Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
So you are telling me that a top that is now on version 2.0, well on its way to version 3.0 and has had significant issues, including pushing 1,000s or reservation holders to pick the soft top is a-ok and reasonably priced.

Any defenders of the popcorn rattle, honeycomb ugly, unfinished edge, separating edge top does not resonate with those of us who want quality and who would have happily paid even more to get a top that I wouldnā€™t find embarrassing to show friends and family on my 62K vehicle.

never gonna give you up.
You keep harping on your tired talking point of the cost of the vehicle.

Why?

Your point is very invalid and has been for some time. Here's all 6 generations of vehicles with MSRP comparison

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...olution-styling-performance-size-price.11209/

And the evidence you're going to have to use your time machine and go back to 1978 for your argument to hold water.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rformance-size-price.11209/page-5#post-411513

If you want to tart a vehicle up to have a transaction price 220% over the entry level MSRP, that's entirely your choice. But to somehow equate that to being overpriced then it's your purchasing choices which have made it overpriced.

As to the only part of your "statement" which isn't utter poppycock, I am not telling you what the top is or is not made from, nor am I telling you the engineering version Ford is using. I'm presenting some possible materials into consideration which might have been used.

I'll point out that an actual conversation about materials based on real-world facts and reality instead of the "what do my friends think about me?" urinal tape-measurement feelings you keep bringing up, is vastly more helpful.

Hey, I get it though, you need to tell your buddies you spent $62,000 on a mass-produced Ford. COOL!

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics giphy[1]
Sponsored

OP
OP
aj_benedetto

aj_benedetto

Big Bend
First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hoffmanford.com
Vehicle(s)
2010 Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

@aj_benedetto can you post the dealer/store directions on what you must do when changing a MIC 1.0 to a 2.0 please? Would love to see the guidance/directions. Ie, must you cut the top? Does the owner of a MIC 1.0 HAVE TO turn in their old top?
I will have to check on that for you, but I do know that Ford instructed us to cut the top and dispose of it. We are not permitted to give it back to the owner.

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You keep harping on your tired talking point of the cost of the vehicle.

Why?

Your point is very invalid and has been for some time. Here's all 6 generations of vehicles with MSRP comparison

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...olution-styling-performance-size-price.11209/

And the evidence you're going to have to use your time machine and go back to 1978 for your argument to hold water.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...rformance-size-price.11209/page-5#post-411513

If you want to tart a vehicle up to have a transaction price 220% over the entry level MSRP, that's entirely your choice. But to somehow equate that to being overpriced then it's your purchasing choices which have made it overpriced.

As to the only part of your "statement" which isn't utter poppycock, I am not telling you what the top is or is not made from, nor am I telling you the engineering version Ford is using. I'm presenting some possible materials into consideration which might have been used.

I'll point out that an actual conversation about materials based on real-world facts and reality instead of the "what do my friends think about me?" urinal tape-measurement feelings you keep bringing up, is vastly more helpful.

Hey, I get it though, you need to tell your buddies you spent $62,000 on a mass-produced Ford. COOL!

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics giphy[1]
I honestly donā€™t even know why we are arguing. You are obviously very knowledgeable in the physics/science of this top.

I am strictly speaking from the perspective of the end consumer. Yes, this vehicle price may be reasonable and not something to brag about. However, it is a stretch for me, and I (right or wrong) expect more from my ā€˜lay personā€™ point of view.

As I was taught early on, perception is reality, and the perception of seeing a core of cardboard with the thinnest possible coating frustrates me.

Either you like to argue, find me to be a simpleton or work for Webasto, lets just go our separate ways.

Peace.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

If you zoom in and look carefully you can see how the cardboard is infused with a protective resin of some type. This at least validates it is not plain raw soggy cardboard and will at least handle some amount of humidity.

This has nothing to do with the raw unfinished edges that WILL separate/delaminate from water and freezing.

Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics Image (4)~3

Sponsored

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hello! My store recently replaced a MIC 1.0 top for one of our customers, and part of the replacement process required us to cut up the old top panels. Would anyone be interested in seeing the inside of the MIC top?

Edit: Below are some pictures that I took of the MIC 1.0. After inspecting the top and seeing just how thin that outer shell is, I can see why the honeycomb structure of the top was showing through when exposed to extreme heat/moisture.

View attachment 200196
View attachment 200197
View attachment 200198
View attachment 200199
View attachment 200200
Looks like honey bees got in there and made a hive. It might have been better if they had. šŸ˜ āœŒ

sgraing1

Black Diamond
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Black Diamond.A Bunch More Junk.
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't give a shit about the material in the middle.I just want the material on both sides to be thick enough to be strong, stable,durable,and completely and forever cover up the shit in the middle.
It's as simple as that.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Making a wild guess you don't deal in raw material very often.

https://store.acpcomposites.com/aramid-honeycomb-core-standard-cell?quantity=1&size=6

Not to mention sheet prices of aluminum, boron and steel are all up exponentially.

http://steelbenchmarker.com/history.pdf

20 years ago you used to be able to get steel for a penny a pound. But this isn't the year 2000 and if we wanted to use your outdated standards, it's a $40,000 vehicle.

Oops, the real world checked in. Things are expensive. Price of cars has been stagnant for decades.
Are you suggesting that we have been experiencing inflation over the past 20 years, that's non-sense... ;)

Sponsored

Rubicon 2 Badlands

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKU Rubicon / 2021 Bronco: Badlands/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Need a 2.0 cut open. Anyone want to volunteer theirs? :D
I would but changed my order to a soft-top. I just wanted to get something to drive this year. Wonder how the Painted Mod-Tops will be constructed.

Kuze

Wildtrak
First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G63
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I plan to wrap my MIC hardtop in hopes that the wrap will cover the edges and seal it so rain/humidity doesn't go inside the MIC top.
I was hoping some of these folks at SEMA would have had a HardTop solution already!

LowerSlowerDelaware

Base
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback, Chevy S10 Ram 3500
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford Motor Company right now.
Ford Bronco MIC Top 1.0 inside construction & material (cross section) - pics Image (4)~3
I'm sorry but this is B.S.!

If Ford Motor Company could actually "stare motherfuckerly" than there would have been no problems with Webastards' MIC 1.0 top and Dirt Mountain would not have existed.

WildTrak

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm sorry but this is B.S.!

If Ford Motor Company could actually "stare motherfuckerly" than there would have been no problems with Webastards' MIC 1.0 top and Dirt Mountain would not have existed.
Frickin hilarious