Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I could have sworn I saw separate coils in another picture of the Bronco rear suspension but I could be wrong. I definitely hope it has coilovers because I feel like that would be easier to upgrade for longer travel.

I'll search around later and see if I can find the pic I'm talking about ...
Sponsored

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
No drain plug under that diff, unless there is one in front. New Gripe: Guess we have to take the cover off every time, or get a cover with a drain plug.

Having both a TJ with no plug, and a JK with drain plugs, guess which one gets it’s differential fluid changed more often?
Agree, I was looking for the drain as well but it is not visible in the photo. Hopefully it's there somewhere. On the Jeep JL front axle they very stupidly put it directly on the bottom of the centersection housing where it gets mangled and worked loose when it hits stuff offroad. The JK drain locations were so much better, being oriented on the side of the housing near the bottom, without being directly on the bottom. Hopefully this one will be like that.

OP
OP
BroncoRick

BroncoRick

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
While we're zooming in on stuff, the reciever hitch and Heep recovery hook set up looks interesting.
LOL
The receiver is very similar to a Jeep JK and JL. Infact looks exactly alike. It is bolted to the rear frame crossmember, and as such is removable--and similarly you'll be able to add it if yours didnt' come with it. This also makes adding high-clearance rear bumpers easier.

The bottom plate of this hitch also nicely protects the wiring plug. It can be a vulnerable spot because its the first thing that hits and drags when you drop off of a rock or a ledge. Looks like they did a great job with it.

jimbo92

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
231 mm would be 9.09" and 251 mm would be 9.88". That's decently beefy. The Pajero rear is 9.5"

I'm not super familiar with driveline components but I do know that overbuilt (the Toyota way) is better than underbuilt (the Jeep way).
Its been a long long time since Toyota did anything "overbuilt". 8" ring gears in 5-6k lb trucks is trash.

frinesi2

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'92 Pajero 2.5TD, '99 Land Cruiser '15 Golf TDI
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Its been a long long time since Toyota did anything "overbuilt". 8" ring gears in 5-6k lb trucks is trash.
I was under the impression that they still overbuilt the Land Cruiser but maybe I'm wrong.

Sponsored

Paint

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Is that what the Tacoma has? It doesn't need a yuge one because...well...Tacoma.

And the Tundra's rear is 10.5" if memory serves.

securitysix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I remember being told 10" when I was shopping for my 2011 Tundra, but I may be remembering incorrectly, so 10.5" might be right.

The Pope

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 F250/2007 Mercury Mariner/2014 Infiniti Q60x/2011 Kawasaki C14
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What am I seeing here?
2021 Bronco diff .png

That pinion area looks long as heck, if that is what I'm seeing.....and then the multi-bolt "termination" of whatever that is.
Looks like an Ultimate Dana 44 Advantek.......

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're right! The Ranger Raptor does have rear coilovers; the link setup is a bit different due to the Ranger's diff cover link setup. But this would lend more info towards the Bronco having a rear coilover as the redesigned Ranger is supposed to share some things with the Bronco, right? I agree it will be interesting to see this setup in action.
If it does get coilovers it would only be on a hardcore model. Shocks will be standard units. Dont ask me how i know please. If the hardcore model does get coilovers i hope that somehow it will be an easy swap. Like if you have a street model and you come across a wrecked raptor( or what have you) just swap axles or arms and the chassis will recieve them without too much trouble. That would be nice if they plan for builders and swappers.
I also hppe thats the case with the different front arms we've seen. Buy the stardard and get the take-offs on ebay from the sky high builders and have a hardcore rig without all the flash.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is that what the Tacoma has? It doesn't need a yuge one because...well...Tacoma.

I wasnt gonna say anything but yeah.... i always thought toyota diffs were just compact ford style lol.

Sponsored

Jalisurr

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'09 Corvette Z06, '97 Mitsubishi Pajero Evo
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
If it does get coilovers it would only be on a hardcore model. Shocks will be standard units. Dont ask me how i know please. If the hardcore model does get coilovers i hope that somehow it will be an easy swap. Like if you have a street model and you come across a wrecked raptor( or what have you) just swap axles or arms and the chassis will recieve them without too much trouble. That would be nice if they plan for builders and swappers.
I also hppe thats the case with the different front arms we've seen. Buy the stardard and get the take-offs on ebay from the sky high builders and have a hardcore rig without all the flash.
If the standard units are just shocks, where do the springs go? The ones we've seen with coilovers have included some that appear to be a low trim with all-season tires.

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
If the standard units are just shocks, where do the springs go? The ones we've seen with coilovers have included some that appear to be a low trim with all-season tires.
I would love coil overs myself, and when I heard how I heard about em I was a lil bummed, but I dont know what to tell you. It is what it is. Atleast they arent struts like im sure the sport will have.

Pieman

Badlands
First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Expedition, ‘22 BS, ‘23 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would love coil overs myself, and when I heard how I heard about em I was a lil bummed, but I dont know what to tell you. It is what it is. Atleast they arent struts like im sure the sport will have.
Well dang it Mav... I had just spent a little time having fun with the speculation. Figure I'd share what I was seeing anyways. (Actually, now that you say it, sorta does look like a strut style setup or I guess just non-adjustable from what looks to be the rear spring seat/perch? ?‍♂)

I also wanted to say I've enjoyed lurking over the last month or so.
Thanks to all for the great info, images, and entertainment. Greetings from UT! ?

Ford Bronco Let's overanalyze the mule undercarriage DF2CB435-7919-4B17-BE1E-92D104561F11_1_201_a

Ford Bronco Let's overanalyze the mule undercarriage AEB13CBA-B152-4252-8246-7E6ED9559BC1

Last edited:

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well to be honest after really examining the desert video stills. Outboard of the control arms it looked like i saw a white shock body that was behind something and above it was a ssomething with spacings and angles like a coil. Its hard to know till we know. Maybe its some sort of shock inside the coil but not attached to each other like a strut or coil over. It would make it a pain to swap shocks but it could leave it easily upgradeable to coil overs. I mean ford does know the first thjng the modifiers do is swap suspension. I also rhink this is the reason those control arms are so big and low and very parellel unloaded at rest because they know were gonna lift it. Nice thoughts in troubled times.

Tslater1989

Badlands
First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 f150, 2016 explorer, 97 f150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Looks like an Ultimate Dana 44 Advantek.......
Quick side note. See how thick that flange is on the diff cover? Thats not punched tin. Thats some thick stamped steel.!
Sponsored