Sponsored

Updated: RAKET “Multi-Top” Roof Rack

RAKET Roof Rack Poll….Would you rather have a...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RalBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Your Bronco Model
Base
This is exciting. Biggest priority for me would be something that could fit over my soft top. I routinely haul surfboards, sometimes at a distance, and here in NC we have unpredictable summer storms.
Sponsored

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

This is exciting. Biggest priority for me would be something that could fit over my soft top. I routinely haul surfboards, sometimes at a distance, and here in NC we have unpredictable summer storms.
YES! This rack system is specifically designed to work with top on/off. In the event there’s a change in weather, it’ll take approximately 5 minutes (once top has been installed) to place/take off the rack. Thanks for the input and please stay tuned.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Exciting News - RAKET update 7/10/22

We’ll begin the “fully functioning” prototype development starting next week. This has been an intriguing process and (primarily) its due to making a rack system that is a long term investment for Bronco owners. This will have customizable options that are not available in the market.

Enjoy the short video and keep the ideas/input coming in. Thanks.

Derick
RAKET designs
I happened to start this video (on mute) while the intro to Soundgarden's Outshined was playing on the stereo. It was uncanny.

Natai

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Sentra, Mercedes GLC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Exciting News - RAKET update 7/10/22

We’ll begin the “fully functioning” prototype development starting next week. This has been an intriguing process and (primarily) its due to making a rack system that is a long term investment for Bronco owners. This will have customizable options that are not available in the market.

Enjoy the short video and keep the ideas/input coming in. Thanks.

Derick
RAKET designs
Interesting. So the plan is to mount at the top of the windshield, instead of lower at the cowl?
How do you anticipate that impacting the dynamic/static load ratings?

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Interesting. So the plan is to mount at the top of the windshield, instead of lower at the cowl?
How do you anticipate that impacting the dynamic/static load ratings?
We’re planning on spreading the weight at a broader scale (in the front and back). More than likely part of the installation will require stronger hardware. Thanks for the input and questions…this is what helps us improve the design.

Sponsored

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Please ensure that the distance between the fore and aft support points can accommodate platforms such as those made by Yakima (LockNLoad, various lengths).

Are the rear support points where the factory hardtop bolts down to? I believe that there are four bolts per side.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Please ensure that the distance between the fore and aft support points can accommodate platforms such as those made by Yakima (LockNLoad, various lengths).

Are the rear support points where the factory hardtop bolts down to? I believe that there are four bolts per side.
We’re considering several points (and mounts) to ensure it doesn’t affect either top.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If not T-slot crossbars - the ability to mount Thule or Yakima bars would work too.
yeah that’s something I’m definitely going to research.
I‘ve already invested a lot in Yakima crossbars, kayak racks and a cargo rack for my OEM rack but I’d seriously open my wallet for a rack that has the ability to integrate with Yakima components (cross bars), increase weight carrying capacity and most importantly a rack that has the ability to carry fuel canisters (either Rotopax or Jerry cans) on the sides and possibly even recovery boards.

The only other option for carrying extra fuel are some of the bumpers such as those offered by LOD or JCR but by the time you buy the bumper and all the add ons you’re looking at $3,000 and up to carry an extra 6 to 10 gallons and that’s a bit too steep for me….

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I‘ve already invested a lot in Yakima crossbars, kayak racks and a cargo rack for my OEM rack but I’d seriously open my wallet for a rack that has the ability to integrate with Yakima components (cross bars), increase weight carrying capacity and most importantly a rack that has the ability to carry fuel canisters (either Rotopax or Jerry cans) on the sides and possibly even recovery boards.

The only other option for carrying extra fuel are some of the bumpers such as those offered by LOD or JCR but by the time you buy the bumper and all the add ons you’re looking at $3,000 and up to carry an extra 6 to 10 gallons and that’s a bit too steep for me….
Thanks for all the input. The goal is to offer options specific to owners…and not to create a rack that’s going to force you to “jerry rig” what you’re wanting. Compatibility is key but concerning because our weight limits will be affected by the compatible parts (ie. Yakima). We’re designing some stuff that will work so we’ll have to see.

Tilzbow

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GM Sierra Diesel Pick Up
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for all the input. The goal is to offer options specific to owners…and not to create a rack that’s going to force you to “jerry rig” what you’re wanting. Compatibility is key but concerning because our weight limits will be affected by the compatible parts (ie. Yakima). We’re designing some stuff that will work so we’ll have to see.
The ability to carry fuel on the sides and cargo on the top is most important to me and I suspect many others. I’d take that over the abilty to integrate with Yakima and Thule stuff.

Sponsored
OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The ability to carry fuel on the sides and cargo on the top is most important to me and I suspect many others. I’d take that over the abilty to integrate with Yakima and Thule stuff.
perfect. That (imo) is the goal. Thanks.

Itchysquatch

Badlands
First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 4runner, 2014 E class
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Following. Some intriguing and ingenious ideas here.

OP
OP
RAKET

RAKET

Big Bend
First Name
Derick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.raketdesigns.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Update 7-13-22:

Plans are being sent to several fabricators for prototype build. an idea we’re mulling over is a base package of all mounts/brackets/etc to buy…but you get to pick what basket (or rack) you want. I think it’s worth a discussion (not everyone) will want the same exact setup. That way you’re not spending money on equipment you won’t use. Just a thought.

WheelMe

Badlands
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Derick, with your system, I no longer need a hard top - you're saving me thousands of dollars right there, and it's much appreciated!

My minimum requirement is simple - a set of mounts and two cross bars. Beyond that, I would source a platform/basket, large and flexible enough to accommodate fuel cans, lage ground tent, hi-lift/shovel, cargo tubs/boxes, and maybe a canoe someday.

Looking forward to seeing your prototypes.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.