First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What's the point of these TINY fkng engines with such HORRIBLE MPG? its no wonder why Ford was trying to hide these numbers until the very last moments.
They are geared and set up to make higher torque so therefore the Gas mlage suffers. If they had them geared for gas milage and smaller tires they would get larger MPG numbers.
Sponsored

BlazinGTO

Badlands
First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 GTO M6 2004 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do we know for sure the diff gears on all the manual trans models having the 2.3L engine? Reason I ask is because the base manual is reported to have 4.46 diff gears and 30 inch tires. (I might be slightly off on that.)

In contrast, the Sas has 35 inch tires. It's hard for me to believe going from 30 to 35 tires, will only see a small diff gear change from 4.46 to 4.7. That small diff change will not maintain comparable RPM/speed between the two model versions. I am curious if we will see diff gears in the 5.x range for the eventual Sas 2.3L manuals.

As for the BD 2.3L manual, I assume it will have the 4.7 diff gears. That could account for some of the worse fuel mpg.
4.46 and 4.7 are the only 2 options for manual. You are correct the base get the 4.46 gearing with the manual and 30 inch tires while squatch is 4.7 with 35s.

So yeah, there would be an rpm difference if a sasquatch manual existed. 5.xx may be true.

Black diamond manual transmission is 4.46 though. Only the Badlands gets the 4.7 gearing with the manual.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2011 F150 Lariat crew 4x4 5.0 auto weighs in at 5700 lbs and it gets 19 to 23 depending on drive type and load.
My huge 2019 Silverado 5.3, 4 X 4 Double Cab, 6 speed automatic (2018 Body style) averages almost 24- all highway 52-60 MPH back roads commute to work. Granted it has 20" wheels with more or less street tires but the wheels are freaking HEAVY. So it gets respectable MPG.

So yes have to wonder if the Bronco would have done better with a 5.0 V8.

I am going to be on a retirement budget with the new Bronco- it was going to be my last vehicle. So 17 MPG is a concern for me.......

Cjensen651

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Gonna have to grab that $500 toon

Username_not_found

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat 500 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My huge 2019 Silverado 5.3, 4 X 4 Double Cab, 6 speed automatic (2018 Body style) averages almost 24- all highway 52-60 MPH back roads commute to work. Granted it has 20" wheels with more or less street tires but the wheels are freaking HEAVY. So it gets respectable MPG.

So yes have to wonder if the Bronco would have done better with a 5.0 V8.

I am going to be on a retirement budget with the new Bronco- it was going to be my last vehicle. So 17 MPG is a concern for me.......
If you're doing 52-60mph all highway I am positive your mileage will be above epa estimate

Sponsored

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That's why so many people want a V8, what's the difference if you're going to get the same mileage anyway. Well, the difference is where/when in the rpm range you'll have how much power. Put a small motor on a 5000 lbs truck and wonder why it doesn't move until you mash the pedal and are in full boost. It's going to use a lot of fuel.
A V8 would be even worse. Look at the 392 Wrangler. 14 combined. The 5.0L might be good for 15 combined in a squatch.

NAP51DMustang

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nun-ya
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Every reply you got didn't get your question.

My understanding is that the 2.3 has to work harder with the added weight of the BD. It stays in boost more often and gets poor fuel economy.
With the 2.7, the added weight doesn't affect it as much and can run at a lower rpm and boost less often.
Except the 2.3 AT BL vs the 2.7 AT BL have the same mpg.

buzpro

Outer Banks
First Name
Binky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They are geared and set up to make higher torque so therefore the Gas mlage suffers. If they had them geared for gas mileage and smaller tires they would get larger MPG numbers.
what pisses me off is the dishonesty that Ford put on full display, as if it was not going to show up ...... we know Ford had these numbers way ahead of launch and Ford knew that competing with Jeep meant having to keep this whole MPG thing a secret until it leaks out

My 06 Tacoma can tow 6500 lbs and is just as capable off road, gets better MPG!

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
A V8 would be even worse. Look at the 392 Wrangler. 14 combined. The 5.0L might be good for 15 combined in a squatch.
Not necessarily.

Ecobeast

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do the knobby tires on the Sas contribute to the lowest MPG? It seems the right gearing is in place, so is it strictly the 35" tires causing the lower MPG or tread pattern or both? Will switching to a smoother tread pattern help?

The best MPG combo seems to be 2.3 and manual. 20/22 is not that bad considering for example my 97 TJ with the 4.0 has only 180 HP and nets between 16 and 18 MPG. So having 270 HP and a whole lot more torque on tap and increased MPG is nice. Has me thinking to cancel my Sas order and get base 2.3 with manual.

I will add that in most all of my vehicles with manual transmission I far exceed the EPA for mileage (exception only my current Wrangler). So I am really liking the manual more even if it means having small tires if I can squeeze out say 25 or 26 MPG.
Unless you put skateboard wheels on there and drive downhill with a strong wind at your back you won’t get 25mpg in the bronco. I get about 22 in my ranger FX4 with stock wheels and 30.5” tires. The ranger tremor with 32s gets about 19-20.

Sponsored

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah it doesn't make sense. Ford started this trend well before turbo's tho, with the Triton engines being smaller than their predecessors. 5.0 to a 4.6, 5.8 to the 5.4 etc. Then even newer engines, 3.7 going to a 3.5 and then a 3.3L. I think it's just to pacify the government? Looks better to some politician that these smaller engines produce less emissions, when it's just not reality. It's like between 2008-2012 when they upped MPG requirements for the future while simultaneously requiring a higher ethanol blend which hurts mpg. Sounded like getting your cake and eating it to someone in DC. Too good to be true? Absolutely.

Sometimes it works, my old plow truck was a '91 f250 5.0 auto 4x4 4.10 l/s. It had less than 200hp, it struggled on long grades loaded and lost speed. I got 3-4 MPG plowing with it for over 20 years, half that with a new engine and transmission. in 2019 I replaced it with a '97 f150 4.6 auto 4x4 3.55 l/s with a GVWR within a couple hundred pounds of the old brick nose. The new(er) F-150 runs circles around the old truck holding the same snow plow and weight in the bed. It has more than enough power, can gain speed on long hills and gets 5.5-7 MPG doing the exact same work.

Now comparing N/A V8 engines to turbo 4/6 cylinder engines is apples to oranges. but the 4.6 stock for stock is a better engine than the truck 5.0 of the 90s. I say this as a lover of the original 302 and I still have one in my '97 Explorer.

Stanley Crewell

Outer Banks
First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Mountaineer, Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
My 2007 Mountaineer 4.6 that has comparable weight gets 17 city and 22 highway and that's with 215,000+ miles. Also has towing capacity of 7500lbs. Was hoping that with 14+ years more technology the numbers would be better. I don't have a lot of confidence in getting that type of miles out of a turbo engine.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
what pisses me off is the dishonesty that Ford put on full display, as if it was not going to show up ...... we know Ford had these numbers way ahead of launch and Ford knew that competing with Jeep meant having to keep this whole MPG thing a secret until it leaks out

My 06 Tacoma can tow 6500 lbs and is just as capable off road, gets better MPG!
2006 Tacoma double cab is listed 18/22 mpg. And that might be with small 215/70 R15 tire size. I don't see that Tacoma as equipped besting Bronco off-road, or getting much better mileage if similarly equipped as Bronco.

MPG was a consideration for me, and I was hoping for the 20 mpg mark. Ford seems to have hit that. I'm surprised people thought it would be significantly higher. How you going to get 25+ mpg from a relatively non-aero high clearance vehicle, especially if adding larger tires and related gearing.
Sponsored