First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm thinking about getting an extended Ford factory warranty but I had a really bad experience with my Jeep factory warranty.
For those of you that have had the Ford warranty was it worth it?
Thanks
IMO, extended warranty in modern cars/trucks is absolutely worth the money - especially if you buy smart!

i had a 2018 F-150 Raptor prior to my Braptor and the extended warranty saved my schninnys when the dreaded cam-phaser problem reared its ugly head. that would have been painful... and let's not forget all the electrical/technology issues that can go wrong - had my PCM replaced as well.

my .02: @FloodFordESP consistently beats everyone else in the market for their ESP pricing. i loved my experience with the dealer where i purchased my truck (shout out to Laura Ford!) but the price they quoted me wasn't even close...

i would recommend you buy an ESP and never look back.

edit: i am not affiliated with Flood in any way, but i did buy my ESP through them for both the F-150 and the Braptor and it was a major savings over every other option i could find for a true factory warranty. if you haven't figured it out - i am a fan.
Sponsored

Last edited:

the314boss

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I second that. If you buy an extended warranty buy a Ford warranty only. Make sure you ask the dealer if this is a genuine Ford warranty or some other brand. Many dealers sell both. Non OEM extended warranties are terrible.
#truth

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I would love to buy an ESP but there are 2 things holding me back...

1) California has decided to monopolize the market and force us to buy overly priced ones in state.

2) Ford seems to be hell bent on trying to get out of warranty fixes whenever possible.

I don't want to buy an over-price Warranty just to get it denied because they found dirt somewhere on the Bronco.

Taltyman

Raptor
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler Rubicon, Ford F350, Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Just picked up our Braptor and bought the warranty for 150k miles. That was the most they offered. We have a 2016 Rubicon and had bought the lifetime warranty through Mopar. After 6 years they have replaced 2 oil coolers, the engine 3 times, repaired the transmission, replaced drive shafts. Replaced the radiator. We put a lot of miles on our primary driver as we go back and forth from Texas to Colorado. The Jeep is no over 170K miles. So far us that warranty has paid for itself many times over. The only gotcha is that warranty work has to be done at a Mopar dealer and has to be approved. For most issues that means 1-3 weeks of down time for the process to unfold. Was going to trade the Rubi in but decided to keep it. Why not with a lifetime warranty?

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Regarding the electronics, I was looking through a list of electrical and electronic items covered, and didn't see mentioned items such as the ECU, ignition module or other such components. Is all that stuff for sure covered?
Attached is the electrical stuff from the brochure. Ignition module is covered... Many other electronic modules in other categories as well...
Ford Bronco Is Ford Extended Warranty worth it? 1700672654611

Sponsored

the314boss

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I would love to buy an ESP but there are 2 things holding me back...

1) California has decided to monopolize the market and force us to buy overly priced ones in state.

2) Ford seems to be hell bent on trying to get out of warranty fixes whenever possible.

I don't want to buy an over-price Warranty just to get it denied because they found dirt somewhere on the Bronco.
1) bummer on number one... that seems almost patently absurd; other than CA is hemorrhaging money paying for entitlements/etc and likely needs all the grifts it can create.

2) i have never (in the past 5+ years of my experiences) had Ford shirk on their warranty responsibility if it was legit.

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I bought the ESP on my Flex, but not the Bronco. Bronco dealership gave us a free 7yr/100k powertrain warranty anyway.

After buying the Flex's ESP, I realized that I basically paid ~$3,000 upfront for an unknown amount in repairs, whether or not the car has any issues. I could blow the PTU twice and still come out at a loss compared to paying out-of-pocket. You're buying under the assumption that it'll require thousands of dollars in repairs between 60k and 150k miles, and within the next 5 years.

Tried using it once on a replacement wheel bearing at 50k miles. They called the next day and refunded it because apparently a wheel bearing is covered by the 5y/60k powertrain warranty.

Last edited:

False

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Warranties are always a gamble basically, but I still got one through Granger because the peace of mind was worth the relative cost. I had an extended warranty on my 2013 Escape with the (at the time) new 2.0 EcoBoost and Ford lost that gamble. Had the turbo go out twice and one time it was due to a mounting bracket that took 4 months to come in. Because of the warranty I had a rental for three of those months covered (was borrowing a car for a month before that). I even called Ford Corporate about how my rental wasn’t the quality of vehicle I was making monthly payments on due to their failure and they covered two months of payments to make up for it. All of that was eaten by “Big Ford” so the dealership couldn’t care less thanks to the warranty.

Edit to add: when it comes to the powertrain warranty there were a few times where the service department tried to play it off as not covered under the powertrain before realizing I had the ESP. I moved a lot and dealt with many dealership service departments “for the first time” and so I saw them try to snake out of things numerous times before checking my VIN. Things you think should be covered because they make the car move just aren’t.

Last edited:

hemiblas

Wildtrak
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang gt, 3 Wrangler JLs
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I'm not a big warranty guy, but the Ford ESP plan through Granger is the way to go. That is what I did. Read up....so many weird issues that have come up. Cam phasers, drivetrain parts....Just look inside the engine bay and you will realize that this isnt your dads car. It is so complicated now to even diagnose an issue and everything is computer controlled. I got the 100k 8 year and I feel so much better. With the Granger price it was only like 1600 bucks or so for the more expensive one that covers everything. This is probably the same one a dealer will try to sell you for 6k or more.

the314boss

Raptor
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I'm not a big warranty guy, but the Ford ESP plan through Granger is the way to go. That is what I did. Read up....so many weird issues that have come up. Cam phasers, drivetrain parts....Just look inside the engine bay and you will realize that this isnt your dads car. It is so complicated now to even diagnose an issue and everything is computer controlled. I got the 100k 8 year and I feel so much better. With the Granger price it was only like 1600 bucks or so for the more expensive one that covers everything. This is probably the same one a dealer will try to sell you for 6k or more.
Flood is similar; both are great deals IMO.

i paid $1500 for 7/100 (with light package) when dealers were offering "bottom dollar/cost" warranties of 6/75 for $2300. pays to do your homework.

speaking from experience: i had both the cam phaser issue and PCM failure after normal factory warranty expired. had i come out of pocket, that would have been $3500+ for my F150 Raptor.

disclosure: i work in an industry heavily involved in insurance. knowing your potential risk exposure (i.e. complicated technology and electronics in new cars) is a big piece and your appetite for risk/loss is the counterbalancing factor.

Sponsored

Tim in Castle Rock

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco (on order), Shelby GT350, Mach E, Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Yep. Just make sure you buy the Ford "Premium Care" Extended Service Plan. Historically, Ford has priced ESP at a 90% loss ratio - so they're expecting to pay $900 on a $1,000 policy. Of course, they have your $$ for 2-3 years before coverage kicks in.

If you don't buy Premium Care, park that $2,000 - $2,500 in a separate account and "self insure". Meaning, that these computers on wheels will wear over time and require repairs - so you do need to plan on expenses down the road. Plus, dealership labor rates are $100 per hour and above - labor only again - so my family likes Premium Care on a expensive vehicle for sure.

Pick up the Premium Maintenance Plan - if you have the time to run the estimated maintenance expense over 6-8 years or so - with synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles - and the bigger service requirements every 15k miles. Dealers don't generally offer it because margins are so small. Anyway, TMI for sure, but hope all that helps.

G6Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G6 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm thinking about getting an extended Ford factory warranty but I had a really bad experience with my Jeep factory warranty.
Thanks
Definitely not worth it. The factory warranty isn’t any good after I blew out my transmission by merely flat towing it behind my RV and Ford said it was my $6300 problem if they cannot guarantee Factory work how in the hell are they going to guarantee extending that?

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The dealership where i got my Bronco gave me a lifetime powertrain warranty with my purchase(no extra cost) so that will cover MOST major parts. That being said, most other components i'll fix myself once warranty is out

Onestepmore

Badlands
First Name
Amos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Badlands with Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Thanks
I was like you undecided and then decided to do the 10 year 150k warranty...the Bronco has too many digital components that are too expensive to repair or replace. We also did the same warranty on my wife's 2019 Volvo XC40....I have not used either yet...I'm hoping I never need to use any but I feel much better knowing I have some protection...at least I hope I do...
Sponsored