Sponsored

Is anyone else considering a Bronco that is overkill for your daily use...but looks so cool you want to buy it anyway?

acetdeucy

Badlands
First Name
daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lincoln Corsair Lexus RX350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

From the time I decided to purchase a Bronco, I was dead set on buying a Big Bend. I knew I would never need a Sasquatch or any of the other higher trim models because I never planned on doing any serious off-roading. I was pretty confident that the Big Bend would handle anything I threw at it. If I was able to order my Bronco about three weeks ago, I would've likely settled on the Big Bend and called it a day.

But..the more time that passes, the more I keep thinking about how major of a purchase this is and if I'm going to spend all of this money, do I really want to look back and wish I would've added an accessory here or a package there? So...I started thinking about the Black Diamond. But, the lack of signature LED lighting and High/Lux package availability soon led me to the Outer Banks. While the Outer Banks allows me to get all of the gadgets I'd like along with the signature lighting, I don't like the way the interior, fenders, and stock tires look. Getting a Wildtrack is out of the question because I know for a fact that I will never need a Sasquatch...no matter how badass it looks. All of this leads me to the Badlands.

I've configured a Badlands on B&P that ticks off every single thing on my wishlist. I have my Lux package features, 2.7 engine, 4A, MGV, washout floors...and it looks dope as hell. I'm even leaning heavily on getting a 2-door even though I still have my family to think about. But, I can't shake the feeling that if I pull the trigger, I might be wasting money on things I may never need (ex: front locker, sway bar disconnect, bash plate, etc.), or I may regret not getting a 4-door for the space. I know that I need to ignore being sensible and just buy what I want. I just wanna know if anyone else is in a similar boat. I'd be interested in hearing how you're justifying your purchase...no matter the reason.
Im doin’ it. Fukinaye!
Sponsored

Akinmx

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F150, 2011 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I agree and am in the same boat. I truly believe Ford missed out on a true build your own Bronco vehicle. Instead of having 6 trims with different specs for each trim, why not build your own Bronco from the bottom up? It wouldn't be that hard. For me it would be a 4.6 drive, 33" tires, 4 door, velocity blue, blue trim MGV interior, signature headlights, tube steps, 12" lcd monitor. I don't need rock rails, heavy duty bumpers, and bash plates.

Grooticus

Big Bend
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Nobody lying on their death bed ever said, “I wish I had saved more money.” You don’t want to over extend yourself obviously but you also only live once. This is at least what I’ve been telling myself. ?

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No sasquatch for me, price not an issue, the sasquatch package will be better in very difficult off-roading, but almost certainly worse everywhere else. Probably poorer acceleration, braking, and handling compared to the non-sasqautch. Going from the bay area, I've got to go on a lot of curvy and up and down roads in hills and mountains to get to outdoor adventures or vacations. I'm not willing to drive a slower, less capable vehicle to get where I'm going. The only exception would be if the Warthog turns out to be faster on mountain roads AND off-road. A 4 door OB with 32" tires will be plenty capable off road. I think my former JKUR came with 32" tires, and was considered a very capable off road vehicle.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Literally all of us are buying a Bronco and it’s overkill for daily use. There is no such thing as daily life that requires a Bronco’s capabilities. I buy what I want because I like it and because when/if I ever need the extra capability it’s there.
Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it....

Sponsored

JuicyJ

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Very similar thought process for me. I am not an off road enthusiast (wouldn’t mind a new hobby) and this would be my daily driver and just think they look cool. I don’t have kids or anything so 2door for me. I originally reserved the OBX because it was marketed toward people like me. When build and price came out I was set on big bend because I thought I could check enough boxes as the OBX and save some money. Plus I hate the painted fenders. Then I decided the MGV was a must have so the build went to the BD, upgraded wheels, 2.7, mid pack. I am a sucker for the big screen as well so I started playing around with the badlands, 2.7 with the high package (I don’t feel like I missing much not going lux). So right now it’s between my BD build for ~43k of BL ~49k and if I had to make the decision today it’s the badlands.

kimmnen

Badlands
First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Transit Connect & '22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Overkill yes looking at it now but I will feel I will be able to do what I want to do and the Bronco will be up to the task or I can just sit and look at it. I am planning on spending the some of the equivalent money that beneficiaries will get from a life insurance policy that I won't be able to enjoy when I am gone. Spend/enjoy it now and payback later.

ehssey

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge Sport, Harley-Davidson Street Glide
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup.

And IDGAF.

LandCruiser

Base
First Name
Bocephias
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Need =/=want

DaDanny

Outer Banks
First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Audi S4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think I'd be sold on BD if and only if I could get at least the High package. As a huge tech nerd, I NEED that 12" screen. Its one of my only must haves. The reason I am choosing a BL over OBX is the interior. I'm a late reservation holder and praying I get a MY22 with an option for a different interior. If so, I can see myself changing to OBX.

Sponsored

Fatdaddy

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

From the time I decided to purchase a Bronco, I was dead set on buying a Big Bend. I knew I would never need a Sasquatch or any of the other higher trim models because I never planned on doing any serious off-roading. I was pretty confident that the Big Bend would handle anything I threw at it. If I was able to order my Bronco about three weeks ago, I would've likely settled on the Big Bend and called it a day.

But..the more time that passes, the more I keep thinking about how major of a purchase this is and if I'm going to spend all of this money, do I really want to look back and wish I would've added an accessory here or a package there? So...I started thinking about the Black Diamond. But, the lack of signature LED lighting and High/Lux package availability soon led me to the Outer Banks. While the Outer Banks allows me to get all of the gadgets I'd like along with the signature lighting, I don't like the way the interior, fenders, and stock tires look. Getting a Wildtrack is out of the question because I know for a fact that I will never need a Sasquatch...no matter how badass it looks. All of this leads me to the Badlands.

I've configured a Badlands on B&P that ticks off every single thing on my wishlist. I have my Lux package features, 2.7 engine, 4A, MGV, washout floors...and it looks dope as hell. I'm even leaning heavily on getting a 2-door even though I still have my family to think about. But, I can't shake the feeling that if I pull the trigger, I might be wasting money on things I may never need (ex: front locker, sway bar disconnect, bash plate, etc.), or I may regret not getting a 4-door for the space. I know that I need to ignore being sensible and just buy what I want. I just wanna know if anyone else is in a similar boat. I'd be interested in hearing how you're justifying your purchase...no matter the reason.
Yes... I’m getting a 4-door Wildtrak + high package, tow, and capable bumper.. I literally only need some cheap piece of shit car for my DD. How am I justifying? The bronco is badass. It’s got great ground clearance and sits high. It’s capable for anything. It looks like a real suv. They don’t make suvs like this. They’re all round now and meant to go to Walmart. I want something I can go to Walmart in but all go on the beach, trails, and mud. It can do everything that others can’t.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No sasquatch for me, price not an issue, the sasquatch package will be better in very difficult off-roading, but almost certainly worse everywhere else. Probably poorer acceleration, braking, and handling compared to the non-sasqautch. Going from the bay area, I've got to go on a lot of curvy and up and down roads in hills and mountains to get to outdoor adventures or vacations. I'm not willing to drive a slower, less capable vehicle to get where I'm going. The only exception would be if the Warthog turns out to be faster on mountain roads AND off-road. A 4 door OB with 32" tires will be plenty capable off road. I think my former JKUR came with 32" tires, and was considered a very capable off road vehicle.
I have thought about this. If I could get the WT on the 33" BL tires that would be my choice. The extra weight of tires and skid plates on the BL would be too much for my every day driving plus getting the sport mode. Quick yet capable is more my thing than rock crawling. Unfortunately I can't get what I want. Leaning non squatch BL.

Gravel28

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Absolutely. Is this a trick question? 80% Daily Driver 20% Off Road. Let the good times roll!
Sponsored