Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 ram trx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Is it just me, or are many of you offended when the term “Mall Crawler” is used to describe your beloved ride? Just because I didn’t buy my Bronco to go hard core off reading ALL THE TIME and I choose to dress it up to make it my own, doesn’t make it a mall crawler. I bought it for may reasons. I always make all of my rides somewhat uniquely mine. Wheels, tires, exhaust etc. My ride may be a “Neighborhood Nuisance”, a “Drag Strip Diva”, or a ”Highway Hauler”, but it sure the hell isn’t a mall crawler.
Sponsored

BostonSasquatch

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Lux Badlands with hardtop and Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is something of a cult, ScorpydJim. As with any "movement," you have degrees of enthusiasts: the general sympathizers, the intellectuals (i.e. detail-knowledgeables), the serious members, the true believers, and most "purist" of all, the zealots. Like some people go to church occasionally, some rarely, some every Sunday, and some for mid-week Bible studies.
Fit in wherever you're most comfortable.

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Where are you in Iowa?

I always say “to each their own”.

Bushwhacker

Wildtrak
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Good point, but what if you wanted it to be a "mall crawler"? To each their own tho right?

I respect those folks that customize their Bronco's to true off-roading rigs. That hit super technical trails and are fully immersed in the hobby. That's awesome... for them.

For me, my first vehicle in 1994 at 16 was a Jeep YJ. In 1998 I bought my second vehcile, a brand new F150. I've only owned trucks since then. I hunt, A LOT. I need a rig that supports this passion of mine. There are times when I need it to be 4WD, but cargo is my main concern. Lift and tires is more cosmetic for me as I don't often hunt in areas that require in-depth off roading setups to access. The Bronco may not work for me in my primary role but I won't know until I try it. If it doesn't I'll go back to crew cab 4wd pick-ups with enclosed bed space. It fits my needs.

Others, may like the look but never leave the pavement... good for them too. With a couple caveats.

I have exceptions:

- Carolina Squats are dumb, make no sense and look ridiculous.

- Off Road capable vehicles should ALWAYS be 4x4 AND not have anything larger than a 20" (and to me personally that is too large) wheel. Putting 6" lifts and low profile 37" tires is utterly stupid!

Lifting a 2wd truck and putting 37's on it doesn't make it an off road capable vehicle, just someone with more money than sense...

** THOUGH I THOROUGHLY DETEST PUTTING LIFT KITS AND 35" TIRES ON 2WD TRUCKS**

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

ScorpydJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 ram trx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good point, but what if you wanted it to be a "mall crawler"? To each their own tho right?

I respect those folks that customize their Bronco's to true off-roading rigs. That hit super technical trails and are fully immersed in the hobby. That's awesome... for them.

For me, my first vehicle in 1994 at 16 was a Jeep YJ. In 1998 I bought my first second vehcile, a brand new F150. I've only owned trucks since then. I hunt, a lot. I need a rig that supports this passion of mine. There are times when I needed it to be 4x4 but cargo is my main concern. Lift and tires is more cosmetic for me as I don't often hunt in areas that require in-depth off roading setups to access. The Bronco may not work for me in my primary role but I won't know until I try it.

Others, may like the look but never leave the pavement... good for them too. With a couple caveats.

I have exceptions:

- Carolina Squats are dumb, make no sense and look ridiculous.

- Off Road capable vehicles should ALWAYS be 4x4 AND not have anything larger than a 20" (and to me personally that is too large) wheel. Putting 6" lifts and low profile 37" tires is utterly stupid!

Lifting a 2wd truck and putting 37's on it doesn't make it an off road capable vehicle, just someone with more money than sense...

** THOUGH I THOROUGHLY DETEST PUTTING LIFT KITS AND 35" TIRES ON 2WD TRUCKS**
Absolutely, if that’s what you want, make it your own! I appreciate every kind of ride.

OP
OP

ScorpydJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 ram trx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Where are you in Iowa?

I always say “to each their own”.
Iowa City (Coralville). I haven’t seen a lot of Broncos here on the road. I have only seen one 2DR, all the rest have been 4DR’s. For the time being, I have a local unicorn. I hope that changes though, these things are so cool!

Last edited:
Reactions: MJJ

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not offended. I know what I got and what I do with it. I’d rather people think it’s some mall crawler then give them a proper bronco sneeze at 24 psi and watch them shit themselves.

Use to be “to each their own”. Internet ruined that.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Some "mall crawlers" are more obvious than others; think angry faced Jeeps with 22" wheels and low profile tires.

If your into snow sports and need 4WD, you're not a mall crawler.

If you go camping and do only mild dirt trails, You're not a mall crawler either. You don't have to be hard core.

If you hate camping and don't do snow or outdoors of any kind, and need an Air B&B and pavement to drive on to go to a National Park, YOU are a mall crawler.

But any use is ok...

The person who wants the base build to take the tops off to go to the beach is not a mall crawler. But put Big ass chrome wheels and street tires on it and now it's a mall crawler.

It's the owner and their specs and use that makes some use the term "Mall Crawler".

OP
OP

ScorpydJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 ram trx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not offended. I know what I got and what I do with it. I’d rather people think it’s some mall crawler then give them a proper bronco sneeze at 24 psi and watch them shit themselves.

Use to be “to each their own”. Internet ruined that.
In hindsight, offended was the wrong term, because I’m really not “offended”, more like who do you think you are, saying that to people. My ride hasn’t been called that to my face , but I am referring to the past comments on here generalizing people that have bought there Bronco ( or other ride) to enjoy how THEY want. Maybe I should have said “do any of you want to say “screw you” when someone refers to a ride as a mall crawler just because you don’t meet their criteria to own one.

OP
OP

ScorpydJim

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 ram trx
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Offended? That’s hilarious. Not trying to be a dick here but you need to get thicker skin my friend. Who gives a shit what people think.
As I said I’m an idiot, I have this going on the BRaptor as well, I don’t know how to fix it, but as I said there, offended is the wrong term. I’m not easily offended and generally don’t give a crap what other people think, it was just a general question as to why do some people think you don’t deserve to own as “X” just because you aren’t using it the way they think you should, and they are so proud to blather on about it!
Sponsored