Sponsored

Oil Change/Filter Post (Put on Your Flak Jacket)

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Quick questions: My plan was to change my 2023 Bronco Heritage Edition's (2.3L) oil at 1,000 miles at the break-in point using the OEM filter and the Ford Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. At 5,000 miles and every 5,000 miles thereafter, my plan was to switch to the Motorcraft Full Synthetic and to explore using a higher-capacity oil filter such as the Motorcraft FL-400S high capacity oil filter versus the OEM FL-910-S filter. I undertand that there are hugely varying opinions about oil types and filter change intervals. My sole question is whether there would be any potential harmful effects from this approach? I may also be doing the Ford Performance Tune for the 2.3 Ecobosst so I just see this as extra added insurance as I plan on holding on to this car for quite a while. Thanks in advance for your feedback!

/Rich
Sponsored

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My sole question is whether there would be any potential harmful effects from this approach?
No. You can change it as frequently as you’d like. As long as it has the correct amount of oil and a filter, it’ll be perfectly fine. Oil and filter type isn’t going to make a difference regardless of what anyone claims.
Unlikely the FL400 will make any noticeable difference compared to the FL910, but if it makes you feel better than go for it.

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I took a similar approach and changed at about 1500miles, 5k and then every 5k after that. Plenty will chime in with that new motors don't require a break-in change but I figured it can't hurt and costs minimal dollars. Not sure about the filter differences so have no comment there except I will look into it more for my own educational purposes. As far as oil, I stick with the recommended Motorcraft Synthetic blend. I have used the same interval and oil on my F150 3.5 EB and am about to hit 150k trouble free miles.

M7 23

Black Diamond
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Full synthetics if you go with longer change intervals. Blends for recommended intervals and shorter.

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I went with a 1L change, full synthetic, and will go by the oil life monitor from now on. Everyone wants to argue over oil brand/type and filter brands, but when was the last time you heard of an engine failure due to the oil as long as it is being changed regularly-ish?

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I went with a 1L change, full synthetic, and will go by the oil life monitor from now on. Everyone wants to argue over oil brand/type and filter brands, but when was the last time you heard of an engine failure due to the oil as long as it is being changed regularly-ish?
Yep. I get a kick out of the oil/filter brand arguments. I have used a certain filter and oil brand (which will get flamed on those threads) for about 40 years and have not had a failure of a lubricated part or even oil consumption (on a vehicle I purchased that didn't have oil consumption when purchased) in those years.

On the Bronco I do use a Ford filter since I'm paranoid about warranty claim denial since joining this forum.

I also don't really understand getting an oil analysis. If something shows up whatta yaa gonna do about it, rebuild a perfectly functioning engine? No probably not. My son sent a sample to a well known lab, suspecting a dealer may have added ATF to the crankcase (long story). The lab reported they couldn't tell due to the similar "viscosity profile" of ATF and Mobil 1 5-20...really?

OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Thanks for the replies thus far!

cbrenthus

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 BadSquatch, '02 T/A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yep. I get a kick out of the oil/filter brand arguments. I have used a certain filter and oil brand (which will get flamed on those threads)
Oh, you use THAT brand of oil and filter?!?! pfffff your engine is going to blow!!!

*secretly uses the same oil and filter brands, but won't admit to it publicly ;)

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You plan looks fine.

Check my started threads, I did some comparos on different 2.3 filters. I'm running a massive 20k Mobile 1 filter right now and kept it for two oil changes.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As someone who works in auto service, heres my 2 cents. First off if you dont use the correct oil filter they can potentially deny a warranty claim, even though theres no real difference. Second you can never change your oil too often. Most manufacturers these days say 10-15k mile intervals. While this may be recommended with synthetic oils its till not good for the engine long term. We do more timing chain services around 100k (all brands). And lastly, the manufacturer doesnt want you to keep your car long term or else they'd lose money. Ive stuck to a strict 5k interval with motorcraft synthetic blend and mc filter for my last 3 fords over the last 10yrs and not once had an engine issue.

Sponsored
OP
OP
rcl4668

rcl4668

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As someone who works in auto service, heres my 2 cents. First off if you dont use the correct oil filter they can potentially deny a warranty claim, even though theres no real difference. Second you can never change your oil too often. Most manufacturers these days say 10-15k mile intervals. While this may be recommended with synthetic oils its till not good for the engine long term. We do more timing chain services around 100k (all brands). And lastly, the manufacturer doesnt want you to keep your car long term or else they'd lose money. Ive stuck to a strict 5k interval with motorcraft synthetic blend and mc filter for my last 3 fords over the last 10yrs and not once had an engine issue.
Thanks Chris! Based on your feedback I will plan on sticking with the OEM FL-910-S oil filter but making the switch to full synthetic oil.

ChrisB351

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Bronco, 2005 ZX6r, 1993 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As for the oil you can use synthetic with no worries but do not go down, i.e. conventional oil. And be sure to use recommend grade as well. IMO changing it every 5k full synthetic isnt necessary. Still wont hurt tho.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I also don't really understand getting an oil analysis. If something shows up whatta yaa gonna do about it, rebuild a perfectly functioning engine? No probably not. My son sent a sample to a well known lab, suspecting a dealer may have added ATF to the crankcase (long story). The lab reported they couldn't tell due to the similar "viscosity profile" of ATF and Mobil 1 5-20...really?
There are three main benefits to having your oil analyzed...

1) You can find out if you're oil change intervals are a good match to your driving habits. It will tell you how much "cleaning potential" remains in your oil. As long as there's enough cleaning potential, you could go longer between oil changes.

2) And this is a big one... Fuel dilution. All oil will end up with fuel in it. Fuel is a great cleaning agent but a terrible lubricant. As your engine wears, your fuel dilution can go up, which means you may have to change your oil more often.

3) And believe it or not, testing the metals in your engine oil can give you a heads up about something significant going wrong. I know there was at least one story I read where guys test results return much higher levels of aluminum than it should have. It caused the person to do a little bit of diagnosing, and come to find out a timing chain guide was wearing out, and his timing chain was rubbing against the cover wearing off aluminum. He's able to fix it fairly inexpensively before significant damage.

I'm not suggesting you do oil testing constantly. But having your oil tested once or twice and 100k miles isn't a bad idea. It cost about the same as an oil change and can pay for itself if it allows you to stretch out your oil intervals.

OrangecrushBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh, you use THAT brand of oil and filter?!?! pfffff your engine is going to blow!!!

*secretly uses the same oil and filter brands, but won't admit to it publicly ;)
And some of those folks also have 20 year old Air filters with bird nests in them. Lol.

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This might be worth watching.
Sponsored