Sponsored

Manual or the 2.7

Whoā€™s going to get their Bronco with a manual transmission?

• Manual

• Automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ajusaf

Black Diamond
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Stock is 16-19psi.
damn a lot higher than i thought. I was basing it back in the days of my Volvo, but then again these are twin turbo's and i only dealt with a single turbo
Sponsored

ragingclue

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LWN ZR2, NA8, Bricks
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want to shift gears very badly but having owned a 2.7, that is such a good engine. For me it will depend on what the sasquatch package costs and the other options I want. I dont want to push over 45k, at that point I would just get a 2-3 year old Raptor. But whatever I do I have to drop my ZR2, that is the worst truck that I have ever owned.
My ZR2 was great outside of emissions BS that took its whole first month and a half in existence to sort out. Sold it just the other day because the used vehicle market is nuts right now and I got offered too much to say no.

So now I'm down to a stock NA8 Miata, a 1990 245 DL with 285k on it, and a 1985 245 turbo with 260k+ (turbo without knock detection is fun) as my options.... ZR2 didn't even have 200HP so it was pokey too. I think I'll be fine with the power output of the 2.3 on the Bronco, and I just can't say no to a manual if it's offered. I've had some decently fast cars over the years but vehicles like the Bronco aren't the ones where I feel like I always want to be going Mach 2 with my hair on fire. Better power than my Disco had plus a manual and I can take the top off.... Sounds good to me! I'm sure the 2.7 is a riot and I'd consider it if a manual was available, but after driving Rangers, I'm definitely good to go with the 2.3.

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Up until yesterday I was set on manual....but I read an article about how the smaller engine will probably go out quicker than the v6 d/t workload.
Automatic it is.
Please share said article.

20Bronco21

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€™22 Badlands, ā€˜23 Balands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Fifty years of driving and forty of those with a manual. Last ten years with an automatic in my F-150. Do I miss rowing gears, you bet, but I want the V6 and so it is not available to me. Iā€™m fine with the 10 speed.

Ajfetterman

Badlands
First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2, 1991 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My ZR2 was great outside of emissions BS that took its whole first month and a half in existence to sort out. Sold it just the other day because the used vehicle market is nuts right now and I got offered too much to say no.

So now I'm down to a stock NA8 Miata, a 1990 245 DL with 285k on it, and a 1985 245 turbo with 260k+ (turbo without knock detection is fun) as my options.... ZR2 didn't even have 200HP so it was pokey too. I think I'll be fine with the power output of the 2.3 on the Bronco, and I just can't say no to a manual if it's offered. I've had some decently fast cars over the years but vehicles like the Bronco aren't the ones where I feel like I always want to be going Mach 2 with my hair on fire. Better power than my Disco had plus a manual and I can take the top off.... Sounds good to me! I'm sure the 2.7 is a riot and I'd consider it if a manual was available, but after driving Rangers, I'm definitely good to go with the 2.3.
I have the 3.6 but have had nothing but odd problems. Paint issues, AC barely works, radio is sketchy, transmission constantly shutters, bad shock, the whole truck lunges forward when I use remote start. GM corporate did confirm there is an issue but that they do not know how to repair it. All of this and a tad over 2 years and 14k miles.

But it sure does look good!

Sponsored

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Up until yesterday I was set on manual....but I read an article about how the smaller engine will probably go out quicker than the v6 d/t workload.
Automatic it is.
Please site your source. If it was the one (as in singular) comment on here yesterday from the guy who posted that a friend said turbo motors wear out faster, i'll laugh my ass off!

That guy was, apparently, unaware that the 2.7 he was championing is twin turbo. What an odd "rational", but hey, it made sense in his head and in the head of the "good friend" who thinks he's a mechanic.

Update: Found the comment, linked below, post 23 in this thread. Was this "your source" for how the 2.3, dispite being in HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Mustangs and Rangers somehow "wears out faster"?

link to thread

Last edited:

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Auto here regardless. I don't know if I could commit to a manual for a DD. If this was going to be a toy then I would have to really think about it.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Auto here regardless. I don't know if I could commit to a manual for a DD. If this was going to be a toy then I would have to really think about it.
Ironically, we both have Mazda 6's (2018, GT Reserve here. With the 2.5t and auto trans, company car), but I could not imagine living with another automatic on a daily basis due to making every drive mind numbing.

Isn't traffic a non-issue there in Outer Heaven?

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands 2 door MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have to admit all the posts about being surprised how close manual is to auto on the poll.... itā€™s 75 votes out of 165,000 reservations haha With that said I am 100% on the manual train as I love being one with the car and having complete control over what it does?
Yea polls are one thing and its nice to see the interest in the manual but I'm very interested to see what the initial take rate for these reservations take the manual.

Hkak45

Black Diamond
First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yea polls are one thing and its nice to see the interest in the manual but I'm very interested to see what the initial take rate for these reservations take the manual.
I agree. Part of me hopes itā€™s less than 5% so I can feel cool being on of the few manuals but the other part of me knows that Ford needs to sell a lot so all of us can hopefully still have manuals in new broncos several years down the line.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm still on the fence with the manual because it will be my DD. But if I don't go with the manual I rather get the 2.7L

OP
OP
rapidredbronco2021

rapidredbronco2021

Badlands
First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree. Part of me hopes itā€™s less than 5% so I can feel cool being on of the few manuals but the other part of me knows that Ford needs to sell a lot so all of us can hopefully still have manuals in new broncos several years down the line.
I know the Mustang manual take rates are higher and will be higher than the Bronco. But I hope people consider going the manual route even with it being attached to the base engine. Or at least be comparable to the manual take rates with the Wrangler. I personally think the gave it as an option because the Wrangler still has it as an option.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ironically, we both have Mazda 6's (2018, GT Reserve here. With the 2.5t and auto trans, company car), but I could not imagine living with another automatic on a daily basis due to making every drive mind numbing.

Isn't traffic a non-issue there in Outer Heaven?
Ha I wish traffic was a non issue here. It's not to bad but when its bad its sitting in stop and go. I also have to factor in the wife too though. There are plenty of times we have had to swap vehicles

I'm still on the fence with the manual because it will be my DD. But if I don't go with the manual I rather get the 2.7L
I also have that on my mind. If I can swing the 2.7 I am going that route

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Crawler gear sounds perfect for traffic. Roll along at 1 mph. ?

splatrd

Big Bend
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado, Chevy Camaro SS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Is anyone who was considering getting the manual at first, but now since its with the smaller 2.3 eco boost just considering getting the bigger engine?

I know the fact that you canā€™t get the Sasquatch package with the manual is a mark against the manual as well. Even with manuals having less and less take rates in other vehicles today, is anyone still considering the manual at this point with what we know so far?

I reseserved a two door Bronco and Iā€™m still on the fence on whether to get it with the manual or get the bigger 2.7 eco boost engine.
No choice for me. I have always had a manual transmission vehicle from my very first car on. Automatics have come a long way, and in most cases offer better MPG and faster shifting. However for me, manual allows for the full driving experience. Plus I hate the way the modern autos are programmed to be in the highest possible at all times, and that you have to smash the gas pedal just to get decent acceleration. I much rather be able to hold a gear as long as I want knowing that I will need to accelerate on an on ramp, turn, etc. Some like Rolls Royce are linking the trans to the GPS to give it smarts, but that is still a ways off for main stream. Best part though is that extra pedal is the best anti-theft device out there.
Sponsored