Sponsored

Rest your Turbos when you park before turning off car?

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
Hey everyone!

I just found something out! We should be resting our Turbos when you park before turning off car! Not only should we warm up our cars but we should let them rest first or else the Turbos will die!

This might come as a shock but when I was reading and I read that I was immediately so worried my Turbos will be dead! I'm at 4k miles and I know I have not let the SavSqch (thats my Broncos name) rest!

I am so upset FORD never told me this and between not knowing if you put 3quarts of oil or 11 quarts in engine and now this Im so upset my Bronco may not have a life of happiness and longevity!

What do you all do for your Turbos after you drive? Do you sit and rest, then turn off? I think after reading this the only acceptable time to shut off immediately is if you have turtle head poking out and you need to hit the can. Then screw the Turbos for that one time and go poop!

Am I in the minority by not resting the Bronco?
Sponsored

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I had not heard of this either. I need to read the owners manual to see also.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
I had not heard of this either. I need to read the owners manual to see also.
I dont think its in there. Its a "Turbos in vehicles" in general thing. Im worried.

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

• Banned
Nothing new to people who have driven turbo autos.... if you run the turbo hard... yes let them cool down by idling other wise don't worry about it...
This is my first Turbo. I've always had good ole V8's with no Turbos. So new to me and im worried I messed it up. I do drive like a granny though for sure. Never hard.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I knew this, I don't rest or warm up. I just don't go full bore sport mode when I in my neighborhood, well cause kids and shit.

That ASS feature throws logic all to hell in this conversation...

Sponsored

ATLBronco75

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You don't need to bother with the small stock turbos on our Ecoboosts. This is a thing for large tuned turbos that get extremely hot. Cars that are modified that much often use turbo timers. Source: I've driven exclusively turbo cars for 20 years.

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
We also have a 2022 Wildtrak and it's my own first experience with a "boosted engine" aka Turbo (or Supercharged etc.) - my Dad had a couple-a-few "Turbo Diesel" Pickups, as it's extremely common to Turbocharge a diesel engine especially for a pickup - he literally had a remote start and advanced keyfob system installed that he could set it to cool down for anywhere from 5-30 minutes before shutting off to cool the Turbocharger.

However- there is a world of difference, from what I understand, from a 1960s-70s-era mechanical Turbo on a Muscle Car and the advanced, electronically-controlled, computer-regulated boosted engines we have today, like our Ford EcoBoost Turbos.

I'll note I almost wonder if this is a troll question as you literally describe going to the bathroom, who does that?

ericwmedic

Big Bend
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Focus RS NB
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That's old school thinking. Back before the days of ceramic ball bearings, water cooled turbos, and super thin oil.

These days, we have all of these added features to help protect the turbo at start up and shut down. It can't hurt to let it rest a little, especially if you're running high RPM/"on boost" for an extended time. As long as you're running the right spec of oil and coolant though, you should be fine.

OP
OP
SavSqch

SavSqch

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Savas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You don't need to bother with the small stock turbos on our Ecoboosts. This is a thing for large tuned turbos that get extremely hot. Cars that are modified that much often use turbo timers. Source: I've driven exclusively turbo cars for 20 years.
So dont bother resting them? Do you?
Sponsored