Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will be one of those guys (may not know what I am doing, but I will make informed choices). Aftermarket bumper or WD hitch #1 and then go from there.
Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Yeah I've seen the towing package debate, even been a part of it, don't ask me why but I thought the hitch in the picture was standard and the tow package was to beef that up.

$600 For that Toy add on.... hell no unless it does end up with more to it. Hopefully the aftermarket wiring taps won't be too intrusive.

chrtra1

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Meh, I plan to get the 4 door, sawzall the cage, yank the the rear seats and install a 5th wheel hitch, long live the goose neck.....
I'm daring ya Billly!...

ColoradoGuy

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 4DR Badlands and a couple of Acuras
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Unless something changes for the better, I'll go without the $600 "tow package" and wait for something after market. Disappointing but not a deal breaker for me.

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Sponsored

BroncBro

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This is a can of worms that has been debated and discussed in depth for a while here.

Basically, yes, it seems that the $600 gets you the receiver and the wiring harness (4 and 7 pin, in their defense). No brake controller, no extra cooling, brakes, springs, etc. Just the receiver and harness. There is “trailer sway control” that is accessible through the dash controls, but it seems that it is standard on all trims, separate from the tow package. Many people feel that $600 is a lot for just the receiver and harness, and can save money going aftermarket.

Some people have decided to Save their $600 and invest in an aftermarket unit when it comes available. Because the Bronco is based on the next gen Ranger platform, which can tow Considerably more, they figure that it will be a trivial matter and minimal investment to instal an aftermarket receiver that attaches to the longitudinal frame rails (where those tow hooks are) and would be able to handle a higher load... and also adding more rigid springs, additional load spreading equipment, sway bars, etc etc etc.. all in the effort to push the limit beyond 3,500lbs...

All that said, the Bronco is still only *rated* for 3,500lbs (and there are a lot of factors that go into that rating, not just the receiver), so I would caution anyone to go above that rating unless they know full well what they are doing.
This should be the first post after the OP and a mandatory read. Good job @ZackDanger (y)

Eggsalad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 V8 4Runner 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
So what I’m getting out of this, is one of the reasons of the class II is because the muffler is preventing a receiver to attach to the side frames.
No, a frame-mounted hitch where the towhooks are would clear the muffler. A problem with aftermarket frame-mount would be integrating the factory 4/7 pin in. Of course the factory ClassII would be removed and only the 4/7 pin retained. Which is why people want a factory frame-mount hitch that can handle 5000lbs and have the factory 4/7 pin.
OH .. so the pick IS the tow package? So without that $600 you don't even get a hitch?

Crap... gotta have a hitch.. wonder how long before Aftermarket comes up with a solid one bolted to the frame...

I just thought of something... if that is the case, then maybe that 600 should just be applied to an aftermarket rear bumper because they come with a class 3 usually don't they?
Sure, aftermarket will provide something if Ford won't. Just plain goofy Ford can't get 5000lbs tow capacity out of those proven tow engines and a proven tow frame.
A frame-mounted hitch allows WDH with sway control. The Bronco should easily have as part of its "mission" the ability to tow a travel trailer. Goofy to build a vehicle with an inherently great tow platform and then limit it to 3500lbs.
I will be one of those guys (may not know what I am doing, but I will make informed choices). Aftermarket bumper or WD hitch #1 and then go from there.
Aftermarket will provide. I would sit down with my insurance agent and present some worst case scenarios wrecking while towing a trailer heavier than factory official tow capacity.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

The wheelbase on the two-door is quite short, but the four-door is longer than some other SUVs/CUVs with decent TC so one would think it shouldn't be as much of a problem. That's why it's surprising (and suspicious) to many of us that they have the same TC. It doesn't seem right at first glance.
Trailer sway control will be a big help for the tail wagging problem as well.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Meh, I plan to get the 4 door, sawzall the cage, yank the the rear seats and install a 5th wheel hitch, long live the goose neck.....
I wish you alllllllllll the best of luck with your sawzall on that boron steel cage!

But even if you upgrade the hitch somehow - my brief look into that for how to upgrade my Jeep to overcome the tiny tongue weight rating all seemed to involving a "local welder dude" which made me give up pretty quick - the official ratings on the door/manual are still going to say 3,500 lbs towing/350 lbs tongue. In case something happens, that seems like too much to risk.
Never discount a skilled welder. And keep your women away from him at all costs! Any skilled welder achieves 100% penetration every time!

Sponsored

futzin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
trying to overcome this kinda reminds me of those trying to overcome Gladiator trucks' lack of power for towing, bigger tires, etc.

You would hope manufacturers would take into account the customer's intended usage.

RD32

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 1st Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Negative. Class II

Ford Bronco Replacing the class II hitch 7Du2
The only reason the OEM lists as a Class 2 is the factory tow rating of 3500#. They can’t sell you a hitch rated over the factory specs or they are implying you can tow more. If you look at the OEM hitch itself it’s easily a Class3. Replacing it is a waste of money.

79613ED1-9079-4FA5-8D21-5602AE899761.jpeg
Sponsored