Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Grand Cherokee, 2008 Suzuki B-King
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guess is that 'Warthog' was intended to be the high-performance versions of the new 'Bronco' brand to differentiate it from Ford. Somewhere, some marketing guy convinced the right person that the name Raptor needed to be used instead to tie it into the Ford brand. Does anyone know if Ford still intends on building out the Bronco brand as its own thing, like Jeep? I know in the beginning they were pushing dealers to build separate buildings for Bronco specific vehicles. That may have been undone with their decision to axe the Bronco truck though.
Sponsored

sfonteno

Wildtrak
First Name
Seth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
No doubt the same marketing geniuses who decided to water down the Mustang name with the Mach-E, and the same marketing geniuses who decided to water down the Bronco name with the Bronco Sport.

Herb
I bet you are a blast at parties........

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
But the Raptor name is far better for overall name recognition for the Ford brand, since the F-150 and Ranger used it.

I like the idea of using the Warthog name on a product in between the Raptor and Badland though..maybe all the Raptor stuff (maybe not fenders) and just use the 2.7L or 2.3L
One negative Iā€™ve found with the naming is anytime I run a search for parts for my Raptor (F150) it pulls up all the bronco parts as well. And when I search for Bronco parts, it pulls up the Bronco Sport. Itā€™s sort of a PITA.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

No doubt the same marketing geniuses who decided to water down the Mustang name with the Mach-E, and the same marketing geniuses who decided to water down the Bronco name with the Bronco Sport.

Herb
The same geniuses that used "Lightning" for an electric truck.

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Exterior colors and vehicle names are the Achilles heel of the Ford motor company. The Bronco Sport should have been the Maverick. The Maverick should have been the Ranchero. As for the exterior color options, the person who has final approval must be blind.

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I was too, then thought I would add my 2 cents while here.

Honestly to me they are BRAPTORS, but eh.

Gotta roll the R so it does sound like an A-10...
BRRRRRRRRRRRRAPTOR šŸ˜…

Sherminiator

Big Bend
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

My guess is that 'Warthog' was intended to be the high-performance versions of the new 'Bronco' brand to differentiate it from Ford. Somewhere, some marketing guy convinced the right person that the name Raptor needed to be used instead to tie it into the Ford brand. Does anyone know if Ford still intends on building out the Bronco brand as its own thing, like Jeep? I know in the beginning they were pushing dealers to build separate buildings for Bronco specific vehicles. That may have been undone with their decision to axe the Bronco truck though.
The Warthog was the internal development name for what became the Bronco Raptor. Just like all the different high performance versions of the Mustang that where named Terminator and other names that became the GT500 or GT350 when they came to market.

The Bronco name as a sub brand is still a thing-as much as people make fun of it here, the Bronco Sport is still a Bronco. The Bronco dealer/building thing was dealer specific and just an addon, not a stand alone.

There are other Broncos coming, but I don't think a pickup is because its already covered by the Ranger and the Gladiator isn't selling all that great anyways. You might see an EV Bronco, but that won't be till the end of the decade, at the earliest.

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

"Miniature" for the 2dr? Hell no! "Buck", "Bull", even "Clydesdale" in a bind for lack of creativity, but miniature....no sir!
I love the 2 door name "mini"
lol

duel007

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4-door Bronco Badlands Lux Non-Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless the car looks like this, I am completely uninterested in it.

download.jpg
It looks more like a puma to me.

Source for the uninformed:

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Have you seen a warthog? One of the ugliest animals ever. Even the name--wart plus hog--ugly. If Ford wasn't going to use a horse name, then Raptor made the most sense. All the good horse names were taken. What else is there beside Mustang and Bronco? Steed? Ford is developing the Raptor into its own "brand". It makes more sense to have everything Raptor instead of everything different or some things Raptor and other things something else. When you hear Raptor, you know what that is. You don't have to be trained that all these other names are "like the Raptor." Must because Raptor was F150-exclusive for a while doesn't mean it had to be that way. </end free marketing lesson>

Also, manufacturers use code names for products all of the time. It may be that Ford never intended to use Warthog. Or may they did for a while, heard the negative feedback, started to think of alternatives, realized there were no good horse names, and finally someone said, "Why not Raptor?"šŸ™‚
"All the good horse names were taken. What else is there beside Mustang and Bronco?"

Maybe license this name from Hasbro? :)

Ford Bronco Official Ford WARTHOG Package BroncoRaptorPonyJum

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't care for Warthog or Raptor. Bronco Warthog or Bronco Raptor sounds like one of those randomly selected military operations back in the day, e.g. Operation Bronco Warthog.

Now, Bronco Wild I could get behind. At least the words seem to go together.

1st 75th ranger

Black Diamond
First Name
jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ford bronco bd 4 dr sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This package from Ford reads ā€œWARTHOG BEAUTY RING KITā€.

I am convinced WARTHOG was going to be the official name for Bronco Raptor.
Too many documents, labels, and packages that reference WARTHOG for it to have simply been a code name.
Ford themselves even filed a patent for WARTHOG prior to the release.

When people hear RAPTOR, they immediately think of the F-150 truck, not Bronco.
Case in point, if this package read, ā€œRAPTOR BEAUTY RING KITā€ you would have no idea which Raptor vehicle it is for (F-150? Ranger? or Bronco?)

The Warthog name suits the Bronco so much better than Raptor.
Ranger Raptor is ok since it is a truck, but Bronco Raptor should have been called WARTHOG.

A missed opportunity on Fordā€™s part.

was to be called a warthog focus groups thought it was like a war ship lol
name was so much better then braptor thats just dumb

Chadillac

Base
First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Like others have said, the Warthog name has been attached to Braptor development and material since extremely early on. I too donā€™t like the Raptor name attached to the Bronco, but I also donā€™t really care for the Braptor as a whole. Imo itā€™s the misfit of the bunchā€¦ A better ā€œwarthogā€ wouldā€™ve been a factory outfitted & armored Badlands/Everglades combo on 37s.

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As much as I would have loved the Warthog name, the marketers at Ford made a the better call. They're not just selling to gearheads who obsess over every Bronco model. They're after everyone, including those who aren't Ford experts. Raptor has become brand wide performance designation, just like TRD Pro, M, AMG etc. The Raptor name is so well-known that even if you only vaguely know about the F-150 Raptor, you'll have a pretty good idea of what a ______ Raptor is without knowing the specifics. Using Raptor speaks to a wide audience, which is the move in the world of marketing.

This is coming from someone who would replace the raptor label with "WARTHOG" and the Bucking bronco with pig, if I had a Braptor.
Going to say here that you are correct as far as thatā€™s how things went down; marketing stiffs, but Iā€™ll challenge you on one aspect.

A Raptor, or in this case, Warthog arenā€™t for the masses. These are enthusiast vehicles or ā€haloā€ cars, much like the BMW M///. BMW doesnā€™t expect or want every lease shill to buy an M///, why not? Because they kill the cool of them since they canā€™t drive and donā€™t look or act the part.

Raptors are everywhere and hardly any are actually used as such; thatā€™s not good for marketing.

What made the Bullitt Mustang cool back in the day wasnā€™t the car, but the guy who was driving it in the movie. McQeen made other guys want to be him or be/look like him. No one wants to look or be the suburban finance exec with the dad bod and balding; even that guy himself, because heā€™s not cool.

The halo cars are for the gearheads, desert runners, and wheelers. Why is that? Because everyone else thinks theyā€˜re cool and will want a Bronco or F-150. Same goes for Motorsport and race car drivers.

So, if Warthog sounds nasty and different, that is a selling point. Sure, Iā€™m wrong from a marketing standpoint, but Warthog with the pig would have been much cooler than a dang dinosaur from a kids movie.

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

But the Raptor name is far better for overall name recognition for the Ford brand, since the F-150 and Ranger used it.

I like the idea of using the Warthog name on a product in between the Raptor and Badland though..maybe all the Raptor stuff (maybe not fenders) and just use the 2.7L or 2.3L
I think that's exactly the point. The message from Ford seemed to be that Raptor was their brand for off-roader, so they didn't want to confuse that with Warthog. But just like "Cobra" etc, I don't think it would have been an issue.

I think the move here would have been to keep the Raptor name with the trucks for the F150 and Ranger, and then begin using Warthog on SUV off-roaders like the Bronco. They could have even done a Warthog Sport on the Bronco Sport. But that probably created a parts issue with the Bronco and Ranger being on the same line. Who knows... They still have it in their back pocket and could still use it one day.
Sponsored