• Poll closed .

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Tremor 7.3, 21 Badlands Sasquatch Stick(order)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Few people between the manufacturer and the customer will lead to lower prices or greater net income. ALL of the Tesla owners that I know love their cars and had a very easy purchase experience.

Perhaps one day we will find out.
No it won’t. The manufacturer will set the price. There will be no dealer competition. No driving 20 miles or to the next state for the best price. If the Bronco will sell at $80k the manufacturer will set the price at $80k. It won’t matter if they built it for $30k.

The only thing that keeps Tesla alive if the grants and government/state subsidies. You won’t have those with Ford.
Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

i got xplan from my dealer, would not have gotten that direct, so I'd do it that way again. But in a way I did order it online, never spoke to the dealer until months after ordering, all via e-mail. So kind of a hybrid in my case.

If only direct from Ford (like Tesla) there would never be any deals, everyone pays the same price set by the manufacturer - where ever they fell like setting it. Who's to say they'd not have cranked up the price by 10k? Right now they can't get all that extra money shady dealers are raking in. Stock holders would most likely want a slice of that pie if it became available....

Bit of a careful what you wish for scenario I think.

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How soon it is forgotten how vehicles could be bought off the lot or ordered “ way under MSRP” via the dealer system. Unfortunately for us all, the Bronco arrived in the middle of this world wide fiasco, and it is a highly sought after vehicle. Yes, Ford ,for whatever financial, business or legal reason changed the reservation rules mid stream. However, I am confident if they had their way, they would have much rather been able to build every reservation and fill the lots in order to meet the demand. Straight from the factory pricing has its benefit, but so does buying from a dealership when the consumer has leverage.
Ford gets the same amount of money for each Bronco sold to a dealer, no? They are selling each one they can make. So no advantage either way to Ford.

Ergo, Ford chose to destroy the reservation system for reasons other than financial. Since Ford set up the allocation system and decided what metrics would be used in it, I think it very likely it was a 'good ol' boys' kind of deal with their preferred dealers. Not much else leaps to mind when considering any other motivation. Ford chose their preferred dealers over the reservation holders.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only thing that keeps Tesla alive if the grants and government/state subsidies. You won’t have those with Ford.
have they started to actually make money from the cars? Biggest income used to be the 'carbon credits' they got to sell to Ford and others. The more those companies make their own electric, the less they will buy from Tesla, so Musk better see that they actually make money from the cars.
Might have changed by now, I don't care for Tesla and don't follow what they do, but for the longest time they didn't make a penny from building and selling cars as far as I know.

OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

So far the preference towards dealers have hovered ~10%. That's surprising. What's more surprising is everyone saying they get better deals from dealers than they would from Ford. No matter what, we are paying more for the car than the dealer did so when people say they got a good deal because it's lower than MSRP, you still have middlemen making money. No matter what, we all pay for the middlemen. So when you pay less, that's how much MSRP is already jacked up. Those dealers are not losing money. Ideally, the middlemen provide a service to warrant that additional cost.

My problem is we have no choice, we have to use a dealer regardless if we want the service they provide. Even though I have never paid MSRP or above, Bronco included, I would just as much order what I want and not deal with dealers.

For those guys that said they were in and out in under 30 minutes, please tell me how. My Bronco was pre-negotiated and I still lost 3 hours there.

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So far the preference towards dealers have hovered ~10%. That's surprising. What's more surprising is everyone saying they get better deals from dealers than they would from Ford. No matter what, we are paying more for the car than the dealer did so when people say they got a good deal because it's lower than MSRP, you still have middlemen making money. No matter what, we all pay for the middlemen. So when you pay less, that's how much MSRP is already jacked up. Those dealers are not losing money. Ideally, the middlemen provide a service to warrant that additional cost.

My problem is we have no choice, we have to use a dealer regardless if we want the service they provide. Even though I have never paid MSRP or above, Bronco included, I would just as much order what I want and not deal with dealers.

For those guys that said they were in and out in under 30 minutes, please tell me how. My Bronco was pre-negotiated and I still lost 3 hours there.
You do not know the dealer business that well. Many dealers, lose money in new car sales. I had one friend who owned his dealer for 20 years. Every year he lost money on new car sales. Every year he made a profit though.

I’ve been in and out in 30 min before. But the paperwork was all done ahead of time. I showed up, signed the paper, wrote the check and was out. It was the end of the day, small dealer they made it quick and easy.

It’s easy. Without the middleman you pay what the manufacturer says. As someone who’s never paid what the manufacturer suggest, you would be paying that every time. No more deals for you.

If you pay $80k one day the. The manufacturer cuts the price to $70k tomorrow you are out of luck. Yes Tesla has done this. Made a lot of recent buyers pissed!

RClark82

Base
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 F150, 2008 F150, 2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base

*Disclaimer, I do not work in the auto industry

Where do you work? Can your employment be bypassed for a lower price? Think about how many jobs could.....

Manufacturers will not lower the price if your buying direct. I worked in retail for 20+ years and watched product shift from the dealer model to more consumer direct. Specifically in cycling and running. When a brand sells direct they just make more money, no discount is passed onto the customer.

Landed cost (produced and shipped to a warehouse) of a pair of shoes is maybe $30

Wholesale to my store would be $60

Retail in my store would be $100

Direct to consumer price is still $100

Middle men is where a ton of employment in the USA comes from. If a store makes a little money from taking the risk of stocking inventory for my convenience and providing a service I'm good with it.

I'd rather give a small business owner in my community money than a huge corporation. The cash is likely to stay local and help another business.

Those with no appreciation for service and only have a concern for rock bottom price either don't think about where a lot of paychecks come from or have zero compassion for someone else making a living.

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just told my sales guy that I'm not interested in any warranty or what ever ad ons and we're paying cash. Only took maybe 45 min because we had to wait for the finance lady to be done with a customer in front of us. All in all, finance was maybe 15-20 min and before we filled out some paper to both be on the title, an other couple min. Got the keys and drove away. Price and all was set up front.

As for the "dealer is a middle man", yes, but I don't think Ford's stock holders would let Ford just continue with "invoice" price to the public, they'd want that nice extra profit that the dealers packed before. And probably then some, with popular models. Highest price possible, so with direct sales I don't see any 'better prices' for us as customers. And no discounts and 4ht of July sales and all that stuff. Just don't think we'd be better off, but that's just my 2ct

OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You do not know the dealer business that well. Many dealers, lose money in new car sales. I had one friend who owned his dealer for 20 years. Every year he lost money on new car sales. Every year he made a profit though.

I’ve been in and out in 30 min before. But the paperwork was all done ahead of time. I showed up, signed the paper, wrote the check and was out. It was the end of the day, small dealer they made it quick and easy.

It’s easy. Without the middleman you pay what the manufacturer says. As someone who’s never paid what the manufacturer suggest, you would be paying that every time. No more deals for you.

If you pay $80k one day the. The manufacturer cuts the price to $70k tomorrow you are out of luck. Yes Tesla has done this. Made a lot of recent buyers pissed!
Like I said, my problem is lack of choice, not getting a rock bottom price. I don't feel the service is there like it used to be. If anything, this forum provided me with what I needed more than the dealership. And I liked my salesman, he was a real nice guy, just didn't need his service but still paid for it.

And I do know the car business. At one point my dad and uncles were all in the business. Personally I worked doing odd jobs at a dealership when I turned 15. Salesmen get a fixed amount on commission, usually not much on new cars anymore, percentage on profit on used that's way better. It may appear dealers lose money on each new cars but they get holdbacks, incentives, rebates and bonuses from banks and manufacturers. It nets them profit in the end. Not to mention the add ons and dealer fees most are forced to pay for. But the gravy is always in used cars.

So back to choice. Every week we order our groceries through Instacart. I know it costs way more than just going to the store but the service is worth it to me. I do all my work around the house, construction, plumbing, electrical yet I pay a guy to cut the grass and another to wash my cars. I value those services. It's not that I am not compassionate for people that work, quite the contrary, I pay and tip well for services I want.

And yeah, still jealous of you guys getting in and out of there quick.

Sponsored

Richtor

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Like I said, my problem is lack of choice, not getting a rock bottom price. I don't feel the service is there like it used to be. If anything, this forum provided me with what I needed more than the dealership. And I liked my salesman, he was a real nice guy, just didn't need his service but still paid for it.

And I do know the car business. At one point my dad and uncles were all in the business. Personally I worked doing odd jobs at a dealership when I turned 15. Salesmen get a fixed amount on commission, usually not much on new cars anymore, percentage on profit on used that's way better. It may appear dealers lose money on each new cars but they get holdbacks, incentives, rebates and bonuses from banks and manufacturers. It nets them profit in the end. Not to mention the add ons and dealer fees most are forced to pay for. But the gravy is always in used cars.

So back to choice. Every week we order our groceries through Instacart. I know it costs way more than just going to the store but the service is worth it to me. I do all my work around the house, construction, plumbing, electrical yet I pay a guy to cut the grass and another to wash my cars. I value those services. It's not that I am not compassionate for people that work, quite the contrary, I pay and tip well for services I want.

And yeah, still jealous of you guys getting in and out of there quick.
You don’t get choice with manufacturer. It’s take it or go somewhere else. With the dealers you get how many choices? How many chose to go with Granger, based first on price then on service?

You think you get get more choice from take it or leave it verses 300+ dealers abs thousands of salesman? That’s a laugh.

Guess what, dealers make nothing on new vehicles that includes holdback. After utilities salespeople prep interest on their lot vehicles and other general overhead they lose money. Dealers make money on finance parts and service. This is fact! They make less percentage than your local grocery makes on a bottle of milk. But at least you don’t have to negotiate. However you still get a choice!

However you want to throw that choice away. That’s up to you.

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Be careful what you wish for. The Tesla model is for people that don't like cars.

rws

Wildtrak
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 VW GTI, 2018 Silverado 1500 LT Z71
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I [like most of you on this forum] did all the research, configuration, [reconfiguration], planning, etc. via the build and price site. The ONLY service the dealership has provided is submitting the order because there wasn't an option for me [us] to send directly to Ford. And of course, they will receive the Bronco should it ever get built and delivered. So in my opinion, the dealership is like the "cashier" for my shopping experience.

Therefore, like I feel about self-checkout, if I gotta do all that, I might as well stay home and click the buttons on my computer and have stuff show up at my door.

OP
OP
jorgem31

jorgem31

Outer Banks
First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You don’t get choice with manufacturer. It’s take it or go somewhere else. With the dealers you get how many choices? How many chose to go with Granger, based first on price then on service?

You think you get get more choice from take it or leave it verses 300+ dealers abs thousands of salesman? That’s a laugh.

Guess what, dealers make nothing on new vehicles that includes holdback. After utilities salespeople prep interest on their lot vehicles and other general overhead they lose money. Dealers make money on finance parts and service. This is fact! They make less percentage than your local grocery makes on a bottle of milk. But at least you don’t have to negotiate. However you still get a choice!

However you want to throw that choice away. That’s up to you.
Let me elaborate, when I say choice I mean choice in going to a dealer or just getting it direct. I'm not saying there's a right or wrong, just preferences.

And yeah, I was going to mention the same about service but started feeling long winded. Agree on that although not so much on warranty work. Service centers get squeezed there.
Sponsored