Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
sas
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Alright yall - looking for opinions or educated assumptions here.

In my early college days I owned a 99 Wrangler that was running 33" mud tires. Having a 33" tire on the back over a long period of time caused the rear gate to sag slightly under load. It got to the point that when going to close the swing gate, I had to literally lift up on it about 1/2 inch in order for it to latch closed properly.

Essentially those little hinges didn't want to support all that weight through driving and opening/closing of the gate.

Has this problem been rectified with newer jeeps - and as such, do you think it will be an issue with the bronco using the extremely heavy sasquatch 35's?
Sponsored

Throwback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Alright yall - looking for opinions or educated assumptions here.

In my early college days I owned a 99 Wrangler that was running 33" mud tires. Having a 33" tire on the back over a long period of time caused the rear gate to sag slightly under load. It got to the point that when going to close the swing gate, I had to literally lift up on it about 1/2 inch in order for it to latch closed properly.

Essentially those little hinges didn't want to support all that weight through driving and opening/closing of the gate.

Has this problem been rectified with newer jeeps - and as such, do you think it will be an issue with the bronco using the extremely heavy sasquatch 35's?
Those new Jeeps come pre-dented near the door hinge so you don't have to worry about getting that first one in!

Joking aside, the Bronco hinges look pretty beefy, and it can open a full what? Like 150-160 degrees?
We're comparing FCA quality assurance vs. the team that builds trucks for a living.

[Edit] I'm sure the team did strength tests with the stock 35s, and it'll be a-ok.

Hey19

Badlands
First Name
JJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands 2dr 7spd, 1966 A code Mustang coupe
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think its a valid concern. Who knows until they have some time and miles on them.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

You can bet that the engineering simulations have been done with 35’s and even 37 ‘s loaded on the hinges. That being said, we’ve already seen some that have sagged. Anyone that had a mid seventies Camaro knows what it’s like to have a saggy door!

Rough Rider

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Your old jeep was never sold with 33"s, they were never tested to withstand it.

We know that the Bronco is built expecting 35's and if it happens it is a warranty issue. SO I think you should be okay.

Now, 37's....might want to buy the Warthog rear tire holder....if its different.

Sponsored

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Of cpurse its going to sag its physics ,those frog poppin 35s weigh plenty trust me bouncing around on the back all that leverage is going to sag.
The only way around it i found was to make a seperate swing away carrier out of 2x4 steel and a 1in trailer axle with bearings ,ive made plenty of these never fail pics to follow.

AcesandEights

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ace!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep sells an optional hinge reinforcement kit. You can include it on the build & price, so it's still an issue. It's also an issue depending on how you use the vehicle. If you're off road, or on a lot of washboard, expect it to wear much faster than a city-rig.

The Bronco won't be any different. It'll be designed for the 90%, which is probably how many people will only drive pavement. For those that go off road, you'll see sagging over time. All metal fatigues.

JonChicago

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Someone will bend their door, probably from abuse, and the thread title will be, "Bronco tail gate fail." It will soon get to 1000 posts and an aftermarket supplier will come up with some kind of reinforcement kit.

Gamecock

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands / Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Jeep sells an optional hinge reinforcement kit. You can include it on the build & price, so it's still an issue. It's also an issue depending on how you use the vehicle. If you're off road, or on a lot of washboard, expect it to wear much faster than a city-rig.

The Bronco won't be any different. It'll be designed for the 90%, which is probably how many people will only drive pavement. For those that go off road, you'll see sagging over time. All metal fatigues.
It's designed for the 10% actually, to be very capable off road...the 90% buy it because they want the image of what it can do and will never use it....and to your point, Bronco is very different in that hinge design element compared to Jeep, as it is designed to hold that big 35...Jeep's aren't, but they know lots of people go 35s, so they sell the kit. Bronco has the kit from the factory effectively.

As to off road wearing the hinges, that's not relly what does it, as it locks closed with the weight not on them and no movement. Stress comes when it swings open with a giant weight and lever pulling down on the hinges.

The bottom line: No problem should come from a stock 35" tire on the stock hinges, unless Ford really messed up.

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hang a 100lb wheel/tire on the back and hit the trails. My bet, over time it will have issues. Really will depend on offroad use.

Sponsored

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Your old jeep was never sold with 33"s, they were never tested to withstand it.

We know that the Bronco is built expecting 35's and if it happens it is a warranty issue. SO I think you should be okay.

Now, 37's....might want to buy the Warthog rear tire holder....if its different.
This! Jeep came with 28ish size tires back then. Jumping to 33s was bound to stress those hinges.

Dave2ID

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Mustang Ranchero
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just spent my whole day working on the swing gate hinge load fixture and I can tell you without a doubt that the hinge is very sturdy. The way it attaches to the body and the gate itself, if it "sags" you did something you should not have done.

mneblett

Badlands
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150, 2019 Mustang GT vert, 2019 Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I just spent my whole day working on the swing gate hinge load fixture and I can tell you without a doubt that the hinge is very sturdy. The way it attaches to the body and the gate itself, if it "sags" you did something you should not have done.
NOTHING like "word" straight from the horse's (Bronco's?) mouth. Thanks!

Fonz54

Badlands
First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Commander, Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes C250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know that MORryde has solved this problem for Jeep Wranglers. I have reached out to them asking if they plan on offering a possible Hinge upgrade for the Bronco.
Sponsored