Sponsored

RC High Winch Mount Feedback?

For those that have used their winch mounted on a RC High Winch Mount...

• Total voters

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since this seems to be a pretty popular mounting option for a winch on the modular bumper, I was curious what owners' experiences have been with them after use.

With the winch mounted up so high, I want to know what the general consensus is on what, if anything, has bent after use in a vehicle recovery. I would think that quite a bit of torque gets applied to the frame horns and/or the mount itself when under load. I know frame horn reinforcements exist, but if I was running one of these, I'd be nervous the winch mount itself could bend. Is this the case or am I overthinking things?

Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount Feedback? Screenshot 2024-03-06 at 1.50.13ā€ÆPM
Sponsored

Chrome_Pony

Badlands
First Name
Chrome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2.3L Badlands High, 2017 LWN Duramax Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As I recall from the frame horn bending thread with the RC high mount was due to an error in installation with the kit as shipped at the time. Washers that were intended to bridge a gap and spread loads were not installed prior to the pull that tweaked the frame horns.

I believe later in the thread Tricky said that RC was redesigning either the kit or the instructions to make it clearer to the installer.

Personally, I prefer the security of a full one-piece replacement bumper with reinforcement brackets and a winch mount. My Badlands wears a @Brave Offroad Designs bumper that checks all my boxes, and comes with two skids.

GPPBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Transit Connect; 1997 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Based on the threads Iā€™ve read on B6G re: this winch mount, there havenā€™t been any failures that werenā€™t connected to either an improper install or bending frame horns. Iā€™m installing one this weekend with @LOD Offroad frame horn reinforcement brackets.

RC Bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '97 Geo Tracker
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I preemptively installed frame horn reinforcements from TD after reading what happened to him

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So yes, I did leave out some washers the first time around. After adding my brackets then reinstalling the RC mount correctly, the mount itself bent instead of the horns but there may have been some weakening.

In my mind even if you rule out my experience, the frame horns are questionable when you see what happened to DV8 and that Braptor, plus Ford has extra bracing with the OEM mount. I've stopped selling them so I have nothing to gain by recommending some extra support.

Sponsored

Brandon Miller

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I personally think the direct factory tow points are the best, anything else adds leverage. I am happy with my RC setup and have used it heavily..

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Just finished installing the RC high mount and built my own frame horn reinforcements!
Ford Bronco RC High Winch Mount Feedback? IMG_20240308_142245158

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hmmm.....and where may i purchase these frame-horn reinforcements you all speak of? :)

Eljohno

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Hmmm.....and where may i purchase these frame-horn reinforcements you all speak of? :)
Addictive Desert Design makes them, but I built my own out of .250 gauge steel.

Sponsored