compression). I was pointed to the service bulletin for adjusting the mounts at the frontmost edge of the roof panels but my issue was related to the fit at the rear of the panels where the mounting bracket is. I took the sewn-on plastic parts off the mesh top (I cut the stitches out using an exacto and in the process I discovered that it’s surprisingly brittle plastic material- it super easy to snap into pieces as shown in the video - these should have been manufactured out of a more ductile plastic like polyethylene or polypropylene sheet, but they seem to be more like an acrylic) leaving just the mesh material under the support brackets and this helped. I also added some 1/8” thick neoprene tape along the length of the mating surface on the roll cage and this helped close the minimal gap that was left. I’ve spent a ton of time fussing with my Jtop to get it to work right.

Based on my experience, I feel this product should have spent a few more months in development.

Ford Bronco IAG or JTop sun shade? F299C355-BA40-438C-B991-2733FC90C504

Thanks for the feedback. Let’s review.

The replacement kit includes 12 feet of hook and loop and 2 packs of adhesion promotor, 2 alcohol wipes and a bottle of Goof Off for surface cleaning. That is what’s needed for a good install.

Peeling at the loop side on the edges can happen and should be trimmed. We use a full length of hook and loop that provides a full length seamless attachment unlike the bungee attached tops that has mounting points that stretch and leave gaps.

As far as the creating a gap it has happened a few times out of the hundreds of the hardtop versions we have shipped. A simple adjustment to the side mounts should address this.

As far as it being a design flaw Ford has put out a bulletin about adjusting them. It is happening to Broncos straight from the factory without our top being installed.

The nylon plate material used was best suited to be sewn into the top.
We experimented with several options and felt it was best. We have not had a single issue of it cracking unless it’s put through a process it’s not intended to perform.

I'm sorry you had issues. We will take your feedback seriously as we continue to evaluate the design and selected materials as they perform over time. We have now shipped over 1,500 shades so we are getting a lot of great feedback.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Mike Matras
Owner
JTops

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’m going on top down season two with my Gearshade, which stays fitted under my soft top. No issues so far and love it for the price. JTop looks awesome as well but it wasn’t available when I purchased my Bimini.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I have the JTop and the only issue is the Velcro can peel some near the D pillars, nothing major and can easily be fixed/replaced. The top is very well made and does great on the highway until about 85 mph, then the front plastic piece that allows for the top to be latched will flip up (described on their website) The shade is a lifesaver in the Florida sun. I had the Gearshade before I got my bronco but sold it and purchased the JTops because of superior build quality/look and being able to customize the top

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the JTop and the only issue is the Velcro can peel some near the D pillars, nothing major and can easily be fixed/replaced. The top is very well made and does great on the highway until about 85 mph, then the front plastic piece that allows for the top to be latched will flip up (described on their website) The shade is a lifesaver in the Florida sun. I had the Gearshade before I got my bronco but sold it and purchased the JTops because of superior build quality/look and being able to customize the top
Dmorty217, thanks for the post.

We did make a change to the front edge. The hooks are now on top forcing the front edge down the faster you go. The aerodynamics changed significantly and eliminated any potential flipping up at speed.
As always we will continue to evaluate any changes that can improve on the design.
Thanks again…
Mike

Ford Bronco IAG or JTop sun shade? 948B9659-4F64-4943-B024-63535C6EC37F
Ford Bronco IAG or JTop sun shade? 50336FFB-6687-46E2-8724-7F343CDDB870
Ford Bronco IAG or JTop sun shade? 312D7545-9E25-46F8-A074-9E7CCCE41557

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Dmorty217, thanks for the post.

We did make a change to the front edge. The hooks are now on top forcing the front edge down the faster you go. The aerodynamics changed significantly and eliminated any potential flipping up at speed.
As always we will continue to evaluate any changes that can improve on the design.
Thanks again…
Mike

That solves the only issue that was only somewhat annoying about it! That was my only complaint

Sponsored

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That solves the only issue that was only somewhat annoying about it! That was my only complaint
We would love any other suggestions. Everything helps us be a better company, build better products and be more responsive to customers.
Mike

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We would love any other suggestions. Everything helps us be a better company, build better products and be more responsive to customers.
Mike

How about military emblems on them?
Mike
USN Ret

JTopsUSA

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.broncosunshades.com
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 diesel,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How about military emblems on them?
Mike
USN Ret
We can print any military emblems as long as the customer is current or retired military. You have the right to use as long as you served.
It is however illegal for us to just print it for anyone.

Ford Bronco IAG or JTop sun shade? 91E11EEB-3006-42F3-93D3-843421552AB4
Ford Bronco IAG or JTop sun shade? 02800F20-524F-458B-8066-A9AA08E006E0

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

We can print any military emblems as long as the customer is current or retired military. You have the right to use as long as you served.
It is however illegal for us to just print it for anyone.

91E11EEB-3006-42F3-93D3-843421552AB4.jpeg
02800F20-524F-458B-8066-A9AA08E006E0.jpeg
Thanks just sent you a DM.

I am looking at the Airborne Bronco, and it looks like there is a bag over the soft top. Do you make those as well.

30snack

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

I had zero of the issues you mentioned and have had the hardtop on/off multiple times.
Sponsored