First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
2 vs 4 door seems a key, because there can be nearly a 1000 lbs difference in weight between the base 2-door and loaded 4-door models. And you don't get to cart around 1000 lbs without some negative impact on mpg and overall performance.
My favorite, Jets pineapple pizza, is 300 calories per slice and I eat 2 1/2 slices. I tell you this, because if I am going to blow 750 calories on pizza, I look for the biggest slices I can get.
Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My favorite, Jets pineapple pizza, is 300 calories per slice and I eat 2 1/2 slices. I tell you this, because if I am going to blow 750 calories on pizza, I look for the biggest slices I can get.
I eat same pizza slice with only 100 calories. And my old V8 gets 25 mpg. Physics. ;)

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The engine is one small piece of towing capability. The 2.7 is way more capable than the 4.0, and honestly the 2.3 spanks it too.
But not.in EPA mpg mileage which is what this thread is about. The point is a 2.3 or 2.7 should be getting better MILEAGE than 15 - 20 year old tech.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Tacoma TRD (Toyota Racing Development) 4dr has a 4.0 L naturally aspirated V6 engine and is plenty capable off road with R16 wheels .... don't you think the TINY 2.7L engine should produce better MPG?? if not, then why even make a small engine that gives you the same MPG?
I think we should talk apples to apples. My reply was regarding your statements about the 2006 Tacoma. I gave benefit of the doubt with a lower down model, but if we look at the better equipped 4x4 6cyl auto then it's 16/20 mpg. No great shakes, and I think that's with only 31" tires.

R16 wheels? That doesn't mean much without knowing tire size. You can have many different sized tires on an R16 wheel. And mpg should be compared rated to rated (and using same calc method).

There are some mpg claims in this thread that are questionable. That's not uncommon, like fish stories.

I'm actually someone who cares about mpg, posted about it in the past, and predicted just above 20mpg, and wrote I would be satisfied with that. And well, the Bronco mpg figures are mostly what I expected and in my opinion reasonable.

I think we have to wait for electric to see a big increase in effective mpg for this type of vehicle, looking forward to that someday.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

and yet it can tow 3500 lbs while the 15 yr old dog turd can tow 6500 ..... WOW how ignorant!!
It took seconds for me to Google how much the F-150 tows with the 2.7L engine, and I've attached the document in case you don't believe me. It's 10,100lbs. The Bronco's tow cap is NOT limited by the engine choices. We've had a really good handle on this since last summer.

And yet, there are still people like you on here inexplicably spouting this asinine horseshit. How ignorant indeed. Is it shame that you have none of, or is it pride?

Attachments

Sponsored

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well this is disappointing. My 17' Tacoma OR DCSB no lift, regular size tires I think is epa 18 city, 23 hwy, I think weighs about 4500 lbs. The way I drive I get about 16. Looks like a 4 door OB 2.7 non-sasquatch Bronco will be over 4700 lbs and be rated 18 city, 20 hwy? So if i wind up getting one and drive about the same I'll get maybe 14 mpg? I don't really care that much financially, no big deal, but as others have said I was wondering if maybe those small turbo motors would work some magic? I guess not. Not sure I really see the point of the small turbo motors; except I guess at higher elevations they should be better. Those motors seem like a very questionable decision. I'm one of those who've never been really sold on the Bronco, its taken a step down to me. Probably wait and see what else comes out.

alivecchi003

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kia Optima
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I reserved in early October, 2 Door, Cyber Orange, Badlands, LUX, Non Squatch, Manual tran, 2.3 liter, tow package, MIC top. I finalized my order on March 19th, and was told i would have a estimate in May. YIKES. I am just praying my vehicle is here before New Years. Fingers crossed!!
You reserved in October? You realize half this site reserved the day of the launch in July or the day after right?

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You reserved in October? You realize half this site reserved the day of the launch in July or the day after right?
About a third actually per a dealer or two, but the point is valid enough on managing expectations.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Real world with a turbo and a full vehicle these numbers are likely to be off a mile or two. So 15mpg will be pretty common for wildtrack, badlands, black diamond and sasquatch. I get 14mpg on my 19 stock power wagon with the 6.4 hemi (granted its on 33"s) for comparison. If you don't get those off-road trims on a bronco, you really don't have much of an off-road vehicle a d it opens up a ton of competing vehicles that can perform similarly on and off-road with much better fuel economy.

Add in the tiny fuel tank significantly reducing range and the longevity issues and repair costs of turbo engines over naturally aspirated and I become less impressed.

Ford could have done two things that would make this way more palatable for many people.

1. Offer a naturally aspirated option even if it lowered a mpg or two.

2. Been proactive and offered a powerboost hybrid to compete with Jeep 4xE or gone full electric like the lightening.

Frustrating to see both old (NA engines) and new (electric/hybrid) options being arguably better and yet not offered.

Going to be real interesting to see how much this hurts sales to the soccer mom crowd if gas prices keep rising. Especially once the rollout year hype wears off.

I think Ford is going to need to bring the electric/hybrid option sooner than later to maintain momentum.

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Frustrating to see both old (NA engines) and new (electric/hybrid) options being arguably better and yet not offered.
I haven't seen an argument for how an NA engine would be better. What available NA engine would be better suited for moving 5k lbs, and providing lots of low-end torque? The 5.0 ain't it.

Also I would love a hybrid version, but the bronco is already very expensive and heavy for what it is. I don't think I would want one that weighs more and costs more.

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I haven't seen an argument for how an NA engine would be better. What available NA engine would be better suited for moving 5k lbs, and providing lots of low-end torque? The 5.0 ain't it.

Also I would love a hybrid version, but the bronco is already very expensive and heavy for what it is. I don't think I would want one that weighs more and costs more.
"Better" is subjective of course. I would trade a mpg or two lower for a NA engine. I just trust the longevity and real world performance better. There are plenty of F150 data showing the 5.0 mpgs aren't much worse than the ecoboosts. I just like the simplicity and longevity of naturally aspirated. A mini 7.3 Godzilla is what I would like to see dropped in.

The weight is a concern for sure on a hybrid/electric but both Jeep 4XE and Ford F150 powerboost have figured it out. I would personally trade a few extra pounds for the option. I also would love to see a full size bronco which may make a hybrid more feasible due to extra space for batteries.

I think a F150 powerboost hybrid that has an electric only option like the Jeep 4XE with a bit more all electric range would be perfect. Then you could run all electric around town and on the trails and then also use the batteries as a generator for camp. I think we are only a year or two away for some legitimate electric/hybrid competitors so it makes me hesitant to jump in on the current offerings. Not to mention the tax credits and rising gas prices.

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
"Better" is subjective of course. I would trade a mpg or two lower for a NA engine. I just trust the longevity and real world performance better. There are plenty of F150 data showing the 5.0 mpgs aren't much worse than the ecoboosts. I just like the simplicity and longevity of naturally aspirated. A mini 7.3 Godzilla is what I would like to see dropped in.

The weight is a concern for sure on a hybrid/electric but both Jeep 4XE and Ford F150 powerboost have figured it out. I would personally trade a few extra pounds for the option. I also would love to see a full size bronco which may make a hybrid more feasible due to extra space for batteries.

I think a F150 powerboost hybrid that has an electric only option like the Jeep 4XE with a bit more all electric range would be perfect. Then you could run all electric around town and on the trails and then also use the batteries as a generator for camp. I think we are only a year or two away for some legitimate electric/hybrid competitors so it makes me hesitant to jump in on the current offerings. Not to mention the tax credits and rising gas prices.
If weight and cost didn't matter I would love a 7.3 hybrid lol.

KGRoberts

Badlands
First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Chevelle
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s all about the gearing.