Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mazda CX-5, 2018 Mazda 3
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Unfortunately, I don't make the kind of money to afford a $50-60k vehicle. However, I couldn't justify spending that much if I could afford it. I'm likely gonna get what I initially reserved...2 door base with 7sp. I have no desire to rock climb, etc. I see driving with family to the beach with the roof off, camping, towing (a lightweight travel trailer), driving trails that won't scratch and destroy the vehicle because of my off-road virginity, etc. I don't intend to get any mods initially, except maybe bigger A/T tires.
Sponsored

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I won't be doing much rock crawling but it will definitely be off-roaded. I'm not looking to break much but I have little issues in denting this thing up from day one. It's not my "baby," it'll be a tool. Maintained but for sure used.

It will also, quite soon, go across the continent on a three ocean tour.

In a couple of years I'll likely drive it through the US down to Central America, and if we can swing it at the time, keep going to the bottom of South America. This will be a real excursion machine. We'll slowly kit it out for year-long travel.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My Bronco will replace my current LJ Rubicon, so it has to be capable. It has to work as a toad for the motorhome, touring at our destination, moderate to moderately severe off roading (a bit short of what they have shown on the Rubicon and Moab) and some potentially deep snow or rocky trails hunting. Really I think a Black Diamond will do it (but $7K seems high for what it's got), or if the Base can be had with a locker, I'll up tire and go. Sasquatch will certainly work, but I think it has too much tire and again would be $7k extra ($1600 auto and $5k Squatch). Oh, and it might replace my Mustang also for looking cool cruising around town.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Heh, I will daily my rig except on beach day. The better half needs 35s and lockers with no top and doors because, well just because. Today I was helping her haul her boards up from the Explorer after a day in the surf and really though, "Yup it would be so much nicer if we had a Bronco for this."

On a side note, we as a family need to test out and use trail turn on the beach very much, I am sure it is one of those things we have been missing our entire lives. I got the 2.7 so we can more effortlessly execute such.

KillaC

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96’ wrangler, 18’ GTI, 20’ 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m self employed and this will be my “company vehicle.” But really it’s going to be my ultra-capable daily driver that’ll only go off road occasionally. But it’ll look pretty badass pulling up to appointments so I don’t care If it’s mainly a mall crawler ??‍♀

Sponsored

Xodric

Badlands
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Manitoba, Canada ( Born/Raised in Kansas )
Vehicle(s)
1978 Bronco XLT, 1979 F150 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where I live we get a ton of snow, it gets colder here than the surface of Mars. I drive in snow conditions that would scare lesser men. The abominable snowman shivers at the thought of our winters. So I need a vehicle capable and wild enough to dare to venture out into the snowy unkown. I need a Bronco!

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I never understood why others care how I will use my vehicles.

If they were were writing the check then maybe

jaruss01

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XC90 T6 R-Design / 2020 S60 T6 AWD
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Probably the worst offender here. I commute via public transportation within walking distance, to NYC and my car does not move from the driveway M-F. My wife doesn’t drive much either but insists we need two cars for emergencies. We have two leases that we each put 5k miles on a year tops. During COVID, even less. Our Volvo lease that we picked up almost a year ago just crossed the 3k mile mark.

We don’t have a garage so Some months I literally spend more time cleaning the cars than actually driving them. They are paperweights in the driveway more times than not.

I plan on breaking out of my leasing strategy and buying a loaded OBX since I know it won’t lease well. It’s totally a waste of money. To make matters worse my wife wants a Model Y, which we all know will never pay itself off if she’s only putting 3-5k miles on it a year when you factor in gas savings.

So just a total waste of money all around.

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A $50k vehicle in 2020 dollars was only about a $30k vehicle in 2000 dollars and about $15k in 1980 dollars. That's the price where a competent, well-optioned off-road vehicle has been in for the price point at each of those points in time. $50k is nowhere near what $50k was when growing up, ESPECIALLY with Seattle's cost of living! (adjusting pricing based on content/tech which wasn't available or mechanical options at previous time points)

I intend to do things which keep the vehicle cost down (such as knowing how to drive a manual, only needing 2 doors and not caring about the Mid/High/Lux packages). Right there is between a $6-10k reduction in total vehicle price.

And I intend to take it off road in a variety of environments and explore more of this wonderfully diverse country. All with a bone-stock vehicle exactly how it comes off the showroom floor mechanically wise. If things break then warranty is there.

For the folks who want a fully kitted out 4-door, max package, every option then either it's going to look full on truck-nuts in their parking lot (and the parking lot of their favorite pub!), or they have enough money that the vehicle price doesn't make one lick of a difference to them in the first place.

In 5 years time there are sure to be plenty of people who bought the cheapest Bronco they could afford, then double-sided-tape another $10k in modifications to it so did the vehicle transaction price matter in the first place?

Last edited:

Zero_chance

Badlands
First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.southvalleymustang.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

With all this discussion of trims, options, and prices, There's a lot of hamsters running around in peoples heads thinking about what they're going to go with. I see people asking questions about should I get (insert) trim with these options or this trim with these options. Now this is good, we're thinking about what we want to spend our hard earned money on, but lets take a minute and think about our needs and intended use of the Bronco.

Now I'm not trying to bash anyone here, but lets be honest with ourselves. How many of us are going to spend $50k-$60k on a totally optioned out off-road trim and go out to the trails to beat on it like it's a 30 year old Toyota? For a lot of people this will be their first off-road vehicle, and off-road has many different definitions depending on who you are. We all might have intentions of going to Rubicon or Moab to tackle the toughest trails, but in reality fire roads and mild dirt trails that sedans can get by on will probably be the extent for the average person. Now before you hardcore off-roaders flip tables, yes I'm aware there are some people out there that will push the limits, but they will most likely be a small majority.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying what they want, just trying to start a discussion about what YOUR intended use and needs are and how they align with the trim/options you have in mind.
Don’t go trying to talk sense into people, it’s a forum. I think most folks see it and picture the great wide open ripe for adventuring but more often than not end up having it be their daily driver with options that are way overkill. Being honest, the OBX trim is more than adequate for what we will ACTUALLY do, since my wife will be driving it a majority of the time (I got the new Mustang, she gets the Bronco). That being said, right from the get go she said she wanted the Badlands as soon as we researched it together. Necessary? Nope. She had a JK for years and only used 4wd in the snow. But now that our daughters a little older and we live in a much more adventure ready state (AZ versus MA) we’re going with the four door Badlands and want to get out into the wilderness as a family when the time comes. Will we? Who knows, but it’s nice to think about.

Villageidit

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4X4 Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Honestly the Sport Badlands would cover most of my off road intentions. But I'm getting what I want as this is finally replacing the Ramcharger I had to sell over 20 years ago. I intend to hit the trails near me and plan to go to national parks. I'll be retired so not a DD. My truck will be much more comfortable. I can see a trip to Moab and some dunes in my future. At least the BD trim with a rear locker. BNP will determine the final outcome. This will be a fun ride and probably the last new vehicle we get.

Scohin

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

2DR Black Diamond DD (with COVID that's more of a driveway doll than daily driver) going off road once or twice a year, but being too chicken to do anything other than Fins and Things

ilkhan

Badlands
First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pondering a badlands or wildtrack. With some luck it'll be the more nimble counterpart to a cybertruck. With a lot of luck it'll the toad behind an RV as well for seeing what is left of the beautify of the American wilderness.

Either way, it'll see mostly paved roads with an occasional fire-road and/or dirt. Maybe a trail or two.
Sponsored