Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Alright, then cite the EPA regulation that is "killing off" the 392. Or the EPA order to Stellantis stating the 392 had to be abolished. Yes, it's a class 2A vehicle, so it falls under the LightVic CAFE requirement, but that average is fleet wide, which is how Toyota has the 4Runner with a 16-19mpg along side their hybrids.

And yes, the Raptors are in the same price range, but Ford is still riding the high of "Truck to Have." The Raptor gets the same MPG as the 392, but North America is the second largest area for Stellantis and building a low-production vehicle with declining sales doesn't make sense.

For the record, North America is Ford's largest market.
They have been spending billions on carbon credits each year thanks to the EPA. So all V8ā€™s are axed except for HD trucks and above for now.
Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

They have been spending billions on carbon credits each year thanks to the EPA. So all V8ā€™s are axed except for HD trucks and above for now.
If the issue is CO2 output of your fleet, and again its the fleet under CAFE and not the individual engine or platform, can't meet goals given a decade prior then you have vad engineers, buisness models and planners.

Again the EPA did not ban the 392. It did not ban the V8. They set 2026 goals in 2015 for the fleet average.

The executives of Chrysler made decisions meant to maximize short term profits over investing in new tech, good engineering and the future.

A V8, especially in the modern era of computer controlled FI is not any more or less pollutant than any other ICE engine.

Hell the proof of that is that California has CARB and is still the centre of the Hot Rod world. If you can smog a crate ZZ572 set in a fiberglass T Bucket, then Chrysler could have designed a fleet of engines to meet CAFE.

Aonarch

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜23 Bronco OBX 2DR Lux 2.7, ā€˜16 Corvette Z51
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I liked the 392. Was a bit pricey, but neat idea.
I would rather opt for the diesel, 442 lb-ft of torque is pretty decent, whereas the 392 has 470 lb-ft torque. The diesel can get around 600+ miles to empty as well. I would take miles to empty and decent torque over horsepower any day.
The Ecodiesel has reliability and overheating issues though.

I wouldn't trust the ecodiesel to hit 100k. I'd absolutely trust the Hemi to hit 100k+.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is because of the EPA. The same reason they stopped the TRX V8 and the rest of the Hellcats. The Bronco Raptor is in the same price range and it hasnā€™t been killed off yet so nullifies the argument that itā€™s economy driven.
Certainly not due to the price. Most modded Wranglers are around $100K and as you point out, the BRaptor, etc.

Also, lots of guys hot and heavy on the EPA. Well, way I see it, itā€™s what can happen when an European company is allowed to buy an American Marq. They donā€™t understand this market and is slowly neutering Ram and Jeep to be honest and cramming electric down our throats.

Iā€™m all for a hybrid like the new Land Cruiser, but you can shove that full electric crap up the backside. EV sales have tanked like crazy and I am just amused.

That said, global warming and extreme weather are real, but itā€™s sad that this is all they could come up with. Why not biofuel for ICE engines. Tons of old cooking oil and banana peels ainā€™t it?

Donā€™t want to drive an EV when itā€™s below freezing. Shame to see the 392 die though, I hear if you own one, grows your size by another inch! :)

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If the issue is CO2 output of your fleet, and again its the fleet under CAFE and not the individual engine or platform, can't meet goals given a decade prior then you have vad engineers, buisness models and planners.

Again the EPA did not ban the 392. It did not ban the V8. They set 2026 goals in 2015 for the fleet average.

The executives of Chrysler made decisions meant to maximize short term profits over investing in new tech, good engineering and the future.

A V8, especially in the modern era of computer controlled FI is not any more or less pollutant than any other ICE engine.

Hell the proof of that is that California has CARB and is still the centre of the Hot Rod world. If you can smog a crate ZZ572 set in a fiberglass T Bucket, then Chrysler could have designed a fleet of engines to meet CAFE.
You make some valid points about the short sightedness of domestic car makers, but you are not drawing very rational nor holistic conclusions nor an understanding of cause and effect.

Reactions: OX1

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Alright, then cite the EPA regulation that is "killing off" the 392. Or the EPA order to Stellantis stating the 392 had to be abolished. Yes, it's a class 2A vehicle, so it falls under the LightVic CAFE requirement, but that average is fleet wide, which is how Toyota has the 4Runner with a 16-19mpg along side their hybrids.

And yes, the Raptors are in the same price range, but Ford is still riding the high of "Truck to Have." The Raptor gets the same MPG as the 392, but North America is the second largest area for Stellantis and building a low-production vehicle with declining sales doesn't make sense.

For the record, North America is Ford's largest market.
EPA good enough for you? If they can't use "large" V-8's for a decent amount of vehicles in the fleet, they are not keeping it around for the Wrangler. Will be lucky if the Coyote even survives in the Stang, going forward.

" For light-duty vehicles, EPA is proposing standards that would increase in stringency each year over a six-year period, from MYs 2027-2032. The proposed standards are projected to result in an industry-wide average target for the light-duty fleet of 82 grams/mile (g/mile) of CO2 in MY 2032, representing a 56 percent reduction in projected fleet average greenhouse gas emissions target levels relative to the existing MY 2026 standards. The projected industry fleet average g/mile targets under the proposed MY 2027-2032 standards compared to the current MY 2026 standard (established in 2021) are shown in the figure below. "

https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2023-04/420f23009.pdf

Hopefully supreme court ditches "Chevron" soon. Time to rein in these out of control agencies.
Sponsored