First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OK, so hopefully everyone can learn from my experience so far. I rushed into this project and really wish I had taken my time and thought more about what I really wanted in the end. I ended up getting one front and rear flare installed, then pulled them off because I really should have held them up temporarily to see where my CO paint shined through, stepped back and thought twice before ripping off the tape backing. In a sad attempt at hiding some of the orange fender edge on the front, I ended up installing the flare too low to where there was a gap at the top and bottom (see the circled red areas). Luckily the tape is the clear type that pulls off without tearing or leaving anything behind - I will have to get more of that for reinstall.

Overall they have the look I want with the compromises I expect, but I am going to wait until Spring to reinstall, taking the time to prep and paint my fender edges black. The front will fit much better sitting at the correct height, and the black paint will hide my CO fender edges. Also worth noting is that these flares have the appearance of a lift with extra clearance (1 1/2"), and I'm sure that anyone running a setup with poke would indeed get more clearance to the edge of these flares under the right flex conditions.

Some comparison pics:

KBD Comparison 01.jpg

KBD Comparison 02.jpg

I included the EB as it inspired me wanting this style fender flare and keeping them black:

KBD Comparison 03.jpg

KBD Comparison 04.jpg
Instead of using permanent black paint on your fender edges I'd recommend you try Plasti Dip or similar removable paint in case you ever want to return to stock.
Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Instead of using permanent black paint on your fender edges I'd recommend you try Plasti Dip or similar removable paint in case you ever want to return to stock.
I considered that, but constant debris and water could have it looking shitty in short order. I was thinking more like bed coating. Shit, now that I'm thinking more about it, some removable door edging could even do the trick.

BeachTiger

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F150, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I considered that, but constant debris and water could have it looking shitty in short order. I was thinking more like bed coating. Shit, now that I'm thinking more about it, some removable door edging could even do the trick.
You can also get narrow rolls of matte black vinyl wrap on Amazon for 20 bucks. A heat gun or blow dryer would probably do the trick.

nwGTS

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 GTS, BMW M3, VW Golf
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OK, so hopefully everyone can learn from my experience so far. I rushed into this project and really wish I had taken my time and thought more about what I really wanted in the end. I ended up getting one front and rear flare installed, then pulled them off because I really should have held them up temporarily to see where my CO paint shined through, stepped back and thought twice before ripping off the tape backing. In a sad attempt at hiding some of the orange fender edge on the front, I ended up installing the flare too low to where there was a gap at the top and bottom (see the circled red areas). Luckily the tape is the clear type that pulls off without tearing or leaving anything behind - I will have to get more of that for reinstall.

Overall they have the look I want with the compromises I expect, but I am going to wait until Spring to reinstall, taking the time to prep and paint my fender edges black. The front will fit much better sitting at the correct height, and the black paint will hide my CO fender edges. Also worth noting is that these flares have the appearance of a lift with extra clearance (1 1/2"), and I'm sure that anyone running a setup with poke would indeed get more clearance to the edge of these flares under the right flex conditions.

Some comparison pics:

KBD Comparison 01.jpg

KBD Comparison 02.jpg

I included the EB as it inspired me wanting this style fender flare and keeping them black:

KBD Comparison 03.jpg

KBD Comparison 04.jpg
Many thanks for jumping first. I think they look great. Maybe it's the high contrast in the photo blending the flare and the void together but the wheel well looks much larger with these creating an effect that would require larger diameter tires to correct visually. I didn't see that in the stock images we posted earlier so it's likely just a trick of the light.

They do appear a bit shiny for my taste but that's how they looked on the EBs so can't fault them there.

Agree you could use some oracle vinyl from AMZ on this or even door edge trim, but since you took them off already, I dont think there's any harm in painting that area. It's covered by the OEM fender flares anyway if I'm not mistaken.

Sponsored

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Many thanks for jumping first. I think they look great. Maybe it's the high contrast in the photo blending the flare and the void together but the wheel well looks much larger with these creating an effect that would require larger diameter tires to correct visually. I didn't see that in the stock images we posted earlier so it's likely just a trick of the light.

They do appear a bit shiny for my taste but that's how they looked on the EBs so can't fault them there.

Agree you could use some oracle vinyl from AMZ on this or even door edge trim, but since you took them off already, I dont think there's any harm in painting that area. It's covered by the OEM fender flares anyway if I'm not mistaken.
That was kinda my thought as well, the area is covered anyway. Probably look better with the whole lip black for people running no flares as well. We'll see, but I'm out of nice weather PTO days I can take off work, and I probably won't have replacement tape (KBD saw my post and reached out via. IG to offer to send me more tape!) until next week when it'll only be a high in the 50s where I live. I don't want to risk reinstall with temps under 60 deg.

As for the wheel wells, I touched on that a bit and the comparison pics show the height difference on the outside. I plan to get 35s when I find wheels I like, so chances are they will look great without needing a lift to Squatch height.

helifino16

Wildtrak
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Dodge Challenger, 2007 FLHTC "Classic"
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is it just me, or does anyone else wonder why - If Ford can make Fender Flares that come on and off easily, why can't anyone else? I'd really like to have something like this for Weekends (and cruise nights, etc.) when I'm not commuting back and forth. I like the LOOK of a little poke every now and then, but prefer the IDEA of fuller coverage when driving normally. Not to mention, some states require full coverage over tires to pass inspection (agreed, this is not vigorously enforced). Anyone else want this look only occasionally?

JKommuter

Base
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Escape
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well my set will be delivered today. If they arrive early enough in the day Iā€™ll have them on today.
Mine are coming today too, but I will probably wait until Saturday to install. Please share any thoughts and pics after installing your set.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor

Some comparison pics:

KBD Comparison 01.jpg

KBD Comparison 02.jpg

KBD Comparison 03.jpg

KBD Comparison 04.jpg
First off, you're a Legend with all those pics and comparison! That really helps the community a ton.

Second, given the application and not seeing this in person to know exactly how much of the CO lip is showing, door edge guard might work in spots, but I'm guessing not the entire radius without contacting the new fender and causing some new fitment issues.

Using matte vinyl should work nicely and only require a diluted IPA wipedown for prep. There is that thick vinyl such as what @broadicustomworks used on the lower portion of his doors for protection, but I'm betting that stuff won't make the sharp curve to wrap to the inside of the aluminum fender where vinyl and a heat gun should make that happen.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'd venture to say that the thick Xpel Armor vinyl I used would still have a bit of difficulty making that radius, even with heat.
The stuff is thick.
Unasked-for opinion from me is to Raptor line that lip and call it a day, wheel on. An even less-invasive and messy route to go would be to simply use some Krylon matte or semi-gloss black for less mil build, touch-up as needed with a fresh coat.

FWIW I was not a big fan of these but they DO look pretty good on yours, and as you said, give that illusion of a bit of lift with a bit more external edge clearance.

Before I pull the trigger I want to see how they weather and the upkeep needed.
IF I were to purchase them I'd probably go ahead and scuff them up, apply adhesion promoter, and just Raptor line the whole flare before install. That way the "dressing application" needed to keep them up is not a factor.

But that look isn't for everyone. I love it due to the rugged and utility factor it brings.
But again, I'm that fool considering doing a desert tan Raptor job on my whole rig once it gets some age on it.

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well got them on this evening. I think the worst part was prepping them and applying the double sided tape. Defiantly have some poke now. Iā€™ll edit this post to add some more photos in the day time.
Ford Bronco KBD fender flares 2867AA0A-85BA-45CB-AFE2-0B616C067BC7

Ford Bronco KBD fender flares 8FE30462-4203-4D60-AD1A-71DC599FA8D4

Ford Bronco KBD fender flares F2C66FE0-9437-455D-A4DE-F6EAF0C99788

rainman23

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well got them on this evening. I think the worst part was prepping them and applying the double sided tape. Defiantly have some poke now. Iā€™ll edit this post to add some more photos in the day time.
2867AA0A-85BA-45CB-AFE2-0B616C067BC7.jpeg

8FE30462-4203-4D60-AD1A-71DC599FA8D4.jpeg

F2C66FE0-9437-455D-A4DE-F6EAF0C99788.jpeg
Once these are on are they permanent or can they be removed like the OEM? I think they look pretty darn good.

OP
OP
OddBall88

OddBall88

Badlands
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Once these are on are they permanent or can they be removed like the OEM? I think they look pretty darn good.
Iā€™d say semi permanent. Youā€™d have to redo the tape anytime you remove them. But other than that itā€™s just screws and bolts and 4 of the factory twist deals.
Sponsored