First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
please let me know. I used the dana spec sheet for rebuilding an m220 rear axle on a jeep JL.

It looks like ill be redoing this install. I used the information on dana's website and referenced the ford shop manual to find a happy medium, but after more research, id feel better replacing the gasket with a fresh one instead of reusing it.
Waaaay too high on the torque...14.75 ft lbs and an additional 25 degrees is what ours calls for. I imagine yours would be fine to reuse, but if you torqued it as high as that Dana spec sheet indicates then there is a chance it was compromised. Install diagrams posted above.
Sponsored

NatureBoy

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Base Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Thank you for sharing this. There a probably a lot more jeep parts and accessories that can be used on the Bronco. God knows they would be cheaper.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I noticed AEV is also selling a diff cover for the Bronco. I'm not so much interested in their diff cover but I do love their bumpers that they make for the Jeep Wrangler. Would love to see them venture more into Bronco territory.

bronco-rear-differential-cover-31.jpg

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
A how-to turned into a re-do, lots of good info but remind me to never put myself out there, the B6G brain trust will have me second guessing myself 😬

Arokcrwlr

Wildtrak
First Name
Kraig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F150, 2014 Focus, 1973 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If it's not leaking, I wouldn't re-do unless it starts to, but that's just me.

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A how-to turned into a re-do, lots of good info but remind me to never put myself out there, the B6G brain trust will have me second guessing myself 😬
Yup, share anything around here and there's 99 net nannies to tell you everything you did wrong!

710-oil-614

Big Bend
First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Maverick Tremor, 2010 Toyota Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
The advantage for me is strength against a rock strike. The cover is made from cast iron, so instead of getting a dent or torn open on a rock like the OEM stamped metal cover, it will get a scratch and be less likely to leak due to the rigid nature of the cast iron. we are planning a trip to Moab, UT in July from CT so ultimately it's about getting us home so I can inspect it versus being stranded on the side of a trail 2,000 miles from home. I planned on making a skid plate under the differential in the coming months for added peace of mind.
That is the rear of the differential no? You would have to be driving in reverse to cause a rock strike against the differential cover.

Or you would have to be high centered where the rock caught the front of your differential, then the bottom, and the weight of the bronco was on the rear diff as you drug the bronco across it and finally onto the rear cover for the differential.

It's definitely a better cover but the protection you gain from it is extremely marginal unless you've taken an awful line and powering through it regardless of the damage you're causing to the vehicle already.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That is the rear of the differential no? You would have to be driving in reverse to cause a rock strike against the differential cover.

Or you would have to be high centered where the rock caught the front of your differential, then the bottom, and the weight of the bronco was on the rear diff as you drug the bronco across it and finally onto the rear cover for the differential.

It's definitely a better cover but the protection you gain from it is extremely marginal unless you've taken an awful line and powering through it regardless of the damage you're causing to the vehicle already.
That...so I went with this...

https://www.foutzmotorsports.com/pr...ential-skid-plate?_pos=2&_sid=054fd66d8&_ss=r

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Howdy, what’s the advantage of this compared to stock besides the cool sticker?
The real Advantage here is how the new cover ads a lot of stiffness to the cast iron diff housing. The original housing is very thin and is known to flex under heavy loads or acceleration. The new Stronger ribbed covers do add quite a bit of rigidity to the differential itself and keep the ring and pinion from distorting under load. In my opinion this is why Jeep use this on the powerful Gladiator.

Sponsored

james1414d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yugo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Thank you for sharing this. There a probably a lot more jeep parts and accessories that can be used on the Bronco. God knows they would be cheaper.
To your point, I used Mopar 75-85 synthetic. It was half the price of the Motorcraft fluid on Amazon.

ITLRUN

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
After much research, I found a cheaper alternative to the ford performance M220 diff cover. The rear Dana 44 installed in our broncos is nearly identical to the rear axle used in the Wrangler JL Jeep.

At $140.76 for the Dana Spicer OEM cover (Part # 10040651), it is far cheaper than what you pay for the Ford Performance Parts M220 diff cover at $295 (Part # M-4033-R). You are basically paying for a sticker!
Where did you find this cover for $140.76? Would you mind sharing a link? Thanks

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The real Advantage here is how the new cover ads a lot of stiffness to the cast iron diff housing. The original housing is very thin and is known to flex under heavy loads or acceleration. The new Stronger ribbed covers do add quite a bit of rigidity to the differential itself and keep the ring and pinion from distorting under load. In my opinion this is why Jeep use this on the powerful Gladiator.
Exactly. I have a similar cover on a GM 12 bolt rear, which also has two studs that place 10 ft-lb of pressure on the bearing caps to keep them from distorting under load.

These housings are totally open on the back, allowing distortion. The Ford 9 inch is the opposite - with a cast housing on the front side holding the pinion and bearings.
Sponsored