alexg823

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco OBX Cyber Orange
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Trying to figure which is better... Had the bestop but returned it after seeing some pics of it looking kinda rough and wrinkly along with the support bar which takes away from the open feeling of having the top down.

Any feedback on which is the better option?
Sponsored

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good question. I just ordered a J top because I liked the absence of bungee cords. But if the gearshade does the job for $100 less I can always be convinced.

tgoodchild17

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Explorer, 15 XC60, 18 GTI, 87 325i
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have been debating which one as well. I was going to go with the Gear Shade (over the Bespoke) but after seeing the top from j Tops I think I am going to order that one. I like that there is no gap at the front compared to the others

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been trying to decide for myself as well.

I'm leaning towards the JTop. I like the covered edges of the roll bar and the no bungie setup. I just wish it had a pocket in the front corner or something.

Bearcat1

Black Diamond
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition Limited, 2006 BMW 330i
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have the Gearshade. I have not been able to get it tight enough to work well at highway speeds.
Anything above 55 and it flaps quite a bit. The back where it clips to rear roll bar makes a flapping noise. Gearshade sent me some new metal clips for the rear straps, have not tried those yet. The original came with plastic rear clips that bowed and wouldn't hold after I tried to furthen tighten it down. If I had not already purchased the Gearshade, I think I would opt for the Jtop based on how it fastens to the roll bar and the sides. The Gearshade is very quick to put on/take off, so there is a tradeoff tho.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Jtop is supposed to ship this week. As others mentioned the Jtop has full coverage at the front and the fit/install is very clean compared to the other brands w/ bungees IMO. Also, the Jtop does not have to be removed to reinstall your factory top...not sure if this is true for the Gearshade.

GloNDark

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 Bronco Ranger & 2021 Bronco First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I had a Gearshade and sold it. I didn't like the gap at the front by the windshield and any speed over 55 to 60 it turned into the Flapomatic 5000 and drove me absolutely crazy. I actually pulled over and took it off for the last time on a 2 hour trip. :ROFLMAO:

I have a JTop on order. I have a neighbor who has one on his Jeep and if the Bronco fits anywhere near as good as that i'll be stoked. Fits well, it's quiet on the highway, and has good light filter/shade.

Bradley Thornton

Badlands
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sequoia TRD sport, 2021 Badlands Sas, 93 Cobra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I have the Gearshade. This isn't my first mesh top. So for me the flapping is just part of it I have no idea why people complain about that. I looked at the Jtop and in my opinion would go with the Gearshade. Why is simple the point is to have shade but still have the open feel to it you get that with a top with holes in it and a bunch of bungees. Just looking at the Jtop make me feel like that open feel is gone. Look if I had never had a jeep or a SXS with a mesh top I would be on the Jtop train but after having a regular mesh top I know what I'm giving up.

BreezyNVegas

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

JTopsUSA
Great news your order has just been shipped!

I'll let you know about the JTop soon. Should be here today.

Sponsored

VVSidewinderVv

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GMC Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Jtop is supposed to ship this week. As others mentioned the Jtop has full coverage at the front and the fit/install is very clean compared to the other brands w/ bungees IMO. Also, the Jtop does not have to be removed to reinstall your factory top...not sure if this is true for the Gearshade.
I believe it's true for both. I was looking at the gearshade before. I picked the jtop because it looks like a more robust design with a tighter fit and while I can't attest to Gearshade's customer service, I can say that Mike, the owner of Jtops, was extremely responsive to my questions and even had a phone call with me after hours. Great CS is a win in my book.

BroncoT

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I bought a Gearshade months ago (literally) the day after I was scheduled for a 3/26 build. Of course, my Bronco is still nowhere to be found and since then I’ve come to regret the image I had painted. Wish I’d waited for some of the better designs to emerge. So I might replace it before even getting my Bronco, assuming it ever arrives (the Bronco, not the shade).

I prefer the look of JTop but envision taking off the top at night very often. It is warm enough at night in North Carolina for months to drive around topless. I don’t want to give that up.

my plan is to keep the Gearshade through the summer at least before making a call. I’m similarly interested in changing to the Bestop which would require a change anyway.

nbdybeatsthewiz

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can't speak to the alternatives but I have a gear shade and its great. I've hit 80 on the highway, and sure it flaps around a little, but no problems whatsoever

cricex

Badlands
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7L CG Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Save your cash and wear a hat. 🤷‍♂️
Bimini does a great job keeping the rest of the car from being cooked with the top down, especially when it is parked in the hot Texas sun.
Sponsored